Author Topic: Quaker Records are now online  (Read 5413 times)

Offline Mean_genie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Quaker Records are now online
« on: Monday 05 May 08 15:51 BST (UK) »
The birth, marriage and death registers of the Society of Friends (Quakers) 1578-1841 in RG6 were launched by www.bmdregisters.co.uk at WDYTYA Live this weekend.

I haven't had a chance to have a proper look at them yet, but hopefully they are complete (the RG4 and RG5 records were well short of complete when they were first released). Unfortunately they are still only available on a pay-per-view basis, there is no subscription option, so it can work out rather expensive.

There is only a short paragraph of explanation about the records on the site, but you can find out more on TNA's website

www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/displaycataloguedetails.asp?CATID=12175&CATLN=3&Highlight=&FullDetails=True

Apparently the Fleet Registers (RG7) should be released in a few weeks time.

Mean_genie

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Quaker Records are now online
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 May 08 10:43 BST (UK) »
There seems to be a real problem with this website.

A simple search takes between 20 seconds and forever. Sometimes I can't get a response at all.
It is either a lack of power in the web-server or bad design.
It is also expensive
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline dollylee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 May 08 10:53 BST (UK) »
I will try them out tomorrow and let you know how I get along.

I am always ready to check out any Quaker Records that I haven't accessed before.

Thanks for the link.

dollylee

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 May 08 12:44 BST (UK) »
I agree with Stonechat - it's very slow and sometimes 'takes' your 1 credit for doing an advanced search but comes up with an 'error' notice instead of the search results.

To be fair, I emailed them and they reimbursed me for the lost credits.

One tip - unless you're searching for a very common name and don't have much idea of the timescale, don't bother wasting a credit on an advanced search. Unless I'm missing something (! :-\) you get to the same downloaded page whichever route you take - there are either extra names in the original page entry, or there aren't - so why waste a credit when the whole thing is so bloomin expensive anyway?!!

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline Mean_genie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 May 08 12:59 BST (UK) »
another thing to look out for in the Quaker records is that there are many entries where the event was recorded at both the Monthly and the Quarterly Meetings. They are not exactly duplicate entries, because the details can vary between the two, but when you have two apparently identical entries, that will often be the reason.

I agree it's a pity you can only access thse as pay-per-view, and not as part of a subscription package. The cost must put off a lot of people

Mean_genie

Offline alunno-a

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 May 08 13:39 BST (UK) »
- They are included in a subscription package via S&N The Genealogist--- the site is playing up this morning, and seems to have lost the advanced search. Also they have not yet put up a way of seeing more than one original image, which meands you "loose" vital lists of witnesses for some marriages- but I understand they are working on this. But it is good value so far I think--
Sally
WRY- Thompson,Cowburn,Walker, Glossop,
London- Chesney/Chesnut
all areas- Tuxworth
Lincs/ Notts- Graves, White, Wilson,Pedge,Tuxford, Bonner
Devon- Dean, Crode (also NFL) Coode, Tucker, Miles ( origin Hampshire)
Beds/Herts/ Northants- Newberry, Shepherd, Norton, Blackabey
Kent- Munn, Moore

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 May 08 15:42 BST (UK) »
Note the S & N subscriptions is points based though you do not have unlimited access
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire

Offline alunno-a

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 12 May 08 16:01 BST (UK) »
what do you mean by points based???
I seem to have unlimited access,---or am i being thick and missing something here..?
Sally
WRY- Thompson,Cowburn,Walker, Glossop,
London- Chesney/Chesnut
all areas- Tuxworth
Lincs/ Notts- Graves, White, Wilson,Pedge,Tuxford, Bonner
Devon- Dean, Crode (also NFL) Coode, Tucker, Miles ( origin Hampshire)
Beds/Herts/ Northants- Newberry, Shepherd, Norton, Blackabey
Kent- Munn, Moore

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 12 May 08 22:10 BST (UK) »
I looked at the subscriptions -I seen now that some are free of points, I used one of there subscriptions though and the points ran out very quickly

Bob