Author Topic: DAVIES, James Patrick , born Ireland - now complete  (Read 3169 times)

Offline RobynD

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
DAVIES, James Patrick , born Ireland - now complete
« on: Tuesday 17 June 08 07:57 BST (UK) »
My husband's family "believe" that James Patrick DAVIES  emigrated to Australia from "somewhere in Ireland". 

He was born about 1855, and died in Australia.  He married Elizabeth McSHERRY, place unknown.  They had the following children, all born in Sydney: Elizabeth b. 1884, John b.abt 1885, Joseph b. 1886 (my husband's grandfather), Charles b 1902, Helen b 1904 and Thomas b. 1907.

It is said that JAMES PATRICK DAVIES came to Australia with his two brothers seeking their fortune in the gold rush era.  James Patrick Davies remained in Australia, but his two other brothers  apparently dispersed to parts/countries unknown.

RobynD
Knapman - Devon; Milton - Devon; Davies - Galway; McSharry - Leitrim;  Read - Battersea, Surrey; Delany - Dublin, Ireland; Campbell - Antrim; Yeomans - Kyneton, Warwickshire - third fleet convict to Australia; Facey - Bristol. - convict to Australia;  fletcher - Galway;  Faulkner - Mile End, London.

Offline RobynD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
DAVIES, JAMES PATRICK , BORN IRELAND
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 June 08 08:22 BST (UK) »
My husband's family believe that their James Patrick Davies was born "somewhere" in Ireland, about 1850ish.   He married Elizabeth Anne McSherry, place unknown.

He is supposed to have come to Australia with his two brothers (names unknown) in the gold rush era here.

James and Elizabeth had the following children all born in Sydney:
Elizabeth b 1884; John b abt 1885, Joseph b 1886 (my husband's grandfather); Charles b 1902; Helen b 1904; Thomas b 1907.

I know this is a pitifully small amount of information, but I am just hoping someone may recognise the names - and hopefully provide details of his townland, baptisms and any other information.

I have his son Joseph's marriage certificate which shows James Patrick Davies as born "Ireland" - that's all.

Any and all replies will be very gratefully appreciated.

RobynD

P.S  I've checked various shipping records to Australia, but there are so many James Davies, it is impossible to know which is the correct one.
Knapman - Devon; Milton - Devon; Davies - Galway; McSharry - Leitrim;  Read - Battersea, Surrey; Delany - Dublin, Ireland; Campbell - Antrim; Yeomans - Kyneton, Warwickshire - third fleet convict to Australia; Facey - Bristol. - convict to Australia;  fletcher - Galway;  Faulkner - Mile End, London.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: DAVIES, James Patrick , born Ireland
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 June 08 21:58 BST (UK) »
Civil registration of births in Ireland only started in 1864 so there will be no birth certificate for a person born before that date.
Does James Patrick Davies' death certificate give any clues as to parents, birthdate/place, arrival in Australia. etc.?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline RobynD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 June 08 05:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your response to my posting.  The  odd thing is that I can't find a death certificate for this elusive man.  Whilst there are many, many JAMES DAVIES in the Death Registers, there are none  that can properly identify him.  So, short of buying some 20+ death certificates...!  I was therefore hoping I might be able to find him through a message posting to Roots.Chat. 

The one and only reference in Ireland records  I have found of a man by the name of JAMES PATRICK DAVIES is an Ancestry  board titled  "Ireland, The Royal Irish Constabulary 1816-1921".   I am not a paying subscriber to Ancestry.com, but if anyone out there is, I wonder whether you would mind checking this for me.

I have even checked the convict records, but nothing there.  It's as though the man does not want to be found !!!.

Any further assistance by any kind soul is much appreciated.

Robyn D

P.S.  I live in rural NSW, so do not have access to LDS or other records unless I drive to Brisbane -nearly 3 hours away.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 June 08 08:10 BST (UK) »
James Patrick Davies, Galway, enlisted 1874, age 18.

Offline RobynD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 19 June 08 08:36 BST (UK) »
Many thanks - that gives me a starting point to find his baptism records - maybe ?

RobynD

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 19 June 08 08:55 BST (UK) »
Not really. To find church records in Ireland you need to know where the family lived- parish if not actual townland not just the county.

Offline RobynD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 19 June 08 09:22 BST (UK) »
 THANKS FOR THE MESSAGE - BUT, ANY SUGGESTIONS HOW I FIND THE TOWNLAND OR PARISH  IN GALWAY?  I DO APPRECIATE YOUR HELP, BUT DON'T KNOW WHERE TO GO NEXT
ROBYN D

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 19 June 08 09:28 BST (UK) »
Usually Australian marriage and death certificates are a great help. Are there any other descendants of James Patrick's that might have information?- quite often other branches of a family will have been handed down different (sometimes more) information, have the family Bible, old phtographs, etc.