Author Topic: Did he serve time in prison.  (Read 3395 times)

Offline eric

• RootsChat Senior
  • Thank you for any help
    • View Profile
Did he serve time in prison.
« on: Tuesday 03 June 08 12:16 BST (UK) »
Hello,
Can any please help me please solve this problem? Grandfather Francis John Davies born 1859 married two sisters, The first sister Sarah Annctt Dudley died in 1895.  He probably marred the younger sister Sophia Dudley in the period 1902 to 1904, which would be an illegal marriage according to"Canon Law" this was not changed until an Act of Parlament in 1907. They would have been living in the Llanfechain/ Newtown area of Montgomeryshire at the time.
Many thanks in anticipation.
Regards, Eric.

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
Re: Did he serve time in prison.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 June 08 12:33 BST (UK) »
Hiya Eric

Probably not

It happened a lot and unless someone actually reported the matter nothing seemed to be done about it. You will usually find they married in a different church to the first one or it was the same church with a different vicar who wasn't aware of the first marriage

My GGGrandfather married two sisters and I haven't found anything about him serving time. I think it was also a case of the second marriage being declared 'null and void' if it was reported but they appear on the census living together and producing children

The children were baptised which I think might have been an issue if the marriage was dissolved

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 June 08 13:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Eric,

Could this be the marriage:

Francis J Davies   Sept 1914   Newtown    11b 253

bride:  Sophia Dudley

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 June 08 14:05 BST (UK) »
If you read the detail of Cannon Law in areas such as this you will find that although they should not have been permitted to marry, once they are married it is a lot more lax about doing anything about it.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 June 08 14:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Eric,

Could this be the marriage:

Francis J Davies   Sept 1914   Newtown    11b 253

bride:  Sophia Dudley

Nanny Jan

The North Wales BMD has this as Francis John Davies and Sophia Dudley. It was a 'civil marriage' and, as it was after 1907, I don't think there would have been a problem.

A nice little summary chart and dates of changes is given here:

http://www.genetic-genealogy.co.uk/Toc115570145.html

Gadget  :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline eric

• RootsChat Senior
  • Thank you for any help
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 17 June 08 21:24 BST (UK) »
Hello Willow X, Nanny Jan, David Behindthefrogs and Gadget.
Many thanks for your replies and the effort you have all gone too.
 I think I probably did not give sufficient information on my first request for help. I do not think Grand Mother Sophia Dudley and Francis John Davies's four children by  his first marriage to Sophia's sister,  would not have faced the humiliation of going to the workhouse in Bridgnorth, a position they were in some eighteen months later, after him losing his position as Headmaster and she losing her position as school teacher if there was not some element of truth in our believe that he may have been in prisoned.  They both regaining there positions as Headmaster and School Teacher after their Leagal marriage in 1914, again at a Church School in Penegos, Machynllyth.
Is there any way I can find the answer to this little problem?
Regards, Eric.

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 June 08 09:44 BST (UK) »
Hiya Eric

It might be worth looking at the local newspaper archives as there might be some mention there.

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /