Author Topic: Utkinton Hall, Cheshire  (Read 12669 times)

Offline DS

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Utkinton Hall, Cheshire
« on: Friday 18 April 08 14:30 BST (UK) »
Hi

There are a few historical references on the internet to Utkinton Hall and its association with the Done family and subsequently with the Crewe family until around 1700.

On the census returns from 1841 to 1901 the property seems to have been occupied by the Wade family.

Can anyone please provide me with some information about the Hall to indicate what happened between 1700 and 1841 ?  If there are any pictures available (from any period) I would appreciate sight of them.

I would also be interested to hear what has happened to the Hall since 1901 if anyone knows.

DS :)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jayson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Utkinton Hall, Cheshire
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 August 08 16:04 BST (UK) »
Hi DS

Have you by any chance looked at the book by Peter de Figueiredo and Julian Treuherz?  It's called "Cheshire Country Houses" and was published in 1988.  It has a picture of Utkinton Hall and a brief description of its history.  Utkinton Hall was still standing, and in a rather dilapidated condition, at the time of publication.

Jayson
"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline CatOne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 August 08 16:26 BST (UK) »
http://www.cheshiremagazine.com/Archives/utkinton.html

Have you seen this article? It says after the Crewe family, it passed into the hands of the Arden family, Richard Pepper Arden being one of them, whose parents are Richard Pepper Arden and Anna Dorothy Wilbraham (if its the one born 1792, not 1754 (IGI). The mother of Mary Done, who married Sir John Crewe, was Dorothy Wilbraham, so did the house pass into her family. The article does say the house was passed through the female line as this was stronger.

Theres also a picture of the hall in this article (from the book "Tarporley and Beeston Country")

Regards
Cat  :)
Dunning/Downing, Osborn/e, Astley -Cheshire/Birmingham/Middlesex
Fanthorpe/Hall/Driffill/Storm - Lincolnshire
Bower/Woodward/Bingham/Pettinger/Shaw - Nottinghamshire
Shaw, Marland - Lancashire
Broph(e)y - Queens County, Ireland
Richards - Neath Swansea
Hunt/Fox - Lincs, Waterfield/Middleton - Staffs
Hart/Harland/Askew/Scales - Yorkshire
Brereton/Vickers - Cheshire
Gleaves/Sandford/Hulse/Hulme - Wolstanton/Audley Staffs
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov

Offline CatOne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 August 08 16:37 BST (UK) »
thepeerage.com shows the line of inheritance from George Baillie Hamilton back to Richard Pepper Arden -

George Baillie Hamilton m. Katharine Augusta Millicent Salting

Katharine's mother was Helen Katharine Warrender

Helen's mother was the Hon. Frances Henrietta Arden

Frances b.c1792 was the daughter of Richard Pepper Arden and Anne Dorothea Wilbraham-Bootle

If Frances was born c1792 though, that means her father Richard can't be the one born 1792, he must be the earlier one (with parents John Arderne and Sarah Pepper) I guess the later Richard is her brother??

Dunning/Downing, Osborn/e, Astley -Cheshire/Birmingham/Middlesex
Fanthorpe/Hall/Driffill/Storm - Lincolnshire
Bower/Woodward/Bingham/Pettinger/Shaw - Nottinghamshire
Shaw, Marland - Lancashire
Broph(e)y - Queens County, Ireland
Richards - Neath Swansea
Hunt/Fox - Lincs, Waterfield/Middleton - Staffs
Hart/Harland/Askew/Scales - Yorkshire
Brereton/Vickers - Cheshire
Gleaves/Sandford/Hulse/Hulme - Wolstanton/Audley Staffs
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov

Offline DS

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 August 08 17:36 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thank you both for the information and sorry for the delay in acknowledging it (we have been away for a few days).

I had already got a copy of the Cheshire Magazine article and photograph. I also have various other items relating to the Done, Crewe and Arden families when they were in possession of the property. My real interest was to learn how the property subsequently came to be in the possession of the Wade family.

When I originally posted the topic I thought that the Wade family owned it during the census years. However, I have subsequently obtained various wills from Cheshire CC Records Office and it is now clear that the property was only leased by the Wades.

Nonetheless they still lived there for over 100 years and I would be interested to see anything else that might be available about the Hall.

I also have the photograph appended below which shows another aspect of the property taken in modern times and a few others showing the boundary walls of the "estate" with glimpses of the Hall above them.

I had seen mention of the book referred to by Jayson but at £30 per copy I thought that it was a bit expensive to buy for the limited amount of information that I wanted which might (or might not) be included in it. One of these days I will seek it out and have a look. Do you happen to know whether the picture, that is included in it, is different from those that I already have ?

If there was a picture of the Hall in its splendour before it was plundered by the Royalists, that would be worth seeing.

Many thanks again for your interest and help.

DS

Photograph extracted from http://amaxus.english-heritage.org.uk/inspired/upload/pdf/HAR_North_West_Acc.pdf

Offline Jayson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 August 08 10:20 BST (UK) »
Hi

Yes, the picture in Cheshire Country Houses is different to the one you have shown us here.

You could get the book via the inter loan library system.

Jayson

Offline DS

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 05 August 08 20:21 BST (UK) »

Hi Jayson

Thank you for responding.

A copy of the book has been located in a local Reference Library :o and I am hoping to go and have a look at it in the near future.

Cheers

DS :)

Offline DS

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 07 August 08 17:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Jayson

I went to the Reference Library today to view a copy of "Cheshire Country Houses" by Peter de Figueiredo and Julian Treuherz and I obtained a copy of the photograph of Utkinton Hall that is contained therein.

A smaller version of it appears below but I have indulged in a bit of “Do it Yourself” and carried out some (virtual) repair work to the walls and pillars ;D

Many thanks for bringing it to my attention.

DS

Offline Jayson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 11 August 08 14:26 BST (UK) »
Hi DS

Your welcome.  It is a VERY good picture of the place, and in need of great attention by the looks of it.  One can almost imagine it as the dilapidated abode of Miss Haversham, with Pip nervously waiting at the gates for Estella to let him in. ;D

Jayson