Author Topic: 1900 , 1920 census for alabama  (Read 2693 times)

Offline forestcity38

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1900 , 1920 census for alabama
« on: Tuesday 13 May 08 19:29 BST (UK) »
Hi  I am looking for Dallas Whitfiled Phillips born Dec. 1880 in Dekalb Alabama. I am looking for his parrents In 1920 I am looking for his children and ages and where born. I appreciate any help

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1900 , 1920 census for alabama
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 May 08 20:00 BST (UK) »
If you sign up here:  http://labs.familysearch.org/  you can get the 1900 Census and some other good stuff for free.

There is a tree on Ancestry that lists Dallas' parents as Pleasant Dallas Phillips and Sarah Matilda Hawkins.  I haven't found him on the 1920 yet, but I see his WWI Draft Registration Card, which has him living in Dekalb Co., Alabama - the town is something like Hanagar?

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 May 08 21:38 BST (UK) »
The 1900 census of DeKalb Co., AL has Dallas W as one of six children of Pleasant D. Phillips and Hannah.  In 1910, still in DeKalb Co., AL, Pleasant D and Hannah have living with them a Claude Hawkins (cousin), and a son, Frank, age 21.

In 1920, there is a D. White Phillips living in Poplar Springs, DeKalb, Ala, with wife, Burlie (?), and 6 children.  Since you didn't provide any names, here is what they appear to be:  Eveline (12),  ? (11),  Ruby (eight), Thom (5), Charles (4 ?/12), and Dan (1 ?/12).  Maybe the image on Ancestry is better and someone else can look it up for you.

In 1920 Pleasant D and Hanna PHILIPS are still in Sulphur Springs, DeKalb, Ala, ages 73 and 72.

Maybe Shelly can transcribe them for you.

Genealiza

Offline forestcity38

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 May 08 21:45 BST (UK) »
thanks  for the information. I have some of the names but had no ages. I will copy what you have  and give you the other names There was one child Jean born in 1920 but it was in October.

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 May 08 22:30 BST (UK) »
I just took a peak at the 1880 census and Plasant Phillips is married to Sarah M, with more years between them than Pleasant and Hannah.  Sarah may have died after childbirth and Hannah is his second wife.  The 1900 census states that Pleasant and Hannah have been married 9 years.

Genealiza

Offline forestcity38

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 May 08 23:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this . I was looking at the tree on Ancestry and saw her last name was Hawkins too but no names of parents. Probably related to Sarah

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 14 May 08 01:05 BST (UK) »
I no longer have the subscription to Ancestry, but I did look at www.rootsweb.com for Pleasant Phillips, born in Alabama.  There is a tree (about the 15th one)  that gives the parents names of his HAWKINS wives and also includes references to marriages in Alabama.----Look under "Search Family Trees" on the left column.

Genealiza

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 14 May 08 01:58 BST (UK) »
1920 Census, Poplar Springs, Alabama

Phillips, D. White, owns home free of mortgage, age 39, married, able to read & write, born Alabama, parents born Alabama, occupation - farmer - general farm

wife Burlie, age 30, married,  able to read & write, born Alabama, parents born Alabama, no occupation

daughter Ernestine, age 12, single, attending school, able to read & write, born Alabama, parents born Alabama, no occupation

daughter Mildred, age 11,  single, attending school, able to read & write, born Alabama, parents born Alabama, no occupation

daughter Ruby J., age 8, attending school, born Georgia, parents born Alabama

son Stan (?), age 5, not attending school, born Georgia, parents born Alabama

son Charles, age 4 years two months, born Alabama, parents born Alabama

son Dan, age 1 year 7 (?) months, born Alabama, parents born Alabama

Offline forestcity38

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 14 May 08 04:07 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for this information