Author Topic: Photo Restoration and Colourising.  (Read 41899 times)

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Photo Restoration and Colourising.
« Reply #54 on: Monday 07 March 05 08:45 GMT (UK) »
here's a small section of the man on the right I have played around with. The face is a pure guess.
so you can see that small steps is the secret to a reasonable result.

deadants
Cleary, Doran, Boland, McCooey, McManus, O'brien, Martin, Savage, Wallis, McCollister, Wood.  (More to come soon)

Offline Keith Bateman

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Monday 07 March 05 10:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi deadants,

Thanks for those tips - wondered how to retouch his face - not artistic enough to draw - but might be able to copy!!

Might even buy that book  - looks interesting even tho I have Paint Shop Pro - but will work in a similar way.

What a fountain of knowledge   8) 8)

Thanks again

Keith
Bateman - Ware, Herts, London.<br />Partington - Liverpool - Devon - Manchester<br />Foster - Liverpool - Manchester - Scotland<br />Gates - Cumberland - Liverpool - Manchester - Australia<br />Westwood - Ware, Herts<br /><br /><br />"Any information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Has Bouncing Emails

Paul E

« Reply #56 on: Monday 07 March 05 13:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone

Well, I dug that photo out, and the best I could do was take a piccie with my rather underspecified digital camera!

I'm really interested in what this group of people might be.  Its not part of my family (just think if they were all brothers!) but I picked it up in a second hand shop because it intrigued me.

Any ideas?

best wishes

Paul

Offline tallted

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Monday 07 March 05 15:25 GMT (UK) »
Paul,
The pic looks like it needs minimal restoration, I could not look at detail as the resolution is not high enough.
Also you may want to look at Ant's demo on taking a photo and have no distortion due to perspective( angled).
If you want to send it at a higher resolution let me know re pm and I will give you my email addy.
Ted
Surnames I am Interested in:
Dolan, Banks, Chambers, Bemi, Hills, Crowe

Paul E

« Reply #58 on: Monday 07 March 05 16:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ted

I think I need to get it scanned!

Any ideas on what the group might be?  It has a sort of colonial look to it to me.

Paul

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Monday 07 March 05 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paul,
       If you could get it scanned  so we can all get a good look at the detail, then we could all have our two cents  worth of guessing what or  who  this group might be.

In the mean time, I have straightened it up a bit so we can have a better look.

Ants
Cleary, Doran, Boland, McCooey, McManus, O'brien, Martin, Savage, Wallis, McCollister, Wood.  (More to come soon)

Offline tallted

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday 08 March 05 22:05 GMT (UK) »
Keith,
did a bit more, but ants is right more resolution is needed and definetly need to patch and paste some parts.  The child could be taken out or a cowboy hat put on and a bandit mask across his face, hahaha.
Oh well it is a tough one, good luck. write if I can help any.
Ted
Surnames I am Interested in:
Dolan, Banks, Chambers, Bemi, Hills, Crowe

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Wednesday 09 March 05 00:03 GMT (UK) »
Hey Paul, I was wondering if your mystery photo could  possibly be an embassy photo. US ambassador and staff. Maybe a touring  cricket team. Royal family and cabinet ministers.

I starting to get sucked into this intriguing photo.

Please get it scanned. We have to solve this mystery

deadants

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Wednesday 09 March 05 00:31 GMT (UK) »
Keith's photo is starting to look pretty neat. Not much  to go and it will be ready for a sepia tone to lift it back to life.

How's the PSP going Keith? Here's a link to some video tutorials for psp. http://www.computer-training-software.com/paint-pro.htm

You might want to have a look at Adobe Photoshop Elements 3.0 http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshopelmac/main.html It will alow you to do all the repair work but a lot cheaper than the full version.

deadants