Author Topic: LIND AITKEN HOWISON MARTIN  (Read 7256 times)

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
LIND AITKEN HOWISON MARTIN
« on: Tuesday 06 April 04 09:57 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

Anyone else have an interest in LINN/LIND in West Calder or AITKEN of Kirknewton (I had a large family at Pathhead farm).

Isabella Lind (b 1802 d 1877) married Thomas Aitken she was the daughter of William Lind and Elizabeth Martin.  William was the son of William Lind and Margaret Howison. It is early days on this research as most of this is based on IGI/OPRs.

Cheers,
Pam
 ;D
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!

Offline Tutu Bonnie

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: LIND AITKEN HOWISON MARTIN
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 July 04 06:41 BST (UK) »
 :) Hello!   
I have John LIND and Helen HOWISON who from 1742-1759 had AGNES, JANET, JAMES (m/1 Anges Burns m/2 Agnes Mill), BESSIE (m/ John Watson), JOHN, JOHN and THOMAS (m/ Agnes Shields, lived Cobbinshaw).    Can you link to your William Lind - Margaret Howison or to William Thomas Lind who married Janet Howison?  All lived Carnwath, West Calder and environs, all approximately contemporary. 
Tutu
Cathcart - Co. Down
Lind, Howison, Shields, Johnstone, Nivison, Montgomery, Greig, Galt - Scotland
Yonge - Newton Ferrers, Devon

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 July 04 15:27 BST (UK) »
Hiya Tutu,

I think there is a connection somewhere but I can't find it!!

I've been in touch with somebody else who is connected to the Cobbinshaw LINN/Ds his family being from Carnwath, but we couldn't work out the connection.  My William seems to be elusive, I suspect he died young as there is an entry on the OPR for a coffin for a Wm Lind in 1813 (I think it's 1813 - off the top of m'head).  There has to be a connection.

I'll get what I have together from the other chap and my meagre offerings and see if your guys are mentioned.

Cheers,
Pam
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart

Online intermittently!

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 July 04 13:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Tutu,

You have the same family members as the chap I had contact through on the Midlothian Rootsweb list.  I am going to email him and link this thread so he can register and make contact with you if he wants to, you may already have met?

I plan on doing a bit of work on the OPRs fro West Calder and Kirknewton over the next few weeks.  I have already transcribed all the West Calder 1841 census LIND/LINNs if you want a copy of it (42 people) then pm me.
Cheers,
Pam
 ;D
~~~~~~~~~~~

Online intermittently!

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 July 04 18:42 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

I had a small break through on this line last night ;D.  I found my William LIND (father to Isabella) on the 1841 census age 70 living with a family called GOOLD.  Odd spelling but it appears this way on the OPR as well.  Margaret Goold wife of James Goold (originally of Lanark) is Margaret LIND Isabella's sister.

I have no idea how I managed to miss him first time! ???

It isn't getting me nearer your line but I know know where they lived so it helps!

Pam
 ;D
~~~~~~~~~~~

Online intermittently!

Offline sharleen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 18 June 05 21:13 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am looking for the family of a person by the name of Robert Aitken, married to a Isabella Borthwick.  Son George Aitken, married to Janet Cairns.  Their son Thomas Cairns Aitken (Born Brisbane Australia) married Annie Young Dewar.

If you have any of those names in you research I would love to hear from you.

Thanks
Sharleen
Brough, Dewar, Aitken, Cairns, Hudson - Scotland-Australia/South Africa
Gatenby, Spink, Nolan - Yorkshire/South Africa
Lane - Manchester/South Africa
Moore - London/South Africa
Stuart, Collins- Scotland/South Africa
Masson, De St Pern - France/Mauritius/South Africa

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 19 June 05 01:09 BST (UK) »
Hiya Sharleen,

Do you know where or when your Robert was from?

The Robert Aitken in my tree doesn't fit with your marriage...
http://fallon.rootschat.net/249.html

I know of 2 of his marriages but don't hve a death yet so can't rule out a 3rd marriage.  However, it is a common scottish name.

Hi Mike,

I seem to have missed your post, very sorry.  I don't have any of those names in my tree sorry  :-\

All the best,
Pam
 ;D
~~~~~~~~~~~

Online intermittently!

Offline robbiep

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 05 July 09 14:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Tutu Bonnie

I was wondering where you found the following people and whether you know anything more about John Lind and Helen Howison?

I have John LIND and Helen HOWISON who from 1742-1759 had AGNES, JANET, JAMES (m/1 Anges Burns m/2 Agnes Mill), BESSIE (m/ John Watson), JOHN, JOHN and THOMAS (m/ Agnes Shields, lived Cobbinshaw).    Can you link to your William Lind - Margaret Howison or to William Thomas Lind who married Janet Howison?  All lived Carnwath, West Calder and environs, all approximately contemporary. 
Tutu

...I seem to have ground to a halt with them!

Robbie

Offline Tutu Bonnie

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 06 July 09 00:43 BST (UK) »
Hello, Robbie --
Are you trying to move forward or backward with this family?  I am descended from Thomas Lind and Agnes m.s. Shields, and link them to John Lind and Helen m.s. Howison through family correspondence held by a distant cousin in Canada.   Thomas' siblings come from repeated readings of Carnwath and West Calder OPRs as published by the LDS Church in their International Genealogical Index -- the extracted records version, not patron submissions.  That has been supplemented by Civil Registrations at New Register House, Edinburgh read and transcribed by a correspondent in the Edinburgh area.  Also correspondence with other descendants over the last 15 years.  So we have a pretty complete and well documented tree downward from two sons of the +/- 1750 couple.  I cannot find anything about the son John (one died in infancy, the other ???) or the daughters -- apart from Bess who married John Watson. 

Going backwards is a bit trickier.  There's a great deal of circumstance, speculation and guesswork, mostly based on place.  I believe (but cannot document) that the John Lind in question was the son of James Lind who was a Covenanter.  There is a list of Covenanters posted on Ancestry.com which includes "James Linn of Moshat".  Some of the later generations of Linds married into Covenanter families in Dumfriesshire.  There is a will for Robert Linn of Auchingray posted at Scotland'sPeople linking him to Mosshat.   Other documents from the period link John Lin, James Lin, Adam Lin and David Lin to the farms of Auchingray, Tarbrax and Mosshat.  The timing is a bit awkward to make the generations work.  Since my ancestor was not born until 1759 (per OPRs), it is bothersome to have his father born in the 1680's.  Possible, but awkward.   I need to learn a lot more about Scottish law, inheritance, and property ownership to really understand what I am reading.  And no, I cannot definitively link to other Lin(d) - Howison marriages.  I do believe all the Linds between Glasgow and Edinburgh are linked to one degree or another. 

Am happy to share shat I have. 
--Bonnie
Cathcart - Co. Down
Lind, Howison, Shields, Johnstone, Nivison, Montgomery, Greig, Galt - Scotland
Yonge - Newton Ferrers, Devon