Author Topic: GEORGE HOOD  (Read 28871 times)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: GEORGE HOOD
« Reply #63 on: Sunday 29 June 08 10:02 BST (UK) »
John where are the certificate details?  Wouldn't take long to type them up. :D

Cheers
Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Sunday 29 June 08 13:08 BST (UK) »
John, Yes, as Cando says, we're still awaiting the certificate details ...

Also, I'm very puzzled as to where you are coming from in this research ...

Do you have an ancestral line back to George (jnr) the wood machinist and are you then trying to trace further back from him?

Or are you trying to trace forwards all the descendants of Samuel HOOD and Elizabeth RILEY?

Or is it some sort of partial HOOD one-name study?

Regards,

JAP
PS: I'd love to see the 1945 Jane LOW dc info - but, of course, that would cost money and might be yet another red herring ...

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Sunday 29 June 08 15:46 BST (UK) »
Marriage cert George Hood
Date and place of marriage 3/5/1887 Liverpool
Name and surname of parties  George Hood -Widower
                                                 Jane Golding - Spinster

Birthplaces--Not Recorded

Married in the "Manse" Liverpool,according to the rites of the presbytarian church

Occupation George-Painter
                  Jane-Governess Deaf and Dumb Asylum

Usual address George - Liverpool
                        Jane Darlington Sydney
No fathers names or mothers maiden names recorded or occupations

Witnesses William Joseph McNeill, Ellen Lucy Leane--Charles Naismith officiating minister.

Death cert
Date and place of death 18.August 1915 Princes Street Granville
Name and occupation George Hood-Painter aged 91
Name and occupation of father--Samuel Hood Furnaceman, Bessie Unknown
Informant George Hood  SON  View Street Marrickville
Particulars of Reg  John Roper 18.August 1915 Granville
When and where buried 20th August 1915 Presbyterian Cemetary Rookwood-William Metcalf-undertaker
Hugh Wilson-Presbytarian minister--Witnesses Clive Rogers/Alexander Watt
When and where born-Lancashire England  50years nsw
Place of marriage Liverpool nsw age at marriage 63 Jane Golding
Children of marriage-George Hood 25--1female deceased.

George Jun marriage.
14.Feb 1914 St Clements Church Marrickville
George Hood - wood machinist-Marrickville Sydney
Ada Ethel Carnwell-Milliner--Marrickville Sydney    according to rites of Church of England.
George-bachelor birthplaceBurwood age 24 father George Hood-Boilermaker- Mother Jane Samson
Ada Ethel-spinster -Marrickville-age 29- father Henry Carnwell-builder, mother Sarah Ann Cooke

Witnesses Sidney James Taylor, Rose Anna Higgins
William Martin-offical minister.

George death
Place of registration St Leonards
Hood George
Occ-Woodmachinist  -male aged 80
DOD-6.2.1969
Place of death-Castleleap Private Hosp, Undercliffe
Usual res-38 Kitchener Road Earlwood
Place of birth Auburn NSW
Length of time in Aust----------
Father--Unknown Hood--blacksmith
Mother  Jane Low
Place of marriage Marrickville NSW
At what age 28
To whom Ada Ethel Carnwell
Conjugal status--widower
Issue in order--Roy 50 years , Harold 48  None deceased
Infirmant- R Hood Son  15 Lucerne Ave Merrylands
Date and place of burial 8.2.1969 Rookwood Crem William Blandford church of englandofficer in charge
Witnesses K BAKER. D BRANNIGAN.

Hope I've not missed anything.

Samuel Hood born 1807 was the brother of my gggrandfather Henry Hood 1816. As often happens my family line is really boring to that of relations. Samuel in particular had 15 children, 3 different partners, a flamboyant lifestyle and lived a good age to enjoy it all.

Thanks again guys.

John
Ps I have a photo of Samuel, am I allowed to paste this on to a posting if you would like to see??

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Sunday 29 June 08 16:44 BST (UK) »
Jap,
You have mentioned a couple of times Jane Low died 1945 Auburn, parents Charls Mary A. I am happy to order the death cert but would like to know your thinking before I do as do you not think this is the same Jane Low born 1858 Liverpool parents Charles and Mary ANN.
jOHN

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Monday 30 June 08 00:57 BST (UK) »
Jap,
You have mentioned a couple of times Jane Low died 1945 Auburn, parents Charls Mary A. I am happy to order the death cert but would like to know your thinking before I do as do you not think this is the same Jane Low born 1858 Liverpool parents Charles and Mary ANN.
jOHN

Hello John,

I can't see a Jane LOW born 1858 Liverpool  ???

Unfortunately we don't have an age for the Jane LOW who died 1945.

My thinking (speculation) was as follows - and it's drawing a very long bow ...

We are trying to find a possible connexion between a Jane GOLDING, a Jane LOW and a Jane SAMSON ...

The only likely NSW birth for the Jane GOLDING who m George HOOD in 1887 is in 1858 in Liverpool, parents Charles GOLDING & Mary A (probably WHITNEY) - and, of course, we don't even know whether your Jane GOLDING was born in NSW.

The only possible deaths we could find in NSW were:
- Jane HOOD in 1931; that has now been discounted from the MI.
- Jane LOW in 1945.

Jane LOW's age is not given on her death entry but her parents' names are listed as Charles & Mary Ann.

As I said, it's a long shot but it occurred to me that perhaps Jane GOLDING (later HOOD) and Jane LOW just might be one and the same ...

But purchasing the death cert (or getting a transcription) would be an expensive way to find out given that all this is nothing more than speculation ...

Regards,

JAP
PS: A bit more of my speculation ...  LOW is mentioned only on George jnr's death cert which was informed by his son Roy.  It occurred to me that Jane (GOLDING) HOOD, assuming she was left a widow in 1915 when George snr died, might have married (though we can't find a record) or taken up with a chap called LOW - and Roy (b ca 1919) might only ever have known her as LOW.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Monday 30 June 08 01:38 BST (UK) »
Hi All,
Much easier to see things with all details provided.  Thanks John.
I have nothing of material use to add to the case except this posssible scenario which I believe to be most likely.

Building on JAP's thoughts.

Jane Golding , after her marriage to George, did not remain with him beyond the time of having children.  There is no sign on electoral rolls
Young George therefore did not know her details and believed for whatever reason, that her former name was Samson, ....it may have been a 'de facto' name she was using the last time he knew of her.  No-one checked these things and on the wedding day, perhaps he was not too fussed  He  was also confused about his father's occupation.

We should bear in mind that George had no living siblings to check facts with.

Roy, by the time he came to complete his father's death details did not know much about his grandmother and used a name which may have been her more recent married name.
Again no-one was really going to check or to contribute anything as younger George had had no living siblings.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JJdownunder

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Monday 30 June 08 02:18 BST (UK) »
Hi all
 I have been watching this thread with interest and looked on the NAA Site and found a
enlisted 5th Aug 1940 aged 25

Roy Henry George Hood
Born 7 Jan 1915 Marrickville NSW
NOK Joyce Hood
address 81 Holborrow st Croydon
occ  Fitter
there is a digital copy of the record with more info re his trade apprent and tech school

I know the age /DOB doesn't quite match Georges son Roy but guess it could be a possible with him having the christian names of George And Henry in there
Looking on NSW BMD he married Joyce Daisy Weir 1938 Sydney

Not sure if this is of any help but thought I'd post it anyway

JJ
All census information is crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Lawson,Houlden,Robinson,Cooper,Farrar,Hunter,Wilson, (in yeadon rawdon guiseley) Lofthouse,Gill, (in burley in wharfedale,langcliffe,hampsthwaite) Gray (in aberford) Wetherill (in Harewood) Elliott,Hudson(in gislingham suffolk) Worm(e),Holmes (in hainford norfolk)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Monday 30 June 08 02:58 BST (UK) »
Hi JJ,
Good to have more input.

The man you found may well be our Roy HOOD.
The death notice of ROY HENRY GEORGE which is indexed at Ryerson , gives his age at death as 68 in November 1987 ==1919 birth. Interestingly  "late of Vincentia and Merrylands' which was one of our Roy's addresses.

He says as informant on his father's certificate he is aged 50  [in 1969] =1919birth.

If it is him, I am not sure why he would he would tell the army he was born in 1915.
Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Monday 30 June 08 07:04 BST (UK) »
Something which strikes me as just a bit odd among the newly provided details is the occupation - furnaceman - of George snr's father Samuel on George snr's death cert.

I guess it's in the right general area but people usually/often tried to upgrade rather than downgrade occupations (or is that just my lot!).  As I recall, Samuel had a better class of job being the Manager of an Iron Foundry or Iron Works ...

JAP