Author Topic: Ways of Bridport - my brick wall  (Read 1878 times)

Offline roz.ronly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Ways of Bridport - my brick wall
« on: Friday 23 May 08 11:05 BST (UK) »
I had tried for years to find Thomas Way and his wife Hannah Strong, both born abt 1772.  By chance I was on BMD and found they have a Non-Parish Records section.

Had to buy credits but I found them on the Bridport - Presbytarian Chapel Register.   I am still stuck as I cannot find his or Hannah's parents.  They are not in the earliest Census records either, unless they moved elsewhere which is what I suspect

I have found four children james Way 1793, Betty 1795, Thomas 1798, Mary 1801.  I am descended from Thomas.  At sometime this family moved to Poole, but so far unable to ascertaiin if Thomas and Hannah moved with them.  They changed to St James Church when they moved.

What I am asking is, does anyone have access to the Presbytarian Chapel records.  What is the history regarding this Chapel and that religion.  We have always been told we were Quakers at some stage - their parents could have been Quakers and is this a likely move for a Quaker ?.

Anyone with a brick wall, should have a look at the non-conformist records - you may well imagine my reaction when I found them.

Small steps, I guess, but I would appreciate any help on offer,

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ways of Bridport - my brick wall
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 May 08 17:04 BST (UK) »
You state that Thomas and Hannah are both born ca.1772 but get the impression that you haven't found their deaths/burials so assume the birthdates are a guessimate!

I note that Thomas and Hannah married at Bridport 20/5/1792 and the parish seemed to have a number of Ways and Strongs so the likelihood is that they both came from Bridport.   The IGI shows a Thomas bp.4/7/1760 son of Thomas Way and Lydia Gale and an Anna Strong bp.11/10/1771 dau. of Jonathan and Mary.   (Anna/Hannah being interchangeable as you know)

No other individuals of these names married in Bridport in the right time frame and these 2 baptisms look pretty good candidates to me.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline roz.ronly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 23 May 08 20:44 BST (UK) »
Thankyou so much - brilliant.

I have seen those names before, but was unable to make a connection.  I really lacked the confidence.

Many thanks

Roz

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 May 08 21:16 BST (UK) »
Burials St Mary Bridport

29th October 1816
Thomas Way aged 55

24th November 1816
Hannah Way aged 45

The Quakers of Bridport had their own burial ground.

Bridport Presbytarian Chapel baptism records are covered on the IGI 1720-1837. May not have all baptisms though.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline allibaker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.n
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 May 08 17:59 BST (UK) »
the BIVRI VOL 2 confirms the anna strong baptism as 11th oct 1771 bridport to parents jonathon and mary strong
it also lists possible siblings as -
stephen bapt 10th july 1747 poorstock
sarah bapt 1748 no exact date listed bridport
mary bapt 27th sept 1755 bridport
james bapt 27th feb 1760 bridport
john bapt 13th may 1761 bridport
samuel bapt 31st july 1763 bridport
regards
alli
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.
somerset- quick,baker,stephens,atyeo,rowswell,callow,marks
durham- marshall,fairbairn
worcestershire- stephens,bishop
gloucestershire - stephens
middlesex - chesney

Offline roz.ronly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 August 08 20:05 BST (UK) »
I somehow managed to miss the last two messages  ??  Thankyou so much for the help great stuff.  I really appreciate it.

I have spent ages trying to find the parents of Thomas and Lydia, but I think I must be getting into Quaker territory as not a trace of them.

It is interesting to see the gradual progression to Presbytarian and then to C of E.  From what my Father told me, they were Puritans then Quakers - to avoid persecution.

It's a huge help to know that Thomas and Hannah did not move to Poole.  Saves so much fruitless searching.

Once again, thankyou

Roz