Author Topic: Have you discovered a (living) famous person in your extended family?  (Read 16565 times)

Offline little meg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Have you discovered a (living) famous person in your extended family?
« Reply #63 on: Wednesday 26 March 08 07:51 GMT (UK) »
I got  prematurely excited when I discovered that John Jarrett, aussie actor, was a relo. 
Turned out that he was related to my distant cousins and not me.
Close but no cigars :'(

John Jarrett, for those not in the know, played Ned Kelly after Mick Jagger and before Heath Ledger.  ;D ;D

Margaret
Simpson-Kildwick,Yorkshire & Australia, Overend-Sutton, Kildwick,Yorkshire & Australia, Whitaker - Cononley/Yorkshire, Pickard - Silsden/Yorkshire, Howarth - Skipton/Yorkshire and Lancashire, Heaton-Yorkshire, Preston-Yorkshire, Myers-Yorkshire & Australia, Wild-Yorkshire & Australia. Storey-Middlesex/Australia

Offline Windsor87

• RootsChat Senior
  • Rose of Ballivat
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Wednesday 26 March 08 21:20 GMT (UK) »
Rupert Murdoch descends from a Garden family of Rosehearty.
I descend from a Garden family of Aberdour (just down the road from Rosehearty).

Unfortunately I have been unable to prove a link, but I'm working on it.  ;)
Strachan of Strichen/New Pitsligo - Connon of Turriff - Watt of Pennan - Noble of Broadsea -  Garden of Peterhead - Bryson of Ecclefechan

Offline stoney

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum, bless her!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Wednesday 26 March 08 22:28 GMT (UK) »
Depends how you categorise "famous" - my cousin's wife has a cookery show on American TV; Hubby's G Aunt knew the composer Holst; and Hubby's in "Who's Who".......

Will you share who has the cooking show? Is it on the Food Network. I love that channel.  ;D

Kath

Have no idea what channel - given they have so many stations there! They live in New Hampshire so it may be just a local thing - think I'd have heard if they'd networked it! I think the programme's called "Cooking with Oonagh".
Beattie, Beveridge, Carson, Davidson, Hounam, Johnston,  Purdon, Rae, Stevenson, - Scotland.  Brown, Bulman, Cooke, Harding, Meyers, Osborne, Routledge - England

Offline kateblogs

• RootsChat Member
  • Youth is wasted on the young
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Wednesday 26 March 08 22:36 GMT (UK) »
Apparently, I'm related to someone who canoodled with Princess Diana, but I have never met him.

We are also supposed to be related to the actor Ian McShane, but I have never found the connection. Having said, I can see a resemblance to some members of my family.
GILBY - Essex, Warwickshire and Cambridgeshire
OWENS - Yorkshire (West Riding) and Ireland
PUGH - Yorkshire, Derbyshire, Cheshire, and Nottinghamshire
RYLANDS - Liverpool and Ireland

Offline suffolk*sue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Catherine Sandys & Sarah Richardson,where are you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Wednesday 26 March 08 23:40 GMT (UK) »
A direct descendant of Edwin Sandys who was Archbishop of York in the 1500s.

Also a link to Mr Boon who started the publishing company Mills and Boon.
Census information is Crown Copyright  -  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Josee

• RootsChat Member
  • Looking everywhere!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Thursday 27 March 08 00:26 GMT (UK) »
On my fathers side we are supposed to be related to the actor who used to play Vince in Crossroads, 8) 8)
 I think he's stll alive ;D

Jo
Barrow, Fletcher, Clayton, Booth, Elderton, Allen & Warnock, Nanfan, :all Manchester, Taylor in NZ
Finlayson/Hargreaves/Barrow in Canada.

Offline nickgc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • GGF J. James McLellan 1864-1908
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Thursday 27 March 08 10:46 GMT (UK) »
Yes!  I am no more than the 50th cousin of every living famous person, regardless of how you define "fame" (and Paris Hilton doesn't count... in fact, she probably CAN'T count).  And so are all of you.

And so are we no more than that far distant in relation to all the dead famous people.   It is estimated that the common ancestor of everyone now living was alive 1000 years ago (30 generations).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cousin
McLellan - Inverness
Greer - Renfrewshire
Manson - Aberdeen & Orkney
Simpson - Hereford, Devon, etc.
Flett - Orkney
Chisholm - Scotland
Wishart - Orkney
Shand - Aberdeen
Pirie - Aberdeen

-----
Theology is never any help; it is searching in a dark cellar at midnight for a black cat that isn't there.   -Robert Heinlein

Offline LoneyBones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wot, me worry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Thursday 27 March 08 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Yeah, well thay can say that can't they. How many people do you know who has a family tree that goes back 30 generations?  :o
The most I can claim is a doubtful 9th generation. :-\
Leonie.
Direct matriarchal line; ENNIS-Yeatman-Cooper-Papps-Ryland-Lechford/Luxford-Bagshaw-Henriett
ENNIS-Thomas-Bonnin-Aldridge-Williams-Harding-Brown.
ENNIS-Davis/Davies-Buck-Oakley-
JONES-Roberts-Handy-Ross-Warrillow-Eagles-Cotterill-Bailey.
JONES-Walton-Grayson-Stobbs-Baldwin-Ibbotson-Scott.
JONES-Goodwin-Parker-Instant-Hubbard-Hancock-Skinner.

STILL LOOKING FOR: Elizabeth Ann Balfour ENNIS nee DAVIS. Disappeared in Adelaide, South Australia. 1881.

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Thursday 27 March 08 13:32 GMT (UK) »
Yes!  I am no more than the 50th cousin of every living famous person, regardless of how you define "fame" (and Paris Hilton doesn't count... in fact, she probably CAN'T count).  And so are all of you.

And so are we no more than that far distant in relation to all the dead famous people.   It is estimated that the common ancestor of everyone now living was alive 1000 years ago (30 generations).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cousin

That should read a common ancestor.  This is hardly surprising since 30 generations ago you will have had up to two to the power of thirty ancestors.  This is in the order of one billion ancestors.  I say "up to"  because many of them will be ancestors on more than one line.  A tree which shows just your direct ancestors will be a little large.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk