Author Topic: Tip on Searching for a Marriage  (Read 1233 times)

Offline ChasH

• My email is no longer working sorry
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The fool Monty
    • View Profile
Tip on Searching for a Marriage
« on: Saturday 24 May 08 10:21 BST (UK) »
In the 1841 is a widow aged 60 named Hester Hall.  Gazania needs marriage information.   I do not often send information to anybody if it can be found on-line, I prefer to help them to help themselves so this is what I sent to Gazania after having found the answer from between Acton Turville and Yate.  If you have a similar problem perhaps it will help you.

Before I send you what I have, you'll have to do some on-line searching - it's easy enough but very lengthy and you will need the free parish locator programme Parloc.  You can get Parloc via http://www.parloc.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

When you have Parloc the next thing to do is to go to the LDS site and search for all Hester (no surname) marriages in 1815 +/- 5 in the county of Gloucester.  You'll be given a lot of names.  That's the list you have to search but many of the locations will be more than 10 miles from Chipping Sodbury won't they?

Using Parloc get the list of the parishes within 10 miles of Chipping Sodbury.  There's quite a few parishes and those are the parishes you have to search for one at a time in the LDS list of Hesters.

So let's say you have the two lists.  The first place on Parloc is Acton Turville, so using the Windows Edit drop down menu find if that place is in the LDS list.  It isn't there on the first page but the next place Alderley is.   BUT Hester Horwood's husband's name is not! so move to the next place . . . . . etc. etc. etc. and there's only 994 Hester marriages!! 

But. I'll make it a bit easier seeing you probably have never searched like this before.  The place the marriage took place is over 7 miles from Chipping Sodbury - that cuts most places out!

It's a lengthy task, I've done it and so can you.  In the IGI there's only one Hester/Esther who married a Hall and when you've found her let me know what you find, send me your address by P.M. and I'll send you a copy of their marriage entry from the parish register.

Fair enough?

Regards

Chas
My email is no longer working sorry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Bevstn:DAVIES:HIGGS:PERROT
Bisly:BROWN:COOK:CURTIS:DAVIS:FRANKLIN:GARDINER:GRIME:JEFFERIES:PEACEY:STEPHENS:WARREN
ChSod:HARDING:HIGGS
Colrne:GOLDEN
G Bad:DAVIES
Horsly:ADAMS:BAYLY:BIRD:COOK:EVANS:GAZARD:HILL:LEWIS:MATTHEWS:PRIDE:SKIRTON:TEAKLE:TURK:WALKLEY:YOUNG
K'St:BISHOP:PINEGAR
Marsh'd:BLAKE
Minch:HILL:MASON:PERRIN
N.Nib:PERROT:SHATFORD:WAYMAN:WOODWARD
N.Wrax:BLAKE

Offline ChasH

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The fool Monty
    • View Profile
Re: Tip on Searching for a Marriage P.S.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 May 08 13:08 BST (UK) »
Regarding findings using my "shotgun" procedure, one must remember that the marriage one finds might be a submitted entry in the IGI but even so, the location's info can be useful in a search of the Hugh Wallis site.

It might be best to do what I did, conduct 3 searches at less than 3, 3 - 6 and 6-10 miles from the suspected central parish - it's less confusing!!

Chas
Bisly:BROWN:COOK:CURTIS:DAVIS:FRANKLIN:GARDINER:GRIME:JEFFERIES:PEACEY:STEPHENS:WARREN
Horsly:ADAMS:BAYLY:BIRD:COOK:EVANS:GAZARD:HILL:LEWIS:MATTHEWS:PRIDE:SKIRTON:TEAKLE:TURK:WALKLEY:YOUNG

Offline slewi4

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tip on Searching for a Marriage
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 June 08 07:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Chas,

I was going to ask "How do you search the LDS site without a surname?" as whenever I have attempted to do this, I get a message telling me that "You must enter at least the individual's last name; or you must enter a father's full name, and at least a mother's first name".

The fact that someone has said that they are able to do it has prompted me to figure it out.

Instructions for anyone else who thought that it is impossible:
Go to the main site www.familysearch.org/
Click on the yellow tab at the top that says "search"
On the left side of the page "All Resources" will be highlighted
Click on "International Genealogical Index"
Type in your known information

Happy hunting

Sandra
England: Brown Kingscliffe NTH, Ellis Balsall WAR, Lewis Hereford HEF, Oliver Morpeth NBL, Wall Coventry/Balsall WAR, Watkins Eardisley/Clifford HEF
Ireland: Culhane Limerick; Doolan Clare
Wales: Lewis BRE/DEN, Jones Eglwysbach DEN

Offline ChasH

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The fool Monty
    • View Profile
Re: Tip on Searching for a Marriage
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 June 08 07:55 BST (UK) »

Go to the main site www.familysearch.org/
Click on the yellow tab at the top that says "search"
On the left side of the page "All Resources" will be highlighted
Click on "International Genealogical Index"
Type in your known information

Sandra,

Yes, I'd thought of this wheeze too but there were over 3000 Hall marriages (one cannot enter date limits) and much fewer Hester marriages . . . .

Others may find your tip useful though.

Regards

Chas