Author Topic: harris and hedderwick  (Read 2477 times)

Offline anneben

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
harris and hedderwick
« on: Wednesday 07 May 08 08:43 BST (UK) »
I am looking for a marriage for a Reginald Harris and a Elizabeth Hedderwick around the Leith area they had 2 children William and Thomas. Any info would be much appreciated.

Ann

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: harris and hedderwick
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 May 08 09:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Ann

From the Fife board....you know what I'm going to ask ::) What dates do you have for them?

Regards.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline anneben

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 May 08 10:02 BST (UK) »
Around the 1924 plus years.

Ann

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 May 08 12:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Ann

Sadly nothing is showing on marriage records up to 1932. I searched for a Reg* Harris* and El* (looks of room for spelling variations and in case Elizabeth's surname was showing differently.

Monica

Offline Patch Harris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 September 09 13:48 BST (UK) »
I am looking for a marriage for a Reginald Harris and a Elizabeth Hedderwick around the Leith area they had 2 children William and Thomas. Any info would be much appreciated.

Ann
Hi Ann,
       I think that the Reginald Harris and Elizabeth Hedderwick you are looking for were my Grandparents. My uncle was William and my father was Robert not Thomas.When I was small I was always called Tom and told the story that this was because I was supposed to be named after my grandmothers family. There maybe a similar story attached to my father.
      Right now for some dates. According to my fathers birth certificate they got married on April 4th 1924 Edinburgh. William was born in Nov 1925 where I don't know,and my father on 1st September 1928 in Leith Royal maternity hospital.At this time again from the birth certificate they were living at 135,Ferry Road,Leith. Sometime after this they must have moved to England. I have stories of them living in north London and my granddad playing for Crystal Place fc,then moving to the midlands and living in Coventry before settling in Nuneaton(Warwickshire).
      Reginald Harris died in about 1971,Elizabeth died in about 1976,my father Robert died in 1991 and William died in 2003.All whilst living in Nuneaton.
      William had 3 children, who are married with family of their own. Robert had 2 children ,we too now have children and families of our own.
      I hope this is of some use to you in your search, and by the way are we related?
Regards,
 Patrick Harris.

Moderator comment: some names removed since we do not encourage the posting of names of people who are still alive.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 01 September 09 17:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Patrick

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Still struggling to find a marriage for Reginald and Elizabeth on Scotlands People, going back and doing all the searches over again.

Have you tried to search for the marriage?

Monica

Offline Patch Harris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 04 September 09 14:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica,
     I have also looked and can't find this marriage,so in desperation I contacted the Registrars office in Edinburgh and asked for their thoughts on the marriage. Here is their reply:

Patrick,
     "I have searched the marriage indexes 10 years either side of the given date 4 April 1924 and cannot find this couple having been married in Scotland.  It may be that they had a simple religious wedding but did not register it with their local Registrar, meaning they did not go through the legal procedure.  Sorry I cannot be of further help to you".
 Regards
 Dorothy Ewen, Registrar

So their you are Monica,I can now only presume that if they had some sort of marriage ceremony in Scotland,(I can find no evidence of any marriage elseware within th UK) the date on my fathers birth certificate, is either the date of a as stated "simple religious wedding"which was not registered and so not recognized, or they may not have actually had any ceremony at all, and gave false details to save any embarrassment.Either way it appears that they may not have ever been legally married. I will keep on searching, maybe another relative out there has the answer. Should I find out anything of interest I will let you know.
  Patrick.

Offline lyndsey86

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 06 September 09 11:52 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have noticed that the login name is very similiar to my real name.

ANNEBEN

Ann

Offline Patch Harris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 06 September 09 14:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Ann,
    Not quite sure what you mean by the "login name".Are you a Hedderwick or Harris?
Patrick