Author Topic: What does this mean  (Read 604 times)

Offline Mercel

• RootsChat Senior
  • John Robert Forster 1892-1913
    • View Profile
What does this mean
« on: Sunday 11 May 08 18:31 BST (UK) »
I have located my Great Grandfathers war medals on the medals roll. Can anyone confirm that Dis means discharge on action taken. I know he lost a leg in the Somme but I havent pieced the story together so checking all avenues. I have attached it below, can anyone help me decipher it please.
Mercel
Hepworth - Yorkshire and Durham, <br />Forster, Thompson, Heatherington- Durham, <br />Harkness and Devlin- Glasgow, <br />Bolton and Smiths Sunderland, <br />Galey, Norfolk and Sunderland. <br />Cory - Heacham Norfolk<br />Connelly - Ireland,<br />Carson - Ireland, <br />McKay, Glasgow and Ireland,<br /> Tait,Ireland<br />Turley, Sunderland and Ireland, Devlin Londonderry Ireland, Higgans, londonderry Ireland, Hamilton, Ireland

CENSUS & BMD INFO IS CROWN COPYRIGHT www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: What does this mean
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 May 08 19:35 BST (UK) »
He would have been discharged to Pension...He was issued a Silver War Badge.If you are lucky his papers may survive in the Pension docs on Ancestry or in the Burnt Series just been published up to H so far.

You may be able to get more info from the SWB roll as to his Battalion it will give date of discharge as well as enlistment date.Also you have the Theatre Entry Date so you can find which DLI batt deployed to France that date.

Ady :)
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline Mercel

• RootsChat Senior
  • John Robert Forster 1892-1913
    • View Profile
Re: What does this mean
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 May 08 12:16 BST (UK) »
Thank you Ady that is great help. I can now decipher SWB on the left hand side.
Best wishes Mercel
Hepworth - Yorkshire and Durham, <br />Forster, Thompson, Heatherington- Durham, <br />Harkness and Devlin- Glasgow, <br />Bolton and Smiths Sunderland, <br />Galey, Norfolk and Sunderland. <br />Cory - Heacham Norfolk<br />Connelly - Ireland,<br />Carson - Ireland, <br />McKay, Glasgow and Ireland,<br /> Tait,Ireland<br />Turley, Sunderland and Ireland, Devlin Londonderry Ireland, Higgans, londonderry Ireland, Hamilton, Ireland

CENSUS & BMD INFO IS CROWN COPYRIGHT www.nationalarchives.gov.uk