Author Topic: Another research-related question: IGI vs Scotlands People  (Read 1352 times)

Offline jimmain

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Another research-related question: IGI vs Scotlands People
« on: Tuesday 03 June 08 17:12 BST (UK) »
If I have researched IGI & found a couple I was looking for, but no information on their parents or children, is there more information on Scotlands People? In other words, if there is more information on Scotlands People, why bother with IGI?
Main, Mitchell; Stirlingshire
Drummond; Perth
Florence; Aberdeen

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Another research-related question: IGI vs Scotlands People
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 June 08 17:48 BST (UK) »
First of all, IGI is free to use, you can get a better variation of names whereas Scotland's People gives you results for the names you put in the search boxes, you can do a parents search in IGI. IGI (and other bits of LDS site) have both submitted records and extracted records and both sorts can have errors.
However, on Scotland's People you can get a scanned copy of the original certificates.
The information on Scottish certificates is explained in great detail on Scotland's People website and there are even samples of the various certificates to show you what you should find on a certificate.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 June 08 19:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Jim

There is a good summary of research tools available here on RootsChat prepared some time ago by Pam, including details of what's included on OPR entries and statutory BMDs:

www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,24468.0.html

You also have a guide as to how to maximize your of use Scotlands People, trying to avoid making obvious mistakes on searches and thereby saving units (money  ::))

www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,43916.0.html

My own golden rule Jim is to get comfortable with the different resources and what they each have to offer and then combine them as you need to - they each have strengths and weaknesses. My main three sources, and I am sure the same for most people will be Scotlands People, IGI and transciptions of the censuses with enhaced search options when compared to Scotlands People (Ancestry).

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 June 08 01:10 BST (UK) »
Hi

If I have researched IGI & found a couple I was looking for, but no information on their parents or children, is there more information on Scotlands People? In other words, if there is more information on Scotlands People, why bother with IGI?

It depends upon what exactly what you are looking at. For example between 1855 & 1875 the IGI has transcribed the births and marriages from the registers but on Scotlandspeople you can download the register page which has far more info on it.

Andy

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 June 08 01:19 BST (UK) »