Author Topic: A tenner for Sally Ann challenge.  (Read 1217 times)

Offline ChasH

• My email is no longer working sorry
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The fool Monty
    • View Profile
A tenner for Sally Ann challenge.
« on: Monday 26 May 08 07:49 BST (UK) »
Chatters,

I have come to the conclusion, after many personal attempts, that nobody will find an IGI submitted entry for a birth/christening/marriage which is EXACTLY the same as an IGI extracted entry for the same event.

If you think you can prove me wrong and can find a submitted entry to be exactly the same (that includes upper/lower case lettering, incorrect spelling, extra/missing words/characters, location etc.) as an extracted entry, I'll give a tenner to the Sally Ann. 

Being a pensioner I'm afraid I can only afford one tenner but I'm confident it's safe :)

Can you make me pay out?

Regards

Chas

My email is no longer working sorry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Bevstn:DAVIES:HIGGS:PERROT
Bisly:BROWN:COOK:CURTIS:DAVIS:FRANKLIN:GARDINER:GRIME:JEFFERIES:PEACEY:STEPHENS:WARREN
ChSod:HARDING:HIGGS
Colrne:GOLDEN
G Bad:DAVIES
Horsly:ADAMS:BAYLY:BIRD:COOK:EVANS:GAZARD:HILL:LEWIS:MATTHEWS:PRIDE:SKIRTON:TEAKLE:TURK:WALKLEY:YOUNG
K'St:BISHOP:PINEGAR
Marsh'd:BLAKE
Minch:HILL:MASON:PERRIN
N.Nib:PERROT:SHATFORD:WAYMAN:WOODWARD
N.Wrax:BLAKE

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
Re: A tenner for Sally Ann challenge.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 May 08 12:35 BST (UK) »
 :-\
not sure what you're after?

why do you want to find a submittal when an extracted record from the BTs are a more reliable (subject to transcription errors) and a checkable reference! 
they are 2 totally different entries by 2 different people; one source is checkable and the other usually doesn't give any details whatsoever to check!

jc
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline ChasH

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The fool Monty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 May 08 12:59 BST (UK) »

snip

If you think you can prove me wrong and can find a submitted entry to be exactly the same (that includes upper/lower case lettering, incorrect spelling, extra/missing words/characters, location etc.) as an extracted entry, I'll give a tenner to the Sally Ann. 

snip

Can you make me pay out?

I thought that was clear enough.  Which bit do you not understand?

Chas
Bisly:BROWN:COOK:CURTIS:DAVIS:FRANKLIN:GARDINER:GRIME:JEFFERIES:PEACEY:STEPHENS:WARREN
Horsly:ADAMS:BAYLY:BIRD:COOK:EVANS:GAZARD:HILL:LEWIS:MATTHEWS:PRIDE:SKIRTON:TEAKLE:TURK:WALKLEY:YOUNG

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 May 08 13:04 BST (UK) »
clear but WHY?
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 May 08 13:24 BST (UK) »
:-\
not sure what you're after?

why do you want to find a submittal when an extracted record from the BTs are a more reliable (subject to transcription errors) and a checkable reference! 
they are 2 totally different entries by 2 different people; one source is checkable and the other usually doesn't give any details whatsoever to check!

jc

I don't believe that Chas is after any particular individual but rather is throwing down the gauntlet to Rootschatters to find two completely identical IGI entries- 1 submitted 1 extracted.
However given the conditions he has placed on the challenge and bearing in mind your points regarding the submissions being made by different individuals I strongly suspect that the £10 is safe

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 May 08 17:11 BST (UK) »
very safe bet as its a totally useless excerise....  no one in their right mind would waste time trying which makes me wonder why ChasH ever tried looking in the first place  ::)

ps I did totally understand the first post!  my second post was probably phrased better

WHY?

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 26 May 08 17:48 BST (UK) »
WHY?

some people cannot resist a challenge, no matter how forlorn the chase.

Look at previous "challenges" the most notable of which was "censuswhacking" ...

Offline ChasH

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The fool Monty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 26 May 08 18:21 BST (UK) »
It seems that nobody who has answered knows why I think my tenner is safe.

The theory is that if an LDS member finds an extracted entry which he/she considers is of his/her family and submits the exact same details in accordance with LDS procedures, after the LDS ordinances have been carried out the details in the extracted batch are deleted.

I am trying to test that theory but it seems many just like waffling without considering the challenge's reason seriously.

I have searched thousands of years of church records - PR's & BT's- and have found many instances of events being absent from extracted batches but that does not test the theory sufficiently well and I was hoping somebody might break it.  I've asked the question at two LDS FHC's and was told that they did not think entries in Batches were ever deleted.

Chas.

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 26 May 08 18:43 BST (UK) »
no Charles, I prefer to spend my time doing REAL lookups to help others rather than test the LDS for what I can see is a pointless challenge.