Author Topic: Old Ross about 1840 - description please- COMPLETED  (Read 8007 times)

Offline Chilis

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Old Ross about 1840 - description please- COMPLETED
« on: Wednesday 30 April 08 11:56 BST (UK) »
Only recently established the baptism of 2 x gt. grandfather and one sibling in Old Ross 1838 and 1840.  (Church of Ireland).  Seem to have moved on to Carlow or maybe Kilkenny later.

I wonder about an Anglo Irish origin, so is someone able to give me an idea of what was in and about Old Ross at the time the family was there?  Occupation of father unknown at that time, but later schoolteacher/policeman.  Haven't found any website description of Old Ross as yet..

Chilis

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Old Ross about 1840 - description please
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 May 09 20:55 BST (UK) »
some Old Ross extracts transcribed from Lewis 1837

"ROSS (OLD), or ST. MARYS, OLD ROSS, a parish, in the barony of Bantry, county of Wexford, and province of Leinster, about 3 miles from New Ross.... containing 2402 inhabitants....

..the castle built in this parish by Strongbow, or his daughter Isabella.. ...on an extensive tract of elevated meadow land, which in Wales is called Rhós or Ros, is supposed to have been the origin of its name..

...parish comprises 1792 acres, chiefly under tillage, and of which the greater part was set out in farms of 40 acres each..part of a colony introduced here from Germany by the late Mrs. Ram.

..old church having been destroyed by the insurgents in 1798, a plain building without tower or spire was erected in its stead..."

Old Ross is included in the New Ross section of Slater's of 1846 - which can be viewed online at this link : http://www.failteromhat.com/slater.htm

link to New Ross pages : http://www.failteromhat.com/slater/0389.pdf
    http://www.failteromhat.com/slater/0390.pdf
    http://www.failteromhat.com/slater/0391.pdf

Shane

Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Summerhill

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 May 09 22:30 BST (UK) »
If you contact Mr. Bernard Browne Mill quarter Old Ross ,he has written a book about Old Ross and it is a very extensive & comprehensive history. I think it is called Old Ross- The place that time forget.  But Wexford Co. Library should have a copy. Published in 1990's.  I live only 2 miles from Old Ross and my husbands family are buried there in St. Marys C. of I churchyard.  However if your ancestors were catholic the burial records are held by Cushinstown Churchwhich is only 2 miles away. If they were protestant, then contact the rector REv. Lynne Rogers , The Rectory, College Road, New Ross, Co. Wexford.  She keeps the parish registersfor Old Ross. Old Ross was settled with German Palatines in 17000s, but alot of them were massacared at Scullabogue in 1798.

Offline Chilis

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 May 09 15:20 BST (UK) »
Very grateful indeed to you, Shane for taking the time to give a bit of description to Old Ross and also for pointing me to the directories.  I'm going to find that site very useful.

Summerhill, too, has my thanks for telling me about Mr Browne's book on Old Ross and for the contact address for Rev. Lynne Rogers.  I have already sent letters to both.

Both messages have inspired me this morning to head for Hay on Wye on the Welsh/English border, a town famous for its secondhand books.  There I have acquired an old book on the History of Ireland.  Front pages have been torn out, so that I am none the wiser about the author/publisher, but it gives a vivid account of the sorts of actions in and around Wexford just before the1800's.

I'm hopeful then of finding out more about my gt.gt.grandparents Francis ASH and Anne ADLEY and their offspring born late 1830's - mid 1840's.  Were they originally from the area or not, etc.

Thanks again for responding to my posting
Chilis 

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 May 09 15:31 BST (UK) »
no problem,

good luck with your research.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Summerhill

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 May 09 21:37 BST (UK) »
No problem Chillis, also contact Mrs. Jenny Nuttall, Mac Murrough, New Ross, Co. Wexford. Jenny is a member of the local Church of Ireland, but is also a local historian. She may be able to help you also. A gentleman called Ken Hemmingway transcribed the Old Ross parish registers about 10 years ago.  If you contact Rev. Lynne or Jenny either of them could put you in touch with Ken.

best of luck in your research,

summerhill

Offline johnno900

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Old Ross about 1840 - description please- COMPLETED
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 17 September 09 21:03 BST (UK) »
Howdy Folks,
Interesting to see you all having a chat about Old Ross! It's a great place to live! There was tercentenary 'songs of praise' night in Old Ross church Wednesday 9th Sept 2009 to remember the arrival of the palatine families in the autumn of 1709. It was a great get together for all the locals, church of ireland patrons and palatine descendants. A great map of Old Ross can be found on www.pasthomes.com. The map is from c.1840 and even describes the house I am living in as a Female School.

Check it out and let me know what you think! There are many good books on Old Ross, Bernard Brownes as mentioned above is the most dedicated. Because New Ross celebrated it's 800th anniversary recently, there have been alot of books written which all have great sections on Old Ross and what it was like back in medieval times. Try 'New Ross-Rosponte-Ros Mhic Treoin' ISBN:978-0-9551467-6-3.