Author Topic: (Manchester) 1841/1851/1861 Census Lookups Please For John Rossiter  (Read 1267 times)

Offline rcuser

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "The truth is out there",Special Agent Fox Mulder
    • View Profile
(Manchester) 1841/1851/1861 Census Lookups Please For John Rossiter
« on: Thursday 01 May 08 15:28 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am doing a one name study of the Rossiter family and am looking for information please about the parents, grandparents and siblings of John Rossiter born circa 1852 in Manchester.

He emigrated to New Zealand and married Amelia Ridgeway in 1871.

Any information would be greatly appreciated please. TIA.

Best wishes

rcuser
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching Rossiter, Finn, Wright, Vaughan, Bloor, Acton, Clay, Moorhouse, Foxall, Hart, Knott and many other families

Offline aggiebagwash

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: (Manchester) 1841/1851/1861 Census Lookups Please For John Rossiter
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 May 08 23:06 BST (UK) »
Can't see him on the 1861 census. Have looked under various spellings and birthdates 5 years either side of 1852. What did he call his children, that may be a clue as to his parents names.

Margaret

Offline rcuser

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 May 08 07:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Margaret,

Thanks for that.

Unfortunately all the children were born in New Zealand.

Georgina the eldest was born July 8th 1875 in Carterton, Wellington.

On another note, Amelia Ridgway was born circa 1856 in Manchester. She was the daughter of James Ridgeway & Jane Birch. Is it possible to find James through her please?

Best wishes

rcuser

Researching Rossiter, Finn, Wright, Vaughan, Bloor, Acton, Clay, Moorhouse, Foxall, Hart, Knott and many other families

Offline aggiebagwash

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 May 08 13:28 BST (UK) »
After searching the Lancashire area for the marriage of James and Jane I actually found it in the 1st quarter 1852 at St Thomas Church, Heaton Norris, Stockport, Cheshire. So it looks like they weren't from Manchester in the first place but if you look on a map you will see how close the two places are. I don't know about the mid-Victorian times but nowadays if you live around the Manchester area you say you're from there when you are abroad because everyone knows where that is (usually because of Man United).

The only Amelia Ridgway I could find around Manchester was born in 2nd quarter 1851 in Stockport. So it looks like she was a very early baby!!!!

I can't find either James or Jane on the 1861 census so it's looking like both families emigrated before the 1861 census doesn't it? I wonder if the two families met on board ship and then settled in the same area?

I searched the 1851 census for both James and Jane but there are too many with the same names to positively identify the right one's sadly.

If you send for their marriage certificate I would be able to find them on the 1841/51 censuses and thus get their father's names.

Margaret

Offline rcuser

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 02 May 08 14:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Margaret,

Many thanks for that.

It looks like the information I had was inaccurate so that Manchester meant somewhere in the Manchester area.

I'll have a further look round and see if I can did something up.

Thanks again for your help.

Best wishes

rcuser