Author Topic: George/Martha WARNER living in Redbourn Herts in 1901  (Read 3353 times)

Offline sjohno

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: George/Martha WARNER living in Redbourn Herts in 1901
« Reply #9 on: Monday 02 June 08 09:24 BST (UK) »
Hi

Yes you have the correct Warner family in the 1871/1881 census, I also found the same James Warner in the 1901 census but he's not George's son.

I have searched IGI records, birth records and I have not found a George Warner birth between 1852-1856 in the Hertfordshire area or under the registration district that Redbourn/Hemel Hempstead falls under.  I think I have traced all the Martha's born between 1849-1853 and established that she's not from Long Crendon.

I think George Warner is born Long Crendon and Martha is from Beesons End Herts, I have made a half hearted attempt at searching for a possible marriage of George and Martha but as you know it's a bit difficult.  :D

Thanks for all your help any other ideas are sincerely welcomed.

Sarah

Offline waterfall

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 10 June 08 20:15 BST (UK) »

The enumerator has probably got the place of birth the wrong way round I would think. I have found that from one census to the next husband and wife swop birth places.

If George and wife Fanny were divorced then it should be at TNA. You say Fanny re-married, do you have that cert or is it what you know from the family descendants.

The ref at TNA to search for divorce in the catalogue is J77.

Worth a try maybe unless already done.

Susan

Bedfordshire. Hull, Lines
Buckinghamshire. Hull, Lines
Hertfordshire, Hull, Lines
Durham, Matthews
Yorkshire, Matthews
Durham, Lincolnshire, Abbey
Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sjohno

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 13 June 08 09:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Susan

You say Fanny re-married, do you have that cert or is it what you know from the family descendants.

In the 1881 census the family were together, in 1884 Fanny Warner had re-married.  In 1884 Fanny has moved from Long Crendon back to Chelsea (where she was born).

I searched all the marriages between 1881 and 1884 for Fanny Warner remarrying and through another researcher discovered that she had re-married using the name Fanny Brown.  I have the marriage certificate.  I researched the marriages to see if Fanny Warner had married a BROWN between 1881-1884 but she hadn't.

Through the same researcher who is related to the Warners we discovered that the 2 daughters on marrying used the surname BROWN declaring their father as James Brown.

I believe that George Warner left Fanny, I don't think there will have been a divorce but I will try your suggestion thank you...........perhaps the shame? caused her to re-marry using a different surname?

thanks for your help and sorry for taking so long in replying I have just got back from my jolly holidays  8)

thanks and regards

Sarah