Author Topic: William Murray Bellingham  (Read 3172 times)

Offline TracyW

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
William Murray Bellingham
« on: Wednesday 16 April 08 21:43 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have access to the Bellingham parish registers and could do me a lookup for the marriage of William Murray and Isabella (don't know the surname), probably in the 5 years before 1841.

William Murray (b. abt 1805) was a watch and clock maker who came from Longtown in Cumberland. I think that he married a Margaret in Arthuret near Longtown, had several children, perhaps she then dies and he arrived in Bellingham where he then married Isabella (born Bellingham according to the censuses).

He's not on the Pigots 1834 images on Northumberland Communities so he has to arrive later than that.

In 1841 he is with Isabella in Bellingham with a number of children but I don't think that they are all hers. IGI has 4 children in Bellingham to William Murray and Isabella - Andrew (chr 1844), Anne (chr 1845), Robert chr (1847) and Mary (chr 1851).

The 1841 Census also has a
William (my interest), aged 14, born Longtown in later census records
Jane, aged 11
Isabella, aged 9 (born Longtown in 1851 census)
John, aged 5, (1861 says born Bellingham)
Elizabeth, 10 mo (1861 Bellingham)

Many thanks!
Researching Muckles from Chatton, Ords from Bamburgh early 1800's, Fyalls originally from St Monans in Scotland, Troughtons - Cumberland to Tynemouth, Rollestones from Leicester & Old, Quarmans from Somerset

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline historylover

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Murray Bellingham
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 March 11 08:16 GMT (UK) »
I have just been directed to your Rootschat post, Tracey.

The Murray watchmakers are my line too.   I am descended from William Murray and his first wife Margaret Forster Bell through their daughter Jane born 1830.

Which is your descent line?

Patricia

Offline TracyW

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 March 11 12:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Patricia

Is that Jane b.1830?

My interest is through son William b.1828 ->Robert b.1856 ->Josephine b.1892 who married Charles Troughton. Josephine and Charles were the parents of my late step-grandfather George Troughton. His children are my half-aunt & half-uncle if that makes sense!

Robert b.1856 married Sarah Reid. In the 1891 census she is in the poor house in Alnwick, Robert is no where to be seen, and it looks as though Josephine may have been born there. Given that the Murrays may well have been comfortable, it seems as though Sarah must have been disgraced and they didn't want to take her in. Grandad alays said she was a bit of a girl, and was in South Shields as a Widow in 1901 with yet another daughter.

I never really tracked down what happened to Robert.

Tracy
Researching Muckles from Chatton, Ords from Bamburgh early 1800's, Fyalls originally from St Monans in Scotland, Troughtons - Cumberland to Tynemouth, Rollestones from Leicester & Old, Quarmans from Somerset

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cas649a

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 November 23 14:19 GMT (UK) »
I am also linked to the Murreys from Longtown via the Forsters. I have just checked the census records which state that they are in Billingham. I am going to dig deeper and see if they were there or in Bellingham. Geographically, though both in the NE, they are quite a way apart. This could be what is confusing things.

One of the Forsters from Longtown was also a watch and clock maker who migrated first to the NE before landing in London making instruments for royalty.

Offline Winterbell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 02 December 23 06:10 GMT (UK) »
Complications with logging in has caused a change of screen name, however I am writing to say that I have a book "Clockmaker of Northumberland and Durham" by Keith Bates. It gives William 1 and 2, William Henry, Andrew , James Oliver, John and Robert of Bellingham and Rothbury etc. This is one interconnected family. The book has a small photograph of William in front of his shop, which means that someone has an original photograph.

Online amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 December 23 09:16 GMT (UK) »
The original question is from 2008 so you may already have the answers.

William Murray married  Margaret Bell 17 September 1820 at Gretna Green - some transcriptions have Margaret Forster Bell.

They had
Since they married 182 there may be earlier children.
William circa 1826/7 (ref 1841 census)
Jane Ann bap 25 December 1830 Arthuret  Cumberland
Isabella bap 14 February 1836        same
John circa 1835   (ref 1841 census)

Margaret died 1839 age 36 registered Bellingham

William and Isabella maiden name Robson from GRO Index
Elizabeth reg 1840 Bellingham
Andrew  reg 1843     bap. 7 April 1844
Ann reg 1845           bap. 21 September 1845
Robert  reg 1847      bap 14 November 1847
Mary   reg 1850.      bap 4 August 1851
--------------------

Offline Winterbell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 05 December 23 03:05 GMT (UK) »
Decades since I researched and my information is stored and out of reach. I probably have this information but I have copied it just in case. My line is through Jane Ann 1830ish. Thank you.

Offline Winterbell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 12 December 23 04:01 GMT (UK) »
Post error.