Author Topic: Baptisim Robert Maden, Morcott, Rutland  (Read 1228 times)

Offline Carino

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Baptisim Robert Maden, Morcott, Rutland
« on: Friday 16 May 08 13:41 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I have a birth certificate of my ancestor  Robert William Maden,  he was born 12 May 1878 Morcott, Rutland in the sub district of Barrowden, Uppingham,  his parents names were Arthur Maden and Elizabeth Ellison.  ( Arthur was a Railway Labourer )

I have had a look on the IGI site only to not have found it.  I am not sure if Maden,  is their correct surname so I am hoping that there is a Bap date for my ancestor and a surname that might be the same or different.

I will be very grateful for any help.

Thank you

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Baptisim Robert Maden, Morcott, Rutland
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 May 08 13:51 BST (UK) »
Hello Carino,

The IGI is very far from being a complete record/index of baptisms, and especially as late as 1878.

If it helps, the 1881 census appears to confirm that you have the correct names.  Arthur and Elizabeth Maden, plus four children (including 3 yr old Robert) and four boarders, are living in Blackfordby, Leics.  Robert's birthplace is given as Oakham, which is near Morcott and Uppingham. Arthur's occupation now appears to be "Clay miner", and the children's birthplaces suggest that the family has moved around quite a bit, perhaps following the availability of work.

The 1881 census is freely searchable on www.familysearch.org.

A baptism entry will be unlikely to give you any better information than you have from the birth certificate, but a fellow Rootschatter may be able to do a lookup for you.

Anna :)
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Carino

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Baptisim Robert Maden, Morcott, Rutland
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 May 08 19:51 BST (UK) »
Hello Anna,

Thank you so much for your reply,  I have access to ancestry so I have been able to look for this family on the census,  1881 is  the earliest I can find them,  I also have most of the family in 1891  again this family did move around a lot as now they are living in Mid Glamorgan.

I have three of their children's birth certificate and each one the surname is different,  Maden, Midden and Meyden  only for it to become Maiden by 1901 which it still is today.

Thank you & all the best