Author Topic: UTICA, NY. Query  (Read 3927 times)

Offline BGB

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
UTICA, NY. Query
« on: Saturday 28 June 08 23:23 BST (UK) »
The Rev. Herbert Hamilton BROWN (b. London 1867) married an Emily B, (b.1895 in England) it is believed in 1929 in Utica, NY. Herbert, who was a widower, was an ordained priest of the Episcopalian Church but for some reason had become a Methodist minister in Utica. (ref. 1930 USA census). :DI should very much like to know the surname of Emily B. and to have confirmation of the marriage date. It seems from the census that Emily first entered the USA in 1929.Herbert returned to England in 1933. He died in 1935 and his sister registered the death. I was wondering if due to the wide age difference, Emily and Herbert stayed married! :'(BGB 

Offline murphy60

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: UTICA, NY. Query
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 June 08 00:12 BST (UK) »
Do you have the June 24, 1922 arrival in Gateway Wyoming of  Herbert Hamilton Brown, Episcopal Minster w/ 2 sons, Graham H.  12  and Leslie H.  9 destination Newcastle, WY ??  Also, says he has been previously in the U.S., Massachusetts in 1915.

lissa

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 June 08 00:22 BST (UK) »
If you were so inclined, you could try to order the marriage certificate:  http://www.health.state.ny.us/vital_records/genealogy.htm 

Don't know if you've seen this, but under Google books, there's a snippet view of a book from 1935 which references Rev. Herbert Hamilton Brown being instituted and inducted to the vicarage of Wix. 

Offline KathMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 June 08 12:13 BST (UK) »
I would take Shelly's advice and try to order the marriage cert. According to the 1930 census, they haven't been married long, so I would start with Oneida County for 1929 and 1930. That should have parents' names and place of birth on them, as long as the info was given correctly.

You could also try contacting the methodist Church in Utica. If you start here, they may be able to guide you:

http://www.umc.org/site/c.lwL4KnN1LtH/b.1353935/k.69CC/The_mission_of_The_United_Methodist_Church_is_to_make_disciples_of_Jesus_Christ.htm
Sligo: Davey (also Mayo), McCluskey, McNulty
Wexford and Staffordshire: Hayes, McClean
Galway and Staffordshire: Scott
Coventry: Wells, Collins, Palmer, Moody, Beck, Mickelwright, Husbands
Ireland: McNulty (Sligo), Kealy, Murphy (Carlow) Connolly, Gillen, Powell, Ryan, Moore, Martin
Davis from I don't know where originally
Stahl, Russia to England to USA

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 June 08 17:31 BST (UK) »
I thought of something else in case you want to narrow down the date of marriage and see where Herbert was working.  On www.raogk.com, there is a person listed under Onedia County, New York who does look-ups in the Utica city directories.  Often, city directories will list the spouse's name with the head of household and give employment information.

Offline BGB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 June 08 19:43 BST (UK) »
I have tried to e-mail the Methodist minister but he doesn't seem to have any address.
I have e-mailed the person who does look-ups to see if there is any information available.
A problem with marriages it seems is one has to know the date before ordering a certificate. How does one get round that?
BGB

Offline murphy60

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 29 June 08 19:54 BST (UK) »
Hi BGB,  on the website that shellyesq gave you,  scroll down to the schedule of fees for doing a search when you don't know the exact date.  1-3 years  $22

lissa

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 29 June 08 19:56 BST (UK) »
I was going to say what Lissa said.  It's not any more expensive to have them search 3 years.  Since you have it down to about 1929-1930, you should be OK, but it's nice to have a little extra confirmation if possible. 

Offline KathMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 30 June 08 10:37 BST (UK) »
At the bottom of the Methodist link is a contact us button. Start there to see if they can guide you to the right church.

Kath
Sligo: Davey (also Mayo), McCluskey, McNulty
Wexford and Staffordshire: Hayes, McClean
Galway and Staffordshire: Scott
Coventry: Wells, Collins, Palmer, Moody, Beck, Mickelwright, Husbands
Ireland: McNulty (Sligo), Kealy, Murphy (Carlow) Connolly, Gillen, Powell, Ryan, Moore, Martin
Davis from I don't know where originally
Stahl, Russia to England to USA