Author Topic: Book about Killashandra  (Read 3085 times)

Offline linden

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Book about Killashandra
« on: Saturday 14 June 08 23:30 BST (UK) »
Has anyone read "FAMILY AND FARM IN PRE-FAMINE IRELAND    The Parish of Killashandra" by Kevin O'Neill  ?

There are extracts of this book online . The detail is astonishing and it really explains why my ancestors left in the 1820's/1830's . It looks to be a very well researched and interesting book .

What I'm wondering is , does anyone know whether the author's sources might have included names ?  A researcher in the National Archives in Dublin suggested , because of the naming pattern , that my ancestors might have come from Killashandra . So far I haven't been able to trace them . This book has made me hope that some of his statistics and sources might contain names .

One of the areas I have wondered about is , if the families emigrated because of poverty , how did they afford the passage ?  And this book seems to suggest that someone was recording the people who emigrated and they were stll "included" in some way in the community they left behind .
Has anyone read the whole book ?

My ancestors moved to Stockport around 1830 .  Father was a "hawker of small goods" , everyone else was a weaver .  I wonder whether they went to join family as the Irish community there was well established .
In 1852 there was a serious riot between the English and the Irish in the town .  In a newspaper archive I found my  great great grandfather , Bernard Leddy , mentioned in the report as a witness .  There is also a very long and fascinating contemporary article in the Stockport newspaper .

I'm thinking of spending a couple of nights in the county next week . Can anyone suggest things to do ; places to stay and what is best to do for family research ?
Linden

Offline ftipple

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Book about Killashandra
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 November 11 22:15 GMT (UK) »
This book was based on an analysis of the household returns of the 1841 census of the civil parish Killashandra, one of the very few surviving sections of the 1841 Census of Ireland. The original returns are in the National Archives of Ireland, in Dublin, where microfilm copies are available for consultation. No transcript has ever been published but there is an article by Fr. G. Atwill (The 1841 census of Killeshandra parish) in Breifne, v.5, no 17, 1976, pp. 7-36 that includes a breakdown of surname by townland
Duignan
(O') Kennedy
(O') Herlihy
O'Dwyer
Cunningham/Cunniam
Boylan