Author Topic: My computer has a blue screen  (Read 1384 times)

Offline Jaki

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
My computer has a blue screen
« on: Thursday 20 January 05 23:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi

When i start my computer now it goes straight to a blue screen with an error message about an unmountable boot volume. Have tried to boot from a cd but it asks for a floppy which i dont have.

What i would like to know is does this mean a new hard drive or do i just need to take it somewhere to someone with more knowledge to fix any corrupted files.

I am using the computer at work at the moment .... and work is really cutting into my time on rootschat .... lol .....  ;D

Jaki
<i>OK Charles Henry Kingwell when did you arrive in Australia????</i><br /><b>Coates</b> - Warwickshire, Staffordshire??<br /><b>Hall</b> - Warwickshire, Yorkshire<br /><b>Hirst</b> - Yorkshire<br /><b>Kingwell, Bulley, Bunce</b> - Devon<br /><b>Sample</b> - Northumberland, Durham<br /><b>Shipp</b> - Gloucester<br /><b>MacGillivray, Grant, Forbes, McBean</b> - Scotland

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: My computer has a blue screen
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 January 05 23:31 GMT (UK) »
 :o That's what is known as the blue screen of death in our house, but we don't usually get it on boot-up.  I reckon this is one for Trystan and some serious fixer-up in Oz.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline earley-bird

• RootsChat Senior
  • I am ready for something...but I don't know what!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 January 05 23:41 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to hear you have problems with your PC Jaki
If you have important files on your hard drive that have not been backed up recently then I would advise most strongly that you do not try to fix or restart your computer again. You will possibly cause more damage and make it even more difficult for a PC techie to recover your data.
Chances are that it is your boot data on your hard drive that is corrupted . This will prevent your PC booting to Windows
This should be recoverable by using your Windows XP CD install disk
take a look here
http://support.gateway.com/s/issues/158032510.shtml
Whitchurch, Westminster / Buckinghamshire
Cooper,     Westminster
Pollard     Surrey
Earley,  Holborn London
Bruce,  London
Kangeisser  London
Lawlor, Widnes Lancashire
Hagan   Widnes Lancashire

All Census Lookups are are Crown Copyright, National Archives for academic and non-commercial research purposes only, I support copyright, a Wife, 2x children  a dobie, 2 x cats, a Tawny owl. and several mice if the drop

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 January 05 09:13 GMT (UK) »
I agree with earley on this one - it's probably just the boot sector (the very first tiny little part part of your hard disk) that is corrupted in some way, and the rest of the data on your hard disk will be all there and recoverable. Take it to your friendly techie. :)
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline earley-bird

• RootsChat Senior
  • I am ready for something...but I don't know what!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 January 05 09:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the confirmation Trystan. Hope I'm not treading on any toes here in responding to this post!? Its just one way I can perhaps offer a little back to the community who have already given me so much in just a few weeks.

My guess is it might  be a virus problem I wonder how many on this forum use good anti virus/ trogan software like AVG  Zonealarm  and Spysweeper  all free to download!
Whitchurch, Westminster / Buckinghamshire
Cooper,     Westminster
Pollard     Surrey
Earley,  Holborn London
Bruce,  London
Kangeisser  London
Lawlor, Widnes Lancashire
Hagan   Widnes Lancashire

All Census Lookups are are Crown Copyright, National Archives for academic and non-commercial research purposes only, I support copyright, a Wife, 2x children  a dobie, 2 x cats, a Tawny owl. and several mice if the drop

Offline Kazza

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking into Holes
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 21 January 05 11:29 GMT (UK) »
Earley,

We welcome advice from all members.  You don't have to be part of any club,  except RootsChat,  to offer advice on our boards.  If techie matters are your forte,  jump in whenever you can.  ;D

And your point about protection is a good one.  For a novice it can be difficult to understand why you would need software of these 3 types to provide the fullest protection.  A lot of our users are genealogy experts,  and came to computers later.

Glad you could give something back.

Kazza.

Welsh Lass
Surname interests:
Clementsten, Hobson, Hole, Marden, O'Clements, Pitten, Sharland, Vickery (Vicary), Williams.

Area Interests:
Cardiff, Bampton, Bideford, Crediton, Wollaston, Somerset, Tidenham, Norway, Australia to Bristol.

Offline Fifer

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 21 January 05 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jaki

When this has happened to us before hubby has just reinstalled over the top of your existing operating system.
to boot from cd you will have to go into the bios system of your pc to change it to boot from cd.

or you could go to the following website and dowload the boot disk
http://www.bootdisk.com/

and put it onto disk but remember it may take a few floppys

but it is easier to boot from cd if you need further advice on how to do this send me a private message and we will take you through it.

Fifer :)
Barclay,baxter,Cook,Cowie,Dryburgh,Hughes,Morris,Murray,Simpson,Westwater from Fife Scotland.

Hatton,Roscoe,Smith,Ellison,Hardy,Harding,Holmes,Randles, Fishwick from Wirral Cheshire,

Barnett,Hempsall,Humphrey,Ward,Wrench  from Lincolnshire

Hartshorne,Wilson,Brass,Dodds,Hunter from Durham

Offline Jaki

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 28 January 05 00:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to everyone for your replies.

After going through withdrawals all weekend i rang my friendly computer shop and took it to be looked at. They have fixed it ... good news no bad sectors ... so will now be able to surf at home and have a proper look at everything without having to keep a lookout for the boss.

Thanks for the website Fifer ... will have a look at it for next time ... did i just say that ... lol ... hopefully wont be a next time for a long time ...

Jaki
<i>OK Charles Henry Kingwell when did you arrive in Australia????</i><br /><b>Coates</b> - Warwickshire, Staffordshire??<br /><b>Hall</b> - Warwickshire, Yorkshire<br /><b>Hirst</b> - Yorkshire<br /><b>Kingwell, Bulley, Bunce</b> - Devon<br /><b>Sample</b> - Northumberland, Durham<br /><b>Shipp</b> - Gloucester<br /><b>MacGillivray, Grant, Forbes, McBean</b> - Scotland

Offline Keith Bateman

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 28 January 05 01:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jaki,

Welcome back - much better at home - with no one looking over your shoulder!!  ;D ;D

As earley says make sure you have upto date protection from the 3 things.

Happy hunting

Keith
Bateman - Ware, Herts, London.<br />Partington - Liverpool - Devon - Manchester<br />Foster - Liverpool - Manchester - Scotland<br />Gates - Cumberland - Liverpool - Manchester - Australia<br />Westwood - Ware, Herts<br /><br /><br />"Any information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Has Bouncing Emails