Author Topic: Muirkirk Churchyard MIs Plea  (Read 3150 times)

Offline Sally P

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Muirkirk Churchyard MIs Plea
« on: Monday 23 June 08 23:24 BST (UK) »
Wondering if anyone has Muirkirk Churchyard MIs or will be visiting the Dick Institute either this week or next.

I am hoping to visit Muirkirk in 2 weeks but will only have a limited time there and believe the Churchyard has over 260 stones.

The two stones I am hoping to find are -
Thomas MURDOCH  & wife Margaret  TEMPLETON both died pre 1841
and
James MURDOCH died between 1843 & 1851 census & wife Anne GIBSON died pre Aug 1833
In order to find the stones I need the number given to each one on the transcriptions of the MIs.

My husband says he would be really pleased if one of you can help as although he quite likes walking round Churchyards idly reading the odd old inscription he does not like walking round the ones where he has to help search for ancestors inscriptions.

Regards
Sally

Offline karenmarie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Muirkirk Churchyard MIs Plea
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 June 08 09:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Sally,

James and his second wife Janet Hope are my GGGgrandparents.  Janet died 1889 in muirkirk as a pauper.  Do you have proof that Thomas and Margaret TEMPLETON are James' parents?  (this is who I had thought his parents would be, but don't seem to be able to find any definate proof)

Karen
Ireland- McKinlay, Carlin
Lanarkshire- Lochiel, McGibbon/McCubbin, Burnside, McDougal
Ayrshire-McQuaters,McIntosh, White, McCubbin, Cunningham, Murdoch, Hope
Kirkcudbrightshire- Hay, Hannah

Offline Sally P

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 June 08 10:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen

Yes, I have the baptism image for James from Scotlandspeople. This shows that James was born 10th July 1791 to Thomas MURDOCH & Margaret TEMPLETON.

I looked for a birth for Thomas MURDOCH yesterday & although there were a few which could be him in Ayr there was no Thomas born in Muirkirk so this is my brickwall. Same with Margaret TEMPLETON.

I have the marriage for James & Janet HOPE but do you have her birth & death?

Regards
Sally

Offline karenmarie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 June 08 11:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Sally,

I have Janets DC.  Her son james didn't know his grandparents names.  However, I do have a theory on who here parents are.  I will PM you tomorrow, as I'm off to bed shortly.

Karen
Ireland- McKinlay, Carlin
Lanarkshire- Lochiel, McGibbon/McCubbin, Burnside, McDougal
Ayrshire-McQuaters,McIntosh, White, McCubbin, Cunningham, Murdoch, Hope
Kirkcudbrightshire- Hay, Hannah

Offline Sally P

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Muirkirk Churchyard MIs Plea - Completed
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 June 08 19:20 BST (UK) »
As a few people have read this posting which may be because they also have ancestors in Muirkirk I thought I would let anyone reading this know that the Dick Institute came up trumps & have helped me with my MURDOCHs. Unfortunately none of the people I listed are on the MIs but at least I don't have to spend time looking at over 260 stones for non existant inscriptions.

Regards

Sally

Offline icini

• RootsChat Senior
  • Me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 July 08 16:57 BST (UK) »
Hello: may I ask what is the "Dick Institute"?  Also I want to throw my Murdochs out there is case anyone can help with them.

Margaret Murdoch  born 1744 from Muirkirk, married to John Slimman. Parents may have been James Murdoch and Elizabeth Boy.  I say may as that was a baptism record I found ( the Kirk Of Muir) . However I realize she may not have been baptized and that would be the wrong record.  Thanks.  Donna
Lanarkshire: Dow, Dickson, Duncan, Buchanan,  Maclachlan, Wallace, Mitchel, Freckleton, Dollar, Whitten(on),Liverance, Murray, Gibson, Scoular, Telfer, Fisher,Slimman
Bo'ness: Henderson, Wallace, Foot(e)
Irvine: Petrie, Millar, Jaffrey, Allen,Boyd,
Edinburgh: Huldberg, Smith, Main, primrose
Roxburgh: Main, Smith, Sutherland
Wales: Islay, Wilkes, Morris, Ponter
England: Murray ( Windsor), Ponter ( Bath),
Ireland: Whitten, Irvine, Miller, McWilliams,Tremble,Greenaway, Stevenson,Wilson

Offline Sally P

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 13 July 08 20:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Donna

Sorry being so long with reply but just returned from a week away.
The Dick Institute in Klmarnock& the Baird Institute in Cumnock hold the main family & local history collections in Ayrshire. Here is the link which will take you to the main page for Heritage.

http://www.east-ayrshire.gov.uk/comser/libraries/heritage.asp

If you click on Family History then scroll down to the bottom on next page & click on Resources & Local Records - the next page will show you which Institute hold which records.
Hope this makes sense  :-\

Regards
Sally

Offline Lindaporter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 07 September 08 19:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen, I came across your post today. This is the first time I have used this site. I note that James Murdoch and Janet Hope are your GGG grandparents. James and his first wife Anne Gibson are my 3rd great grandparents.

Linda

Offline Lindaporter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 07 September 08 19:21 BST (UK) »
Sally, can you advise on your relationship with James Murdoch and Anne Gibson. As stated in my previous post, they are my 3rd g grandparents.

Linda