Author Topic: Edward Warren  (Read 2189 times)

Offline DuncanFauvel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edward Warren
« on: Friday 25 April 08 15:27 BST (UK) »
Hey all,
I've been doing some family history research, and I'm making some decent progress, but I've reached a bit of a dead end with one generation.

My GGG Grandfather was, I believe, one EDWARD WARREN. He is listed on census records as having been born c.1806 in POOLE, DORSET.
He is also listed as being a watch/clockmaker by profession in the SE of England, predominantly Kent.

From the information I can gather, he was born in Poole, moved to Kent/Surrey and married 'Mary' (surname unknown, b.c 1816 Ash, Kent) where he worked as a watch/clockmaker.

He had 4 children - Elizabeth; Adelisa; Eliza and Augustus (my GG Grandfather), who went on to work as a schoolkeeper in Camberwell.

What I would like to know is ANY information anyone can find on an Edward Warren and family who lived in Dorset/Poole around 1806. I'd really like to know who his parents and siblings were.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Warren
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 April 08 16:49 BST (UK) »
Hi,

A birth certifcate of one of the children will show the maiden name of "Mary"; might make it easier to find the marriage.

Could this be your Augustus?

Augustus Warren  Jun 1845    Eastry  5    148    (found on FreeBMD)

Eastry is in Kent.

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DuncanFauvel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 April 08 18:50 BST (UK) »
Hi,

A birth certifcate of one of the children will show the maiden name of "Mary"; might make it easier to find the marriage.

Could this be your Augustus?

Augustus Warren  Jun 1845    Eastry  5    148    (found on FreeBMD)

Eastry is in Kent.

Nanny Jan

Thank you. That is possibly him; I have his birth as c.1846 and place of birth as Ware, Herts... I actually know a fair bit about Augustus, I've just been struggling with Edward. There seems to be a huge brick wall between those generations, and getting beyond him is proving a bit of a pain!  :-\

Offline DuncanFauvel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 April 08 21:49 BST (UK) »
Still really struggling. I've searched countless times for an Edward Warren b. c.1906 in Poole, Dorset, and all I come up with is a couple of Edward Warrens born around that time in Marnhull, Dorset.

I've followed up their details and neither match in any way! Very confused.

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 25 April 08 22:29 BST (UK) »
The 1851 census has the children as being born in Westminster St Margaret (Elizabeth, 13), Canterbury (Adeliza, 8 ), Ash (Augustus, 5) and Eastry (Eliza J, 3), so Ware seems unlikely.
Adeliza's registration is Jun 1843 and Elizabeth's is Dec 1839, so they could have been in Middlesex in 1841.

Both the 1851 and 1861 census list Edward as Edward D Warren.

Richard
All the families I am researching are listed on the main page here:
www.64regencyancestors.com

Census: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 25 April 08 22:36 BST (UK) »

Have you looked to see if Edward left a Will?  If so, he might have mentioned brothers/sisters.

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DuncanFauvel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 26 April 08 18:42 BST (UK) »
The 1851 census has the children as being born in Westminster St Margaret (Elizabeth, 13), Canterbury (Adeliza, 8 ), Ash (Augustus, 5) and Eastry (Eliza J, 3), so Ware seems unlikely.
Adeliza's registration is Jun 1843 and Elizabeth's is Dec 1839, so they could have been in Middlesex in 1841.

Both the 1851 and 1861 census list Edward as Edward D Warren.

Richard

Thank you, I did wonder about what Nanny Jan said after having found out that one of the girls was born in Eastry. It seems VERY likely they were almost solely Kent based, then.

Also the D is very interesting. I did see that record before, and the initial, but I had since forgotten it (must learn to save information!). I have found an Edward D Warren baptised in Dorset c.1802, so it seems this may be more promising.

Offline DuncanFauvel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 26 April 08 18:44 BST (UK) »

Have you looked to see if Edward left a Will?  If so, he might have mentioned brothers/sisters.

Nanny Jan

I hadn't, no. Any sort of advice like this is very helpful, so thank you.

I think you may well have also been spot on with Augustus' birthplace of Eastry, also! I wonder why they would have recorded it as Ware.

Offline DuncanFauvel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 26 April 08 18:48 BST (UK) »
Childs Name Edward Davies WARREN Parents s.o James & Sarah Date 21 Mar 1802 Parish Poole St James

This is surely him! :)