Author Topic: Halliday/Holliday Preston Lancashire  (Read 4563 times)

Offline aniron77

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Halliday/Holliday Preston Lancashire
« Reply #9 on: Monday 01 September 08 04:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Are you in Australia, as I come down from George Smith and his  first wife Mary them thru their daughter Mary who married George Powell. And I have some on  the Smiths, Halliday and of course the the Powells
Naturally would love more Elizabeth

Offline Nickihs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 01 September 08 13:23 BST (UK) »
Yes, am in Australia - so can supply much more info on the Smiths after they arrived here, but would love to find more earlier info.  All I know is that Isabella married George Smith 15 Oct 1845 in Worcester St. Martin.  Have not yet found what children they had, but believe it was their son, George, who came to Oz.

Would love any more info on the Smiths that you may have!  I have fairly good details for Smiths from 1879 on - so you can see, I do have quite a gap.

I noticed in your summary of James Baldwin, you mentioned a child, George.  I had not found him before, so will add him to the family.  I also noticed that you missed Henry - he was born in Bretforton in 1821 died and buried there in Mar 1836.

You might also like to add to your info that Anne Potter was also in the Army in Meerut India when they were married (probably a nurse).  I am certain of this as I have their original marriage certificate.

Offline SueAQ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 04 June 12 16:13 BST (UK) »
Hi

This is quite an old thread, so I may not hear from any of you, but I've just discovered Roots Chat, so I though I'd give it a go!

I am descended from Sarah Holliday, who married William Hayes Allchurch in 1849.  I would be really interested in any information that you can give me on the family - especially details of the letters that James Baldwin Holliday wrote to his parents while in India.

I've not found Sarah on the 1951 census either - her widowed father and husband were living together at that time.  However, her first child died around the time of the census - I wonder if she was visiting friends/other relatives for comfort at the time?  I will keep searching....

Offline Nickihs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 05 June 12 03:53 BST (UK) »
Hi - I'm happy to share information.  Since that old post I have found a lot of information about the family - I am descended from Isabella, Sarah's sister.  I can send you a transcription of the letter James wrote from India (Isabella and Sarah's father) as well as a scanned image of the letter.  Thankfully my grandfather had the letter framed between two sheets of glass, so it's been preserved.  It's only damaged where someone (back in the early 1800's I suppose) took the stamps off.  It would probably be best if you contact me directly by email to *
I look forward to hearing from you.
Cheers,
Nicki
(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline SueAQ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 05 June 12 22:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Nicki

Thanks for your reply - it is lovely to hear from you.  I have emailed you and look forward to sharing information and research about our two branches of the family.

Regards.

Sue

Offline lincee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 06 June 12 06:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue,

I also  have connections to this family.

Cheers

Lin

Offline SueAQ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 07 June 12 22:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Lin

Lovely to hear from another long lost relative!!  Are you descended from Isabella or Sarah?

I'm now trying to find out what happened to Sarah's husband - William Hayes Allchurch as he was living in a workhouse in 1911 and died in 1912, even though he had family living near by.  Do you have any information...? Or even information about the family further back?

Offline lincee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 08 June 12 01:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue

Thanks for your reply.

George Smith who married Mary Carpenter (1st marriage) and had children Mary and George.  Mary Smith (dhild)married George Powell 7 Nov 1860 Goulburn.  One of their children Elizabeth Ellen Powell married Thomas Henry Jones and one of their children Catherine Mary Jones married my grandfather. 

I have photograph of headstone of George and Isabella's headstone.

I did also send email to Nicki.

Sorry no further information on William Allchurch but I will have a look.

Kind regards

Lin

Offline lincee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 08 June 12 01:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue,

1851 census - Sarah Allchurt - visitor at James and Isabella Smith's with James A. (son aged 5 months).

Kind regards Lin