Author Topic: WRIGHT  (Read 4379 times)

Offline alison300

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WRIGHT
« on: Sunday 01 June 08 18:16 BST (UK) »
Anyone else researching the WRIGHT family who originated in St Lukes, St Giles Cripplegate before moving to West Ham/Stratford, Edmonton/Tottenham, Romford or Hendon areas?
Wright (West Ham, Stratford, Cripplegate)
Widenstrom (Chicago and Minnesota)
Swain (Cripplegate, St Lukes)
Wolfe (St Giles in the Fields)
Willis (Gt. Leighs; Brentford)
Bryant (Bristol, Glos)
Searle (Kent/Surrey)
Keyworth (Yorkshire)
Biggs (Harrow Weald)
Collins (Harrow Weald and Wiltshire)
Langston (Harrow Weald)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: WRIGHT
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 June 08 19:27 BST (UK) »
Hello Alison

I'm trying to find my g.grandfather's ancestors but haven't a clue whereabouts in Middlesex he came from.  His name was George William WRIGHT and he was born around 1856/8.  As I can't find a marriage for him and my g.gran, I can't buy a certificate to find out his father's name.  All I know is that his mother was supposed to be called Da Costa or similar and was of Spanish or Portuguese origin.

Does any of this ring any bells?

Lizzie

Offline alison300

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 June 08 19:43 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I think we've been in contact before.  I don't have any Da Costa's on my tree unfortunately nor do I have a George William.  How many years did you search for a marriage?  One of my lot married 17 years after their first child was born so it pays to do a wide search.  Have you found him on any census?  Or does he just give his place of birth as London?  Did George William have any siblings.  I've found my Wrights a difficult bunch to track down - sometimes its worth searching side-ways (ie siblings) as that can provide clues as to which districts to search.  I will keep a look out for you in case I come across anything.
Bryant (Bristol, Glos)
Searle (Kent/Surrey)
Keyworth (Yorkshire)
Biggs (Harrow Weald)
Langston (Harrow Weald)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 June 08 20:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Alison

Thanks for your reply.  George is on the 1891 and 1901 census with my g.gran and his children with her, (plus one or two of hers from her first marriage).  One census shows London, the other Middlesex.  That's all I know about him.  I can't find a marriage from the date of my g.gran's last child with her first husband in 1878 (he is listed as deceased on the birth certificate - but I can't find a death certificate for him either, although he could have died at sea), until she died in 1926.

As I don't know the names of George's father, I can't find his family prior to the 1891 census as there are too many options.  I don't know if he had any siblings as I don't know where he came from.  All I know is that on the 1891 census he is shown as a fisherman.  I've even tried searching previous census for men in Middlesex who have the same name as his two sons, just in case he called either of them after his father, or brothers if he had any.

Oh well, hopefully something will turn up sooner or later.

Lizzie

Offline crystalight

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Happy Hunting
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 June 08 18:59 BST (UK) »
 ::) My London/Middlesex geography is not the best so this may be way off but I have Charles Wright born 1797 or 1801 Hockcliffe Bedfordshire married 1822 at St. George in the Borough to Lucy (Richardson?)

Their first two children were born/baptised at St. Helens Church, Bishopsgate London, Middlesex,
1. Charles Joseph Wright born 23 March 1823, bap 20 July 1823
2. Elizabeth W. Wright born around 1827

Crystal  :D
Oakes and Rance - Cheshire
Wright, Teesdale, MacWhirter -Sussex
Wright, Wooldridge and Little - Surrey and London
Grimes - Middlesex and Surrey
Cardy - Surrey
Broyd, Hanch and Lazell - Essex
Bradshawe - Hampshire, London and East Indies
Hearsey - India (British Army), Cumberland and London

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline alison300

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 02 June 08 19:31 BST (UK) »
Lizzie

I have been racking my brain but can't think of anything to help you.  What was George William's wife's name? 
Bryant (Bristol, Glos)
Searle (Kent/Surrey)
Keyworth (Yorkshire)
Biggs (Harrow Weald)
Langston (Harrow Weald)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 02 June 08 19:50 BST (UK) »
Alison

My g.gran was called Maria Collett, her first husband was John Alden, but she changed her name to Maria Wright at some point.  She is shown on my gran's birth certificate in 1884 as Maria Wright, late Alden, formerly Collett.  On her death certificate, the informant was George William Wright, widower of deceased.  However, I cannot find a marriage for George and Maria. 

As I mentioned before, she is on the 1881 census as Maria Alden (actually mistranscribed as Abden) a widow, but I have searched for a marriage to George from the mid 1870s, even though her youngest Alden child was born in 1878 and that child's father is shown as deceased on the birth certificate.

Thank you Crystal,

I'll try to follow Charles Joseph Wright to see if he had a son called George William.  It's just that his mother was apparently called Da Costa.  I always knew my dad's grandmother was either Spanish or Portuguese, but never knew the surname. 

At the time it didn't occur to me to ask about her.  I'm not sure why I didn't ask any questions because although I was a child, I did know the names of my mother's grandparents.  Maybe that was because my gran lived with us, so there was more discussion/reminiscences going on around me.  My aunt says George's mother's surname was Da Costa, my dad who died in 2001, used to say it was Carreras or something similar like the tobacco company.  In fact he said that he was descended from one of the sons who was the black sheep of the family and was thrown out and made his way to England!  As my dad used to tell us stories, none of which I've proved to be true yet, that is probably just another of his tales.

Lizzie