Author Topic: Guernsey birth 1807  (Read 1698 times)

Offline claudia99

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Guernsey birth 1807
« on: Friday 27 June 08 08:44 BST (UK) »
Would anyone have any idea of where to start looking for a birth of a Thomas Fagan in Guernsey around 1807?
I have him on each census 1841, 1851 ,1861 stating born abroad (1841), France (1851) and in 1861 Guernsey.
I do not have a great deal more to go on other than he was in Wrexham by 1841.  Do not even know if his father, also a Thomas Fagan (labourer) was from CI or just passing through.
If anyone knows of any way of tracking this birth down or even a way to find any more info on him please could you let me know.
Thanks so much,
Claudia
ALL CENSUS INFORMATION CONTAINED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT FROM www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Fagan - Guernsey (1807), Wrexham (census 1841-1871), then Barton upon Irwell from around 1873

Fildes - Manchester, Chester, Liverpool, Chorlton, Ashton, Salford (descended from Mary Pritchard and William Fildes, Sir Samuel Luke's grandparents)

Speakman - Manchester and Salford

Bridge - Manchester (initially Ardwick) and Salford

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
Re: Guernsey birth 1807
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 June 08 09:03 BST (UK) »
You can use parish registers for Guernsey in exactly the same way as for England.

However if he came from a Guernsey family I would suggest that you will need to look for a different spelling of his surname.  Fagan looks to me like an Anglicized spelling of Fagin at the simplest.  You need to consider that the name will be of French origin.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline claudia99

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 June 08 09:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks David,
Are you aware of where the parish registers are kept - are any on line?
The spelling of Fagan has stayed that way from Thomas Fagan on the 1841 census to today (it is my maiden name).
I am not sure either way if it is a French origin name or the Fagan/Fagin/Fagen from Wales and earlier Ireland?
The older members of the Fagan family always said we orginated from Wales and this Thomas was there from at least 1841.
Thanks for your information on this but if anyone does know about the Guernsey parish registers that would help.
Claudia
ALL CENSUS INFORMATION CONTAINED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT FROM www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Fagan - Guernsey (1807), Wrexham (census 1841-1871), then Barton upon Irwell from around 1873

Fildes - Manchester, Chester, Liverpool, Chorlton, Ashton, Salford (descended from Mary Pritchard and William Fildes, Sir Samuel Luke's grandparents)

Speakman - Manchester and Salford

Bridge - Manchester (initially Ardwick) and Salford

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 June 08 13:24 BST (UK) »
The parish registers are at the Priaulx Library in St Peter Port:

http://www.priaulxlibrary.co.uk/

I don't think that they are available on-line.

My sister in law married a Guernsey man, a Mr Robin (pronounced row ban).  She gave up trying to correct people's pronunciation years ago and now accepts that her surname is the same as the little bird with a red breast.

Guernsey has ten parishes and so if you can name a place on the island it would help.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk