Author Topic: Highfield Chapel, Huddersfield  (Read 32415 times)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
Highfield Chapel, Huddersfield
« on: Friday 04 July 08 10:46 BST (UK) »
A while back, I found the only IGI baptism I could find which fitted the census info I have on my Thomas Sykes. It was in an Independent Chapel in Highfield by Huddersfield in 1792 and he's the son of John & Mary.

Now, thanks to the new Nonconformist BMD website (and £5 - for one look up!) I've got a copy of the relevant page, and it looks like the right people, as they're described as from Almondbury which is where my Sykes were from.

What is strange is that this is the only child I can find of this couple's who was baptised there.

I have a few Almondbury parish church baptism booklets from the FHS and have managed to locate a couple of definite children: Benjamin in 1803 & William in 1808 - both sons of John Sykes and Mary (nee Crawshaw) and family abode is Tunnacliff Hill.

It's very difficult to distinguish any other children in between 1792 & 1803 because only the father's name is given - looking for Sykes in this area must be as bad if not worse as looking for Smiths anywhere else!  :-\

Certainly there are no other Sykes children baptised with the abode of Tunnacliff Hill - which is definetly where the family were from.

Questions:

1. Are there any other Independent chapels nearby where any other of their earlier children may be baptised?

2. Is it usual for families in the area to use both the Dissenting and parish churches for theirBMDs? I'm sure I've got the right marriage for John Sykes & Mary Crawshaw in the Almondbury parish church in 1791 but no sign of a possible baptism for Mary Crawshaw in the area.

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline Mumsie2131

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Councillor John Heap
    • View Profile
Re: Highfield Chapel, Huddersfield
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 July 08 12:20 BST (UK) »
I think I am right in saying that at that time ALL marriages had to be in Church of England chuches.
Perhaps if Almondbury was near where they lived it was easier to get to than the Independant church near Huddersfield once they had more than one child.  Also the 'grandparent' who attended Highfield may have died or had less influence.
Heap - Holmfirth WRY
Rhodes-Flockton WRY & NE Cheshire
Ridgway- NE Cheshire & Lancahire
Roebuck - Upperthong WRY
Wild - NECheshire
Riley - NE Cheshire & Derbyshire
Greaves - NE Cheshire & Lancashire

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 July 08 12:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks - of course I should have remembered about marriages having to take place in CoE.

I've been studying maps trying to work out which side of Huddersfield was Highfield by Huddersfield. I can't seem to find it, probably swallowed up by Huddersfield by now.

The only likely baptism I can find for Mary Crawshaw is in Ripponden, so it would be interesting to know if Highfield is/was that side of Huddersfield, as opposed to the Almondbury side, as I think you may be right and that the Crawshaw family were perhaps the Nonconformists.

Jill

HELP!!!

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 July 08 13:02 BST (UK) »
I too would be delighted to learn where Highfield Chapel was (and whether anything is still there), as my Crook, Styring and Beaumont lines were all stalwarts of it since its establishment.  Many of my ancestors are buried there - wherever its burials were.

Anna  :)
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline dave the tyke

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 04 July 08 16:29 BST (UK) »
There is a mention of Highfield Chapel on this site but no mention of it's location.

http://www.huddersfield1.co.uk/huddersfield/huddstrivia1.htm

Dave
Bland, Greenwood Bland, Ellis, Benn, Woodhead, Priestley, Illingworth, Lightowler, Platts, Boys, Bradley, O'Hara, Hall<br /><br />Areas -  North Bierley, Northowram, West Bowling, Horton, Shelf, Allerton, Queensbury, Haworth, Ovenden, Halifax, Luddenden, Midgley, Elland, Littleborough

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sueclog

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 06 July 08 12:40 BST (UK) »
Highfield is very close to the centre of Huddersfield, just off the ring road. If you look at a map online, you will find Highfield in the area between A649 Trinity Street and A628  North Road. There is still a Highfield Funeral Service, but I'll ask around locally to see if anyone can tell me anything about a chapel in that area.

Sue
Greeney (Grinney); Bulley; Bentham; Holme; Sheridan; Clifton; Massey; Clarke;

Offline Christine in Portugal

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Grandparents, Ernest & Emily Walker 1920
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 06 July 08 18:08 BST (UK) »
Mallinson- Lepton, Huddersfield
Walker, Smith, Slater, Blacker - Farnley Tyas, Huddersfield
Claybourne/Clayburn - Norton Doncaster
Birkenshaw/Birkinshaw - Doncaster
Hall - Skelbrooke, Doncaster
Bisby - Campsall, Doncaster
Hemsworth - Doncaster

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 06 July 08 21:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the link & photo, Dave & Christine - very imposing building - probably very expensive flats it's been turned into!

Sue, following your directions on the map, it looks as though it's definetly central but perhaps a bit more on the Ripponden side of Huddersfield, but perhaps I'm just clutching at straws!

Jill

HELP!!!

Offline Christine in Portugal

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Grandparents, Ernest & Emily Walker 1920
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 06 July 08 22:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Jill,

It's definitely in the town centre, just off Trinity St I think, New North Road according to the photo in the link.

Christine
Mallinson- Lepton, Huddersfield
Walker, Smith, Slater, Blacker - Farnley Tyas, Huddersfield
Claybourne/Clayburn - Norton Doncaster
Birkenshaw/Birkinshaw - Doncaster
Hall - Skelbrooke, Doncaster
Bisby - Campsall, Doncaster
Hemsworth - Doncaster

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk