Author Topic: PATRICK's of Ayrshire - OPR Lookups Please  (Read 4695 times)

Offline paddy_k1w1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
PATRICK's of Ayrshire - OPR Lookups Please
« on: Wednesday 04 June 08 13:34 BST (UK) »
Hello All,
Am hoping to find someone who has access to OPR's, who can help me piece together the ancestry of Robert PATRICK & Jean SHEDDEN [SHEDDAN] please.

I seem to have come to a 'dead end'.  This is what I have so far:

ROBERT PATRICK was born 13 Feb 1732 in Drumbuie, and died 1802. He married JEAN SHEDDEN [SHEDDAN], daughter of ? Hugh Shedden & Jean Jack.  She was born 27 Jun 1732 in Kilensh, Dalry, Ayrshire.     

Children of Robert Patrick & Jean Shedden are:
Mary, b. 31 Jan 1755, Beith
James, b. 03 Apr 1757
Janet, b. 23 Dec 1759, Beith
Robert, b. 09 Jun 1762, Beith, Ayrshire

Would be grateful for any help I can get.

Cheers
Paddy
[New Zealand]

Wm PATRICK b. abt 1745 - Wm PATRICK b. 1770 Glasgow - Wm PATRICK b. abt 1814 Beith - Wm PATRICK b. 1835 Beith d. 1914 NZ
Robt PATRICK b. 1732 Beith - James PATRICK b. 1757 Beith - Margt PATRICK b. 1780 Beith
Wm MILLAR b. abt 1803 - Mary MILLAR b. 1842 Kilmarnock d. 1920, NZ
Robert CROZIER b. 1776 - Mary CROZIER b. 1800 - Mary Anne BLAIR b. 1836 - Elizabeth EMERSON b. 1867
Thomas EMERSON b. abt 1800 - John EMERSON b. 1824 - Elizabeth EMERSON b. 1867

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: PATRICK's of Ayrshire - OPR Lookups Please
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 June 08 13:43 BST (UK) »
Hi paddy

I'm not sure what you need but the Scotlands People have digitised and indexed  the OPRs and the index and images can be viewed and downloaded from their site

www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

The LDS have also filmed and indexed the OPRS (as the IGI) . Not all are online but films for the parishes can be ordered and viewed  at a local Family History Centre.

I see that Robert Patrick was born 7th and baptised 13 Feb 1732 in  the parish of Beith, Ayrshire and his father's name was Robert Patrick living Overgree.

Unfortunately, some of the early OPRs do not give as mother's name and it is then a bit of detective work to check for likely spouses or checking if their are any likely siblings who might have a name mentioned. Sometime, it's virtually impossible.

Another line of investigation is to see if there are monumental inscriptions for them.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline paddy_k1w1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 June 08 14:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you Gadget,

I have searched the LDS & IGI but have not found anything that confirms I'm on the right track, but will keep trying.  Is there a fee to search ScotlandsPeople website?

I don't live in Scotland and am wondering where 'Overgree'  or 'Drumbuie' is?  Are they both in the Parish of Beith by any chance??

I have a Robert Patrick [snr] as married to a JANET MAXWELL but can't seem to confirm whether these are the parents of Robert Patrick, husband of Jean Sheddan.

ROBERT PATRICK [snr] was born in ?Drumbuie, and died 1792.  He married JANET MAXWELL. She was born in Braidieland, near Paisley.

Children of ROBERT PATRICK and JANET MAXWELL are:
17. i. ROBERT9 PATRICK, b. 13 Feb 1732, Drumbuie; d. 1802.
18. ii. JAMES PATRICK, b. Drumbuie.
iii. WILLIAM PATRICK. [Merchant in Calcutta]
iv. CATHERINE PATRICK.
v. JANET PATRICK, m. FRANCIS ORR.
vi. JANE PATRICK, m. NATHANIEL GIBSON. [Town Clerk of Paisley]

cheers
Paddy
Wm PATRICK b. abt 1745 - Wm PATRICK b. 1770 Glasgow - Wm PATRICK b. abt 1814 Beith - Wm PATRICK b. 1835 Beith d. 1914 NZ
Robt PATRICK b. 1732 Beith - James PATRICK b. 1757 Beith - Margt PATRICK b. 1780 Beith
Robert CROZIER b. 1776 - Mary CROZIER b. 1800 - Mary Anne BLAIR b. 1836 - Elizabeth EMERSON b. 1867

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 June 08 14:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Paddy

Scotland's People is a pay to view site but most of us think that it is very reasonable. For example, to start you off, I got up the image of Robert's baptism in the parish of Beith. The index search cost 1 unit and the image cost 5 units (1 unit = 20p). The image is of the actual entry in the parish records.

Beith was the parish where Robert was baptised. On the entry it says that his father, Robert, was 'in Overgree'. There is no mention of Drumbuie on the baptism entry.

Here is a link to the location of Beith itself (as opposed to the parish which was larger). It would be worth your while zooming in and panning around to search for the locations - maybe a farm or a small settlement.

Click for Map

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 June 08 17:05 BST (UK) »
Hi again Paddy  :)

If you Google Drumbuie +Ayrshire,  there are lots of references to a Farm in Beith.

Drumbuie as a place is in South Ayrshire but your Robert (with the dates you've given) was definitely Beith.

Gadget

Offline paddy_k1w1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 05 June 08 00:31 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your help!
I will definitely give ScotlandsPeople a go. 
It makes sense that Robert was from Beith, as that is where my gt gt grandfather was born and Robert would have been his gt gt grandfather. 

Kind regards
Paddy

Offline M3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 08 August 08 09:52 BST (UK) »
 Hi
Overgree Farm is nr Burnhouse in Parish of Beith.
Incidently,I also have Patricks on my tree

Offline paddy_k1w1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 08 August 08 10:09 BST (UK) »
Hi there!
Thank you for that wee snippet of info re: Overgree 
Now, lets see if you're Patrick's are connected to my Patrick's shall we?

William Patrick [b.1770 Glasgow] and Margaret Patrick [formerly Patrick] [b.1780, Beith] - married 1798, Beith

James Patrick [b.1757, Beith] & Mary Howie [b. abt 1758] - married 1778, Dalry

Robert Patrick [b. 1732, Drumbuie Farm, Beith] & Jean Sheddan [b.1732, Dalry]

Robert Patrick of Overgree [d. 1792]

Would be keen to know the names of your Patrick's.
Look forward to hearing from you

Paddy Patrick

Offline M3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 08 August 08 10:21 BST (UK) »
Hi
I will need to get back to you on the Patrick side,as its a long long time since I looked at them.
Ive been concentrating on a different bit:their descendents.
My earliest Patrick that I can remember was Hugh Patrick,father of Mary who married Robert Lymeburner. If I remember correctly,it was nearby,in Riccarton

Cheers
Mary in Ayrshire