Author Topic: McLEAN/McCLAN  (Read 3528 times)

Offline SophiaG

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McLEAN/McCLAN
« Reply #9 on: Friday 24 April 09 08:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane,

Yes that is definitely the line I am descended from.  If you have more information on Rhoda and James's ancestors I would be extremely grateful as I know nothing about them or their ancestors.  You can private message me if you prefer. Many many thanks.

Offline silvery

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • information Crown Copyright, from www.nation
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 24 April 09 08:59 BST (UK) »
What a very interesting thread!   It's great that you've all found each other!  The power of rootschat, eh?   

You need to have 3 posts or so before you can send or receive a private message (PM), just a hint, before you start to wonder.  Just click on  a person's name will do the trick for a PM.  Or on the green scrolly thing, if they're online and it's bright green.

Please do keep us informed how you all get on, we love to know.
"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline SophiaG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 24 April 09 11:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks.  In 1871 Sophia Goodwin was visiting with her daughter Beatrice and staying with her brother (?) George McLean in the district of St Pancreas. Ten years before she seems to have been in Ipswich with her parents and siblings.

Offline Shane H

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 27 August 21 22:38 BST (UK) »
Hi - Shane here again after several years, having lost Ruth's contacts details for the time being. I think I may have worked out who the boys in the photo are. Mary Ann Gaze, sister of Rhoda, my 3x great grandmother (who married James McLean), married Benjamin Bensley in 1837 at Colby, Norfolk. They then emigrated to Ontario, where son Robert was born in 1838. His eldest daughter, Helen Bensley, born 1858, married Charles Kerr, leading to 4 sons, George Robert Vandeleur Kerr (b 1882), John Benjamin Bensley Kerr (1884), Charles Russell Kerr (1886) and Gordon Douglas Kerr (1889). The names and link to Norfolk seem too much of a coincidence for the boys in the photo to be anyone other than these 4, though this would put the date of the photo to 1890/91, maybe. Regards, Shane