Author Topic: POLAND: naturalization of pole  (Read 6233 times)

Offline cas21

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
POLAND: naturalization of pole
« on: Thursday 29 May 08 12:18 BST (UK) »
I dont know if this is the right place to post this! My 3x gt grandfather was born 1798 in poland and through putting a tree on ancestry have found another researching the same line but he has a naturalization date of 9 feb 1854. I have tried getting hold of this person but his tree not updated since 2006 and messages not answered. How would I get this info without coming to london. My rellie is Mark Davis but I presume he anglesized his polish name
Lowe-prussia/london. Davis-poland/australia/london. Simpson-Yorkshire/Middlesboro/Eastbourne. Juvet-Neuchatel switzerland. Landry-Switzerland/France.

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: naturalization of pole
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 May 08 13:13 BST (UK) »
Cas21,

A certificate of naturalisation for Mark Davis of Prussia was issued on 10 Feb 1854 (HO 1/53/1739). Follow this link to the website of the National Archives.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/03ii/

You can order the papers online.

Is this your ancestor? A substantail part of Poland had been annexed by Prussia.

Justin

Offline cas21

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 May 08 15:36 BST (UK) »
Hi justinl
have just sent to request an estimate! Mark davis is my gtgtgt grandfather. He was born 1798 and served in Bluchers army (polish side) in the presence of waterloo and recieved the war medal from the prussian government. (still got that to sort out)
many thanks for your help, most appreciated
may call on you again!!
cas21
Lowe-prussia/london. Davis-poland/australia/london. Simpson-Yorkshire/Middlesboro/Eastbourne. Juvet-Neuchatel switzerland. Landry-Switzerland/France.

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 May 08 16:08 BST (UK) »
What a fascinating ancestor to have!

I have just finished Allan Mallinson's A Close Run Thing, which culminates in the Battle of Waterloo.

How do you know that he was awarded a medal? Do you still have it?

Justin

Offline East London

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 29 May 08 16:14 BST (UK) »
one of ours survived La Haye Saintes

Offline cas21

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 29 May 08 16:32 BST (UK) »
Hi justinl
Wish we did have the medal! It is in his obituary in the jewish chronicles. He was also the president of the borough synagogue in london.
I understand that polish records are abit difficult but what about military records? any experience of these? He came to london in 1820 but would love to "do" the polish stuff.
cas21

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 29 May 08 22:20 BST (UK) »
I was wondering whether he was Jewish. Mark being an anglicised short form of Marcus, the common secular version of the Hebrew name Mordechai. Davis was probably some form of Davidowitz. Do you have any documents in Hebrew?

Which part of Bluecher's army did he serve in? I know that the IV Korps included regiments from Neumark and Silesia (both in modern day Poland). However, Jewish records from that period would probably be in German rather than Polish.

If the record at the NA actually includes the naturalisation papers rather than just the certificate (as is often the case with early documents), then you'll know his parents names and his birth town.

Was he recorded in any censuses?

Justin

Offline cas21

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 30 May 08 09:19 BST (UK) »
Yep he was definitely jewish as he was a main man in the london united synagogue. I have no official documents so waiting for these naturalization papers and hope they give me back up on the names i have already. Mark davis father, as on oneworldtree, david abt 1755 poznan and grandfather Abraham abt 1725. I've got him on all census up to his death in 1883, he lived in london.
Dont know what part of army he served in as all i have to go on is this obit. If he was born in poznan would that be in the cathment for the troops you mentioned?
cas21

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 30 May 08 09:45 BST (UK) »
Poznan, or Posen as it was known when part of the German Empire, had quite a large Jewish population.

This map provides an excellent overview of the German Empire. Neumark was in Westpreussen, bordering on Posen - I think.

http://www.genealogy.net/reg/ger1871.html

Somebody had obviously already done a great job on Mark's ancestry. Doesn't surprise me that he was the son of David.

When I get a spare moment, I'll investigate what Jewish records are available for Posen.

Justin