Author Topic: LIND AITKEN HOWISON MARTIN  (Read 7255 times)

Offline robbiep

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: LIND AITKEN HOWISON MARTIN
« Reply #9 on: Monday 06 July 09 20:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Tutu

Is Tutu OK for short?

I'm trying to move backwards. Sounds like that's going to be difficult. 

Helen, my wife, is also descended from the same Thomas and Agnes Lind as you (she carries the name on as her middle name) through the son John 1800-1881, and his son James b. 1845, then on to her Grandmother Marion Lind b. 1885.  I think it all hangs together pretty well.

I see what you mean about the awkwardness of James Lind of Mosshat being John's father if the latter was born in 1759, but I link that date with Thomas' birth not John's. I've attached "13/12/1759 Lind, Thomas [OPR Births 701/0010 0215 West Calder]. I've probably got it wrong, but you might want to have a look. I get skelly-e'ed looking at this stuff after a while.

Thanks for getting back to me. By the way, likewise, if there's anything you want to know about the trail from Thomas + Agnes down to my wife please say.

Cheers

Robbie

Copyright image cropped.

Offline Tutu Bonnie

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: LIND AITKEN HOWISON MARTIN
« Reply #10 on: Friday 10 July 09 23:20 BST (UK) »
Hello, Robbie!
Tutu works. 
I have corresponded periodically with some of your wife's cousins, particularly Janis Cornwall who has a very interesting story to tell.   I know the cousins here in Hawaii a great deal better.  John, the oldest of Marion's siblings -- the infant who was enumerated at So. Cobbinshaw in the 1881 census -- married in Scotland and in 1910 moved to Hawaii.   John and his wife, Helen, had 2 sons -- John (called Jack) and James.  James never married.  Jack married a Hawaiian woman (Daisy) and lived on the island of Maui.  They had five sons -- John, Bruce, Greg, Jeffrey, and Terrance.  Most of them live near their mother on the island of Maui.    You can read more about John Lind at www.kipahulu.org

http://gallery.mac.com/scottcrawford#100041/IMG_4995&bgcolor=black  In this photo, Tweetie (aka Glenna) Lind is standing, in red; the bearded gentleman next to her is her husband, John.   

You're right.  Thomas, born 1759.    The lineage COULD be Robert Lin d. 1705 (will at ScotlandsPeople) appears to have brother David and sister Janet, at least sons James and Adam.    James of Mosshat, Covenanter b. c. 1655 MAY BE his son.  Timing and place fit.  THEN MAYBE -- John of Mosshat.  Robert leaves half of his sheep to his apparent grandson, John -- son of James.  I would VERY MUCH like this grandson, John, to be the same John who married Helen Howison!  But I don't have enough information to make that proof.  If you are in Scotland, and if you ever use the archives in Edinburgh, maybe you can muck around in the land records and wills and see if you can turn up documents from the period 1650-1800 re. the lands of Mosshat, Tarbrax, Cobbinshaw, Kiprig, Kipsyke(s) and Auchingray. 

Send me your direct address, and I will send you a GEDCOM of what we know about this line. 
---Bonnie
Cathcart - Co. Down
Lind, Howison, Shields, Johnstone, Nivison, Montgomery, Greig, Galt - Scotland
Yonge - Newton Ferrers, Devon