Author Topic: Marion Calderwood  (Read 14148 times)

Offline nicwnacw

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marion Calderwood
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 19 April 09 21:18 BST (UK) »
Just a little note to show how weird this family is getting - when looking for death of Marion Calderwood bef 1943, I  found the death of Marion McGill Calderwood aged 9 months on 16/6/1908. She was recorded as the dau of Margaret McGill/Calderwood and James Calderwood. SO now in this family for a period of time we have 2 daughters called Margaret (OK different Mum's) and two daughters called Marion (same Mum)

ARGGGHHHH ??? ??? >:(
Fenn from Denham Bucks and Honeywell from Downton Wilts

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 19 April 09 21:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandra

I don't think I'm going to help any!

I was having a look for Jim earlier. I think there are two Marion Calderwoods, not a common name though. Looking at deaths on SP, between 1916, when Jim's Marion gave birth to daughter Marion in Dumbarton, and 1943 when Jim's father married and mother showed as deceased. A search of deaths for Marion Calderwood, any age and any place brought up only 8 deaths in total. Only one of these deaths showed as potentially unmarried with no additional surname showing.

This Marion, so happens died in Dunbartonshire, in ROW OR RHU. She was aged 75. Her parents were William Calderwood and Jane Hunter and she was born in 1866 in Ayrshire. In 1901 she shows as living with her sister in Cardross, Dumbartonshire.

On her death entry she shows as single, a dress maker and living in 40 East Argyll Street, Helensborough. A niece reported her death.

On the basis of the SP results for deaths I cannot see another possibility for a Marion Calderwood. As with the other Marion that you have found Sandra, this Marion would have been having her children mid to late forties. Not impossible as we know today but who knows.

Jim, was Marion always known as Marion. I am just wondering whether her first name may have been entered at death in a different way.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dorothy_t

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 24 February 13 10:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I've just started looking for a friends ancestors. I have a John McGill Calderwood born 1904 in Dunbarton. It makes sense that he would be a child of James Calderwood & Maggie McGill. Have you come across anything on him in your later research? I know this post is from a few years back, but thought it appears promising for my friend.

Dorothy

Offline nicwnacw

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 24 February 13 11:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi I have just done a bit of searching on SP and John McGill Calderwood was born 13/7/1904 to JOHN Calderwood and MARY Calderwood nee McGIll - apparently the same as my James and Margaret but both have changed their first names - using their 'nicknames' perhaps ???

Also looked at the 1911 census and the parents have one child only showing there so perhaps John died young.

As luck would have it I am off to Scotland this week to poke around in the records and to visit Milngavie, I will add John to my list.

Offline nicwnacw

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 24 February 13 12:46 GMT (UK) »
Just had another look at 1911 census states 5 children born and 3 living but these would have been from the McGill/ Calderwood marriage and not include the children from the previous McDougall/Calderwood marriage - hope to sort it out next week

Offline dorothy_t

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 02 March 13 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks for that information. John did not die young. He did die before 1957 when his son married. He married 3 March 1928 in Toronto, Ontario, Canada to Violet Victoria Gyford. They did not remain in Canada be returned to England where Victoria was from. Their granddaughter is a friend of mine and I have been looking for some information for her as she does not not know much about her family past grandparents.

Dorothy
Adelaide, Australia

Offline nicwnacw

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 02 March 13 21:35 GMT (UK) »
To all that have been helping , over time, with the issue of the Maggie McD and Maggie McG mystery, I thought you might be interested in the outcome of a recent visit to the Mitchell Library in Glasgow where a superb registrar assisted me.

Maggie McG was the illegitimate daughter of Maggie McGill, Maggie McD was the daughter of James Calderwood and Isabella McDougall.

From the census the assumption was made that McD was for McDougall and some error had been made with McG because she was listed as a Calderwood but born 2 years before Maggie McG snr married James

No birth records had been found - this has been rectified McD is McDowall.

Whetehr Maggie McG jnr was given the name Calderwood or whether the census taker assumed she was Calderwood we will never know (she may even have been a love child of James and Maggies)