Author Topic: Morrison family Ashton in Makerfield  (Read 2006 times)

Offline frenchdressing

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Morrison family Ashton in Makerfield
« on: Tuesday 24 June 08 14:50 BST (UK) »
I'm having a problem with my ancestors the Morrisons and would like another opinion(s) if possible.

I'll try to keep it simple and in a chronological order..

Elizabeth Lowe married William Morrison in Ashton in Makerfield 24 May 1832.

Margaret Maria Morrison was born 31 May 1834. (no baptism at the time)

Ellen Morrison was born 3 March 1837 second child, second daughter of William and Elizabeth) Occupation of William 'pensioner'.

William Morrison died 23 April 1838. (palsy)

Margaret Maria was baptised 28 July 1839 (Why so late?) I haven't found a death for her.

John Morrison born 14 October 1839 (no baptism) No father on birth cert.

Ellen Morrison died 18 March 1840 (smallpox)

Ann Morrison born 4 June 1842 no father on birth cert. No baptism

William Morrison born 26 July 1848. No father on birth cert.

The residence for all the above events was Whitledge Green Ashton in Makerfield.

Elizabeth Morrison (formerly Lowe) married Thomas Partington 27 October 1850. Residence at time of marriage, Pemberton Wigan. He was 12 years older than Elizabeth. They were given as widow and widower.

Mary Partington born 9 January 1851. Residence, Lodge Lane Ashton. Haven't found a baptism yet.

There are baptisms for a John and Ann Morrison on the IGI in Wigan but when I went over to look at the parish records the father was given as William Morrison, tailor.

On John and Ann's marriage certs. no father is mentioned but I've just found a marriage for William Morrison to Hannah Glover in the parish records where the father is given as William Morrison, Engine Tenter. It must be my William as the witnesses were John Morrison and Mary Partington. I've sent for his marriage cert. to see what it says.

I can't find any of the Morrison family on the 1841 census even though Elizabeth's father, Daniel died at Whitledge Green a week before the census was taken.
There's a Thomas Partington on the 1841 census living in Lowton with his wife, Mary (15 years his senior) and daughter Ann. He was a mule spinner as he was on the marriage cert. Mary's birth cert. and his death cert. But, on the 1851/61 census he's a tea and coffee dealer. That doesn't make sense to me as there's absolutely nothing in common between the two occupations.
I had thought that perhaps Thomas was the father of Mary's children and his wife died just before Mary was born explaining why it was a "shotgun wedding" but I haven't found a death yet for a Mary Partington at that time.

I haven't found a marriage for Elizabeth to another William Morrison
So, what was Elizabeth playing at?
Any ideas?

Regards

French
Sale, Jones, Clementson,  Whitecross, Westwick, Hodgson, Roberts, Williams, kerr, Currie, Elliott, Payne, Mager, Tittley, Morrison, Scott, Brown

Lancashire, Wirral, C° Durham, Shropshire, Worcestershire, Berkshire

Offline mosiefish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Morrison family Ashton in Makerfield
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 June 08 16:33 BST (UK) »
Hi,

1841 census I think she is down as Elizabeth Lowe 30 and living at Whitledge Green.

The reference is H107/524/2 Folio 16 page 25.

It only shows the first three in the household as it has been split, but Margaret and John are both there.

If you don`t have access to the above let me know and I will transcribe it.

Regards,
Mo
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Lancs: Harrison, Entwistle, Devine, Grundy, Ashworth, Freeman, Jackson, Rushton
Cornwall: Rich, Binney, Peak(e)
Devon: Martin, Walter(s)

Offline frenchdressing

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 June 08 17:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you Mo.

I've had a look and that's the family.
Why would Elizabeth give her name and her children as Lowe and not Morrison?
If Margaret wasn't dying why was she baptised so late. Why not at the same time as her sister, Ellen?
At least I now know that Elizabeth was working as I wondered how she supported herself and her children.
I find it hard to imagine that she had 3 children with different fathers even in those days and then found someone to marry her when she was pregnant with the fourth.

I'd love to discover the father of my gtx3 grandfather John.
I'll now check the baptisms under LOwe.

Thanks again.

French
Sale, Jones, Clementson,  Whitecross, Westwick, Hodgson, Roberts, Williams, kerr, Currie, Elliott, Payne, Mager, Tittley, Morrison, Scott, Brown

Offline mosiefish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 June 08 22:54 BST (UK) »
Hi French,

I checked for any filiation/bastardy records on the A2A under both names, but there are no apparent ones which is a shame.  It may be worth checking the local records for any as they may not be online. 

As for baptisms - who knows what was going through their minds.  It could just be that they were baptised at some obscure church or chapel, but the records are not online.  I also have a GGG grandfather who was baptised a good 8 or 9 years after he was born and a G. Grandfather who was baptised twice at different churches - just for good measure!! 

Good luck,
Mo
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Lancs: Harrison, Entwistle, Devine, Grundy, Ashworth, Freeman, Jackson, Rushton
Cornwall: Rich, Binney, Peak(e)
Devon: Martin, Walter(s)

Offline frenchdressing

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 June 08 09:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Mo for your help.

I've tried to find out what happened to Margaret Morrison and there's a marriage in 1857 at St Thomas Church Ashton to a David Pilling. The trouble is, the only David Pilling I've found on later census transcriptions with a wife Margaret whose age corresponds says that she was born in Ireland.
William Morrison was a pensioner so I presume he must have been a soldier. Could he and Elizabeth have gone to Ireland fo a few years and Margaret was born there?

Next time I go to England I'll try and get to the Wigan records office to see if there was a bastardy bond.

I don't suppose I'll ever find out who my gtx3 grandfather was.

Have a nice day.

French

Offline Olly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 July 08 13:27 BST (UK) »
Found a reference for A death for Mary Partington registered Wigan in Sept quarter 1857 on FreeBMD

8c 41.

There are also several  registered in Leigh around the same time.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Olly
Bulmer Draper - Lincoln, Glasgow, Aylesbury
Bulmer - York
Draper,Keogh- Lincolnshire, Middlesex, Liverpool, Ireland
Lowe, Massey - Liverpool
Lowe - Australia
Jones, Owens - Anglesey, Liverpool
Collinson - Middlesex,Birmingham,Liverpool

Offline frenchdressing

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 03 July 08 15:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks Olly

I think that Lowton was in the district of Leigh. I'll check that out. I need a death before December 1850 when Elizabeth and Thomas Partington married. They both give there residence at the time of marriage as Pemberton, Wigan.

I've received the marriage cert. for William Morrison and on it it states that his father was William Morrison, engine tenter and it doesn't say deceased. I also have the death cert. for William Morrison father which states that he was "pensioner".
Also, the age for William is given as 18 and his wife 17. William was born in 1848 (birth cert. and no father is given.

The two witnesses on the marriage cert. were John Morrison and Mary Partington. Is it possible that there was another William Morrison who would have as witnesses John and Mary?

Have sent off for the marriage cert. for Margaret Morrison to see if she had William Morrison as father.

On the 1841 census there's a Thomas Sutton living at the same address as Elizabeth. Could he have been the father of John???

Regards

French