Author Topic: Finlay Henderson of Bonhill (1881-1918)  (Read 2827 times)

Offline DDJJake

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Finlay Henderson of Bonhill (1881-1918)
« on: Saturday 19 April 08 08:10 BST (UK) »
Any relatives of Finlay Henderson of Bonhill still alive?

My 4th cousin Mark Henshaw (Former Kodak Employee - Now a volunteer Kodak History Researcher) in Rochester, NY, USA writes:-
Last week I discovered a great book in one of our local libraries that will provide me with much assistance in ongoing research into the contributions of Eastman Kodak Company men in the First World War. It looks as if this wonderful work World War Service Record of Rochester and Monroe County was actually discarded by the Rochester Public Library but salvaged by the Village Library in Brockport. Three volumes, one with information on the service of all City and County residents who died in service during the war, one with a brief sketch of the service of all 2000+ local individuals who served but were not killed, and a third with write-ups on all the industries and local organizations that contributed to the war effort (including many black-and-white photographic plates of cameras and other instruments manufactured by Kodak that I have found nowhere else!)
Finlay Henderson, the man I mentioned to you before who was listed among those who worked at Kodak before the war and died in the service, is listed in the book - the write-up on his service is included below for your information:
Finlay Henderson
According to World War Service Record of Rochester and Monroe County, Vol. I:
“Finlay Henderson, 58 Electric Ave., Rochester, NY, was born in Alexandria, Scotland. Prior to the war he was employed by Eastman Kodak Company at Rochester, NY. He was a member of Clan McNaughton.
Entered the service at Lindsay, Canada, May 7, 1917, in the Canadian Army, being assigned to Company C, 21st battalion, Canadian Infantry, 2nd Division. Embarked overseas, May 28, 1917, on the transport Olympic, arriving at Liverpool, England, June 8, 1917. He was trained at Seaford, England. Engaged in action at Passchendacle; Amiens; Neuville-Vitasse; Arras; and Monchy-le-Preux.
Killed in action, October 11, 1918, at Monchy-le-Preux. Buried in Niagara Canadian Cemetery, Iwuy, near Cambrai, France.”
His name appears among the listing of those who died in service on the Kodak Park Memorial Plaque, Bldg. 28 Lobby.

DDJJake's findings:-
Findlay Henderson [note his grandfather is named as Finlay ... not Findlay as the 1881 spelling has him]
was born at 18 Mitchell Street, Alexandria, Parish of Bonhill (near the south end of Loch Lomond)
on November Seventh, 1881.
Findlay's father was Duncan Henderson [Machine Printer in 1881][Yarn Dyer in 1880]
Findlay's mother was Christina Smith Parlane
Findlay's parents married on the Sixteenth of July, 1880 in Bonhill Parish according to the Forms of The Church of Scotland.
Duncan was then 27 years old and Christina was 22 years old [and empoyed as a Printfield Hand]

Data:-
Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details

RootsChat must deal with any breach of copyright by its members.

For some time the team of Copyright Editors has been removing breaches of copyright and sending detailed personal messages to the member that had posted the information.  Due to the volume of posts and members this is now impractical.  Messages in breach will simply be deleted and this notice posted.  We apologise for any inconvenience caused but are sure you will appreciate the importance of this issue.

Duncan's birth was not registered on the OPRs around 1853 [not an uncommon occurrence]
However, Christina's was registered ..
Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details
Finlay's Grandparents were,
a)
Finlay Henderson [Journeyman Shoemaker - i.e apprenticeship fully served] and Jane (Jean) Scott
also c.f. 1861 Census
JEAN SCOTT  born in 1812 in Gargunnock, Stirling .... [coincidence JH's village 1971-2000]
  Female    [also mother of John Simpson in Drymen by Alexander Simpson in 1840]
Marriages:
  Spouse:  FINLAY HENDERSON  born in 1808 in Gargunnock, Stirling   
  Marriage:  19 DEC 1846   Bonhill, Dunbarton, Scotland
 Extracted marriage record for locality listed in the record.  **
Offspring: James b. 1844/45 : Peter b. 1846/47 : Jean b. 1848/49 : *DUNCAN b. 1853* all in Bonhill
and,
b)
James Parlane [Journeyman Calico Block Printer] and Agnes Neilson Smith
JAMES PARLANE
  Male   
Marriage:
  Spouse:  AGNES SMITH   
  Marriage:  07 DEC 1839   Bonhill, Dunbarton, Scotland
James Parlane was born in Kilbarchan, Renfrew in 1814
Agnes Neilson Smith was born in Buchlyvie, Stirling in 1816
By 1861 they had had at least eight children
Agnes 1840: John 1846: James 1850: Robert 1850; Walter 1852
Andrew 1854: Patrick 1856: *CHRISTINA 1858*  ... ALL BORN IN BONHILL
Auchmutie, Ingles, Henderson, Fife, Patrick, Moffat, Collier, Hunter, McLeod, Cassells  in Fife
Henderson, Nicoll, Baxter, Hill in Angus, Nicoll in California USA, Australia
Henderson Cuthbert, Hendry in Perth, and NY State
Telfer, Walker, Rennie, Maclaren in Falkirk, Glasgow, Paisley, USA, Australia, NZ
Rennie in Winnipeg
Richardson in Lochmaben, Dumfries
Kerr in Midlothian, Stirling, Illinois, Ontario, Manitoba
Waddel in West Lothian, Ohio
McMillan in Argyll

Offline AHende1006

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Finlay Henderson of Bonhill (1881-1918)
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 November 21 18:54 GMT (UK) »
Dear DDJACK

I just found your 2008 post on my Great, Great Uncle Finlay Henderson and can confirm that he does have living relatives. He was my Gt Grandfather Henderson's brother. I found the Kodak book online which was really helpful as it had a photograph of him which we did not have anywhere else in the family.  I have also been to his grave in Iwuy, back in 98 or 99 whilst travelling on business through N France. Such a tragedy to die just before war ended!

Do you have more information beyond the post?

Kind regards

Andrew Henderson

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 November 21 15:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andrew and welcome to rootschat DDJack has not been active on here since 2016 ..If their contact details are the same they will receive a notification that you have posted and hopefully make contact

Rosie :)

Offline AHende1006

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 November 21 15:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks

Andrew

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 29 November 21 16:32 GMT (UK) »