Author Topic: Emigration to Australia  (Read 2930 times)

Offline Jaki

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Emigration to Australia
« on: Monday 05 April 04 03:05 BST (UK) »
Hi

I know that my great grandparents came to Australia in 1926. They were originally from around the area of Barnsley Yorkshire.

I have been told that they came to Australia in September, whether they arrived here then or left then i don't know

What i would like to know is what would be the most likely port they would have left from and how long the journey would have been.

I can get a list of the ships arriving in Australia in 1926 and i want to be able to narrow down the search area so that i can limit the number of passenger lists i would need to get copies of.

Thanks for any help

Jaki
<i>OK Charles Henry Kingwell when did you arrive in Australia????</i><br /><b>Coates</b> - Warwickshire, Staffordshire??<br /><b>Hall</b> - Warwickshire, Yorkshire<br /><b>Hirst</b> - Yorkshire<br /><b>Kingwell, Bulley, Bunce</b> - Devon<br /><b>Sample</b> - Northumberland, Durham<br /><b>Shipp</b> - Gloucester<br /><b>MacGillivray, Grant, Forbes, McBean</b> - Scotland

Offline G.Davies

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re:Emigration to Australia
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 April 04 11:48 BST (UK) »
Jaki,
        My father came to Australia in 1926 on the SS Ballarat arrived Sydney in August 11th.He left from London.Journeys took 6 weeks.Go to    www.naa.gov.au they will have passenger lists.Good Luck Gary

Offline bearireland

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re:Emigration to Australia
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 June 04 05:56 BST (UK) »
jaki my dad imigrated to aus from england said
it took 6 weeks
diane ;D