Author Topic: Frederick Tom COPP  (Read 3490 times)

Offline Bonnie66

• RootsChat Member
  • Its never too late to find your "roots".
    • View Profile
Frederick Tom COPP
« on: Wednesday 14 May 08 10:51 BST (UK) »
Hi I am investigating the crew of my cousins Sunderland seaplane DW110, of 228 Sqdn, Coastal Command,  which crashed in Ireland in 1944. One of the crew members was Flt Engineer Frederick Tom Copp, his parents were George and Rose Ellen of Starcross Devon. He is buried in Ireland in Irvinestown Church of Ireland Churchyard. There has been a memorial set up on the site in the Blue Stack Mountains (something I only just learnt about) and after talking to the guys over there it seems that they have no contact with the families apart from Jim Gilchirst the only survivor who died this year on the exact date of the crash 31 Jan.  As it will be 65 years ago next year since this plane crashed I was wondering if there was anyone out there that was in anyway connected to the family. I have not been able to locate any of the family looking for these people on Ancestry, so I thought I would try here, you have always been so clever:-) As I live in NZ its a bit far to come and do too much digging so I have to let my fingers do it.
Kelly, Lloyd, Hutchinson, Baynham, Myerscough, Hodson, Jones ,Paine (Payne Pain) Wareing, Hodgetts - Ireland, Warwickshire (Birminingham), Staffordshire (Stoke on Trent), Lancashire, Herefordshire

Offline Tiffaney

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Frederick Tom COPP
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 December 08 02:28 GMT (UK) »

Hi.....I also live in NZ & have COPP families amongst my ancestors but unfortunately there'd be a big gap in between to discover it they're connected to yours.
The following COPPS came from Tiverton Devom.
Nicholas COPP 1727-1768
John COPP 1759- 1809
Ann COPP born: 12/11/1797.

Elizabeth COPP who married James MOORE 11 May 1808 Seaton & Beer, Devon.

Most prob not much good to you but worth a shot,
regards
Tiffaney

Caithness: Sutherland (2 families)
Perthshire: McLauchlan, Galletly. Dunn. Mill 
Glasgow: Paisley: Gilmour; Fillans
Orkney: Shearer, Peace, Laughton,Scott,Craigie, Sinclair, Tulloch, Spence, Laing
Devon: Moore, Gempton, Copp, Boone, Carter, Lee, Gill,
London:  Laver, Rix, Nightingale,Hartley, Mason,Satchell.
Nottingham: Bomforth, Shaw
Australia: Graham, Tattersall, Galletly
Ireland: Angland

N.Z: McLauchlan, Sutherland, Shearer,  Rix, Moore, Hartley,Mason, Gilmour, Bomforth,  Dunn, Galletly

Offline Bonnie66

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 December 08 10:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tiffany

I have found one of the family of Fred Copp if you go to the follwoing site you will see www.freewebs.com/dw110 and click on his page I am in touch with his nephew so possibly there is a link. It gives some more info about him

Regards
Dyan in Paeroa NZ.
Kelly, Lloyd, Hutchinson, Baynham, Myerscough, Hodson, Jones ,Paine (Payne Pain) Wareing, Hodgetts - Ireland, Warwickshire (Birminingham), Staffordshire (Stoke on Trent), Lancashire, Herefordshire

Offline Tiffaney

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 December 08 19:01 GMT (UK) »

Thank you Dyan for url.  Love the layout & found photos & descriptions excellent.
Much appreciated,
Tiff in Canty NZ
Orkney: Shearer, Peace, Laughton,Scott,Craigie, Sinclair, Tulloch, Spence, Laing

N.Z: McLauchlan, Sutherland, Shearer,  Rix, Moore, Hartley,Mason, Gilmour, Bomforth,  Dunn, Galletly

Offline Bonnie66

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 28 December 08 01:46 GMT (UK) »
Do you want the email address of his relations there may be a connection and I know they are into "family history"

We may meet up one day because as soon as we sell this house we are moving to Christchurch hopefully sooner than later.

Regards
Dyan

Offline Tiffaney

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 December 08 04:23 GMT (UK) »
Would be great to have email address Dyan..thanks for the offer.
Hope you sell you house soon...it's quite tense having one for sale in this market but you should make up for when looking for a home in Christchurch depending upon where you live now of course.  Good luck!!

regards,
Tiff

Offline Coppuk

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 30 January 09 18:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi sorry to intrude  :D Im am a Copp from Lancashire and my mum said her family came from Devon then moved to Lancashire around 50 years ago.
My grandad was Donald Copp who Married Rose Sparks if any of the names ring a bell please let me know many thanks.

Offline Tiffaney

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 30 January 09 18:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Coppuk,

Thanks for your post....can you tell us a little more further back about your COPPS from Devon.

Sending you a private message.

Thanks Tiffaney

ps:  Forgot you need to have done 3 postings before you have use of p/m.
You've already done one so only 2 to go!!!  ;)

Offline Sunderland

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 06 February 09 09:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bonnie 66.  I have just found your appeal on this website, dated May 2008.  I made a television programme with Jim Gilchrist, the last survivor of this crash in 2000.  In a follow-ip programme in 2003, we flew him back to the crash site in Donegal.  We became good friends, and he always talked fondly of Freddie Copp.  They had changed seats on the aircraft, shortly before the crash.  I regularly visit the graves of the crew members in Irvinestown.  There are many airmen buried in the Church of Ireland (Anglican) cemetery.  Every November the local British Legion place flags and poppies on each grave.  These brave men are never forgotten!    On another note, I am still in touch with the family of Jim Gilchrist.  He has three daughters in the south of England; a son in Hong Kong, and another son in Canada.  All of them came to the Blue Stack Mountains in Donegal at the beginning of June last year.  Over a hundred of us made the pilgrimmage to the crash site.  There is photo of the family on www.freewebs.com/dw110.  I hope this helps...