Author Topic: The murder of Mrs Dodsley  (Read 5923 times)

Offline Mosh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The murder of Mrs Dodsley
« on: Saturday 05 July 08 20:07 BST (UK) »
Can anyone tell me the year this murder took place?

She was murdered at Skegby.

I think it was around 1960 but I am not sure

Best wishes

Mosh

Offline forthefamily

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: The murder of Mrs Dodsley
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 July 08 20:11 BST (UK) »
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Inishowen: Meenamullaghan (Big Hill), Foffenagh (Rock), Illies and area...mainly McCallion, Doherty, Bradley, Grant, Devlin
Kilmacrenan: Gortnacorrib....Bonner
Scotland: Bonar, Boner Bonner etc
Conwal: Kirkstown.....Toner, Parke
Derry City: Bonner, McGowan, McGilloway, McElwee, Bradley
Omagh: Bradley
Fanad Penninsular, Donegal.....McBride, Friel, Fielty
Sligo: McGowan

Offline Mosh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 July 08 20:23 BST (UK) »
Mab

Thanks for that.

That is the correct one

I have read my local Free Press reports on the case some years ago but I can't remember the year.

James Robinson was a distant relative of my wife, and I know at the time there was a lot of speculation as to whether he did the murder.

Best wishes

Mosh

Offline forthefamily

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 July 08 20:39 BST (UK) »
It's quite an interesting article. It's from 2004 and a Thomas Haynes who investigated the murder plans to write a book. I wonder if he ever did  ???

mab
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Inishowen: Meenamullaghan (Big Hill), Foffenagh (Rock), Illies and area...mainly McCallion, Doherty, Bradley, Grant, Devlin
Kilmacrenan: Gortnacorrib....Bonner
Scotland: Bonar, Boner Bonner etc
Conwal: Kirkstown.....Toner, Parke
Derry City: Bonner, McGowan, McGilloway, McElwee, Bradley
Omagh: Bradley
Fanad Penninsular, Donegal.....McBride, Friel, Fielty
Sligo: McGowan

Offline Mosh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 July 08 20:49 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have any information on James Robinson's family history?

Best wishes

Mosh

Offline marytricia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 February 16 17:26 GMT (UK) »
mrs dodsley was murdered in 1954 it was my second cousin that was hanged for it, my family often spoke of it so l did research it, any help l can give to Mosh just ask

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 12 February 16 10:47 GMT (UK) »
http://www.britishexecutions.co.uk/execution-content.php?key=872

ALSO: I found this on facebook:
"James Robinson - convicted by a palm print.

83 year old Mary Ann Dodsley lived alone at “The Hollies” in Skegby in Nottinghamshire. On the afternoon of December the 15th 1954 she had a friend round to tea.

The following morning a neighbour noticed one of her windows was broken and unable to get a reply from Mary, called the police. They found the old lady dead on her bedroom floor under a mattress. The post-mortem found that she had been raped and strangled.

The broken window was examined and a palm print found. A footprint was also discovered. The Mansfield police took palm prints from 68 men and these were examined by Superintendent Maurice Ray. One had 16 points of similarity to the one on the window glass. Only six points of similarity were required for the print to be considered a match.

The print belonged to 27 year old James Robinson who was a labourer at a nearby turkey farm.

He was charged with the murder and tried at Birmingham on the 25th to the 29th of March 1955, before Mr. Justice Jones.  The defense argued that Mary had been killed between 9pm. and 10pm. and if this was the case then Robinson could not be guilty as he had a solid alibi for this time, drinking with friends in a local pub. The prosecution contended that Mary had died between 11pm. and 1am. the following morning. Either way Robinson could provide no explanation as to why his palm print was found at the scene.

Robinson’s appeal was heard on the 9th of May and he was hanged at Lincoln prison on Tuesday the 24th of May 1955, by Albert Pierrepoint and Harry Allen."
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline marytricia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 13 February 16 10:18 GMT (UK) »
thanks i already had that info, my mum and gran told me so much about jimmy i did get all the case files but lost them when moving home, mrs dodsley was my mums aged friend, do you need any more info if so let me know and i will give it to you as l find it,

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 13 February 16 11:45 GMT (UK) »
thanks i already had that info, my mum and gran told me so much about jimmy i did get all the case files but lost them when moving home, mrs dodsley was my mums aged friend, do you need any more info if so let me know and i will give it to you as l find it, 

Hi Mary Tricia.
I have no personal interest, but was intrigued and when I found the write up on face book I put it here in case anyone else is interested.
Glad you already have that info. Assume therefore the details are correct?
All the best.  :D
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.