Author Topic: Tottenham Cemetary  (Read 22240 times)

Offline Newspeaker

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tottenham Cemetary
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 26 March 11 19:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, I have just started researching my family tree and found this site when doing a google search for Tottenham Cemetery and saw your message looking for info on it.  Did you find what you were looking for?  I only ask as I have just found the grave number that my grandfather is buried at and plan to go the cemetery at some point soon to find it and maybe I could look for yours for you as you are so far away? 

Jo

Offline weeknightingale

• RootsChat Extra
  • I shall have to go back through the looking-glass
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 16 May 11 02:54 BST (UK) »
Hi there, I have just started researching my family tree and found this site when doing a google search for Tottenham Cemetery and saw your message looking for info on it.  Did you find what you were looking for?  I only ask as I have just found the grave number that my grandfather is buried at and plan to go the cemetery at some point soon to find it and maybe I could look for yours for you as you are so far away? 

Jo
Hi Jo,
Good luck on your family search. Tell us if you had any luck finding your family who are buried at Tottenham Cemetery. It is a huge place but seems to be cared for since it is still an active cemetery. All I know is that I visited there with my grandmother many years ago when I was just a wee little girl.  :( I have a vague memory! We lived not far from there. I recognized some familiar place names. We lived in Wood Green and my Uncle lived in Islington. That was a very long time ago and places and times have changed.
My cousin who was searching for his father's grave will visit there in the future sometime. His son will be getting married so that has delayed his trip. He lives in Australia.  ::)

I did enter my Uncle's burial information in the find a grave dot com site. At that site I also found a map which gave the location of the northern section. It is huge! I also viewed the google maps which also gave the cemetery location. I also found some Tottenham Cemetery photos on flicker. All this helped give an idea of the location size of the place. Need to plan ahead when visiting to give plenty of time to talk with grounds person regarding help with location of grave.

Someday hopefully soon we will have actual pictures of the grave stone.
Thanks for your comment. Good luck with your genealogy research. Never give up!
~happy thoughts through my looking-glass~
K
Robin  =O:> Glasgow, Scotland and England
Cameron, Mason, 
  Beaumont Neilson,
       Buchanan Gilkerson [of Kentucky],
               Meikljohn, Eltze.
Walter Robin 1719-1784 & Isabel Gardner 1724-1769

...if I don't make haste, I shall have to go back through the looking-glass...back into the old room-and there'd be an end of all my adventures! .

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 16 May 11 15:43 BST (UK) »
Hi

Be aware there are two London cemeteries with the name Tottenham, though only one of them is actually in Tottenham.

Tottenham Cemetery, White Hart Lane, Tottenham N9 (opened 1856)

and

Tottenham Park Cemetery, Dodsley Place off Montagu Road, Edmonton N9 (opened 1912)

The cemeteries are only a couple of miles apart.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline weeknightingale

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 16 May 11 16:57 BST (UK) »
Hi

Be aware there are two London cemeteries with the name Tottenham, though only one of them is actually in Tottenham.

Tottenham Cemetery, White Hart Lane, Tottenham N9 (opened 1856)
and
Tottenham Park Cemetery, Dodsley Place off Montagu Road, Edmonton N9 (opened 1912)
The cemeteries are only a couple of miles apart.
Regards
Valda

Thank you, Valda for that information. Good point to take into consideration. However, I strongly believe with the search results given my Uncle's grave is in the Northern section of Tottenham Cemetery on White Hart Lane. Time will tell when we actually can visit, find it and take photos. My travel days are over so I await my cousin's trip sometime soon in the near future. He has searched and waited many years to find his father's last resting place. I live in Southern California and he lives in Australia.
It will be a dream come true!
Fingers crossed!Thanks,
~happy thoughts through my looking-glass~
K
Cameron, Mason, 
  Beaumont Neilson,
               Meikljohn, Eltze.

...if I don't make haste, I shall have to go back through the looking-glass...back into the old room-and there'd be an end of all my adventures! .

Offline Mohli

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 16 June 11 16:25 BST (UK) »
I hope you will find some useful information from the following links relating to London's cemeteries.The costs for a search are very expensive but the second link is for an online database in progress

http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/Corporation/LGNL_Services/Community_and_living/Deaths_funerals_and_cremations/Cemetery_and_crematorium/burial_registers.htm

https://www.deceasedonline.com/servlet/GSDOSearch

www.islington.gov.uk/heritage

Offline weeknightingale

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 16 June 11 17:33 BST (UK) »
I hope you will find some useful information from the following links relating to London's cemeteries.The costs for a search are very expensive but the second link is for an online database in progress

http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/Corporation/LGNL_Services/Community_and_living/Deaths_funerals_and_cremations/Cemetery_and_crematorium/burial_registers.htm

https://www.deceasedonline.com/servlet/GSDOSearch

www.islington.gov.uk/heritage
:)

Hello,
Thanks for your informative post. I really enjoyed checking out the links!
The audio/visual of Islington and the walking tours are great. I will pass the links on to my cousin. I have no idea at this point when he will be going to visit the UK. For sure after his son's wedding I would think.  Islington will be a place that he will see on passing through to Tottenham when he goes to make the first long awaited visit to his father's grave site at Tottenham Cemetery.
Thanks again,
K :)

Cameron, Mason, 
  Beaumont Neilson,
               Meikljohn, Eltze.

Offline Mohli

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 17 June 11 09:56 BST (UK) »
Hello K

Glad you found it useful, London and Middlesex can be very confusing at times with all the different parishes.  My Mum was born in Tottenham which was registered in Edmonton and now Haringey and came under Middlesex, no wonder it takes so long to find who you are searching for.

If you haven't already found the site Genuki gives most of the info on nearly every place in the UK

Mo

Offline weeknightingale

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 17 June 11 12:35 BST (UK) »
Hello K

Glad you found it useful, London and Middlesex can be very confusing at times with all the different parishes.  My Mum was born in Tottenham which was registered in Edmonton and now Haringey and came under Middlesex, no wonder it takes so long to find who you are searching for.

If you haven't already found the site Genuki gives most of the info on nearly every place in the UK

Mo

Thanks Mo,
As  a wee girl we lived in Wood green. So looking at the map many of the area and main street names ring bells. I'm sure the places have changed since I was only 5 0r 6 years old when we left. (So many  :o many years ago!) I have vague memories. Thanks again!
K
Cameron, Mason, 
  Beaumont Neilson,
               Meikljohn, Eltze.

Offline haliared

• RootsChat Senior
  • The future rests upon the foundations of the past.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 03 July 11 16:35 BST (UK) »
My grandparents are buried in the Northern Section of Tottenham Cemetery too, but they do not have a headstone there-so be prepared, especially as you all live so far away, and is quite some journey, it would be awful if you get there expecting to find a stone and there is nothing, as happened in our case, and is quite common.
You feel somehow so desolate looking at open ground !

Good luck, and I hope that you find what you are looking for.
Census & BMD information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk