Author Topic: Scotland Snows Buried Train When?  (Read 5125 times)

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Scottish relatives sisters?
    • View Profile
Scotland Snows Buried Train When?
« on: Tuesday 20 May 08 19:56 BST (UK) »
I had a story from a deceased relative that my gt grandparents belongings were stuck in a snowed-up train at the end of the nineteenth century. They are recorded on the 1891 census at Kings Bromley, Staffordshire: David Blair, Jane Blair, Mary Blair and Ellen Blair. This event therefore must have occurred between 1881 (last recorded event for both grandparents was in Stranraer, Wigtownshire) and 1891.

Does anyone know of a severe snow storm at that time which was recorded.
However it may be that the weather in Scotland at that time was always very bad.

If I can pinpoint this event it will give me some guidance on other issues which are still outstanding.

Thanks,

Judy
Blair, Marshall, Williamson - Ayrshire, Wigtownshire
Saxton, Sketchley - Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire
Brown, Green - Rutland
Hawker, Malone, Bradbury, Arnott, Turner, Woodings, Blakemore, Upton, Merricks - Warwickshire, Staffordshire
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline pancho

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Scotland Snows Buried Train When?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 May 08 20:24 BST (UK) »
This might Help

The railway crosses high mountains and open moorlands. Snow and winds with the ensuing drifting was an ever present danger. The artic winter of 1880-81 was particulary memorable. On 17th December a train became snowbound south of Dava station and had to be abandoned. The passengers managed to reach Dava station before the storm increased further. The train was completely buried, and when it was located after the storm, the snow was 60 feet (18 metres) above the coaches. An up train, carrying passengers and cattle was also caught on the other side of the station. Whilst the passengers escaped, the cattle refused to leave the shelter of the trucks, and perished by suffocation. A relief train sent to help also became stuck. There were several other storms that winter but none so severe.
Sloey,Slowey,O`Connor ,Hammond,Coulston ,Daily,McCabe ,McCartney,Cunningham ,Martin, McKenna,Cairns Fox,Martin Places of interest Monaghan,Glasgow ,Liverpool,Wolverhampton,Wallasey.

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 May 08 22:02 BST (UK) »
Pancho

Thanks for that interesting article. However, it states that it was the winter of 1880/81 and, unfortunately, that is too early. Both gt.grandparents were recorded on the 1881 census in or around Stranraer. It would have to be after then.

Judy
Brown, Green - Rutland
Hawker, Malone, Bradbury, Arnott, Turner, Woodings, Blakemore, Upton, Merricks - Warwickshire, Staffordshire
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 May 08 22:07 BST (UK) »
I'm confused!  Why does the fact that they were in Stranraer in 1881 mean that the snowing-in of their belongings on a train must have happened after that?

Anna
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 May 08 22:12 BST (UK) »
....because they were living in a farmhouse in Kings Bromley, Staffordshire, on the 1891 census. Apparently, when the snowstorm occurred their belongings were delayed somewhere en route from Scotland and neighbours in the locality got together to provide them with clothes, bedding, pans etc.....so the story goes.

Judy
Brown, Green - Rutland
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 20 May 08 22:34 BST (UK) »
The census of 1881 took place in the spring of the year.

The snowstorm took place in the winter of the same year.

They were in England by 1891 but.....

....Might they not have moved from Scotland to England in the December of 1881, thus making the two census entries perfectly correct and the stuck train in the report, the one they were on.

Jen
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 21 May 08 07:17 BST (UK) »
In Pancho's report he mentions a place called Dava, which is apparently in the Highlands nowhere near Dumfries and Galloway. It was a very interesting story though demonstrating what could and did happen in those times.

I admit I was looking for an event much nearer to 1891 as in 1881 my gt grandparents were recorded living in different households, not married to each other.  Indeed, my gt grandfather was married to a different woman at that time.

Judy
Brown, Green - Rutland
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline Isabel H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 22 May 08 22:45 BST (UK) »
Are you sure the train got stuck in Scotland? If they were travelling south from Stranraer, it may have happened in the North of England. Have you tried searching newspaper databases? The Times for Mar 03 1886 carries reports of heavy snow disrupting rail services, and the mail train to Carlisle being unable to get through until a freight train had been dug out.
GRAY - Inveresk; Lanarkshire
LINDSAY - Lanarkshire
PURDIE - Lanarkshire; W. Lothian
POZZI - Elgin; Lancashire
MACKENZIE, MORISON - Stornoway
ARCHIBALD, HAY, HUNTER, SNADDON - Clackmannanshire
COXON, HALL, JACKSON, SHOTTON - Northumberland

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 23 May 08 16:05 BST (UK) »
Isabel

Thanks for your reply. No, stupidly, I never considered that the train was held up in Northern England at all! The article about my great grandparents was written by a deceased relative and he stated "their household items, etc. were snowed up in Scotland" but he may have heard the story from his mother who would have only been a child at the time.

That Times report would have been at about the right time 1886, I estimate. Can I find it in The Times Archives?

Can anyone advise me whether I can post the original article here. It was first published in a local Lichfield newspaper around 1990.

Thanks once again.

Judy
Brown, Green - Rutland
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire