Author Topic: Help with FTM  (Read 955 times)

Offline rickandshirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with FTM
« on: Sunday 06 July 08 11:51 BST (UK) »
can anyone help me please?  I deleted notes in FTM and now when I generate a report I have a huge gap.  How can I fix it?
Shirl

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
Re: Help with FTM
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 July 08 11:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Shirl,

Welcome to Rootschat  :D

I expect you mean a genealogy report, when you click on report, then go to the top of the page and click on 'contents', then on 'options', and see what boxes you've got ticked. Uncheck 'include individual notes' if that box is ticked.

Hope that solves it, if not, will try something else  :)

Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline rickandshirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 July 08 02:09 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your kind welcome, and your fast reply Barbara, much appreciated.  Perhaps I didn't explain my problem correctly ... when I generate
a genealogy report I have a huge gap where I typed in notes & later deleted
because they were with the wrong person.  Is there any way to eliminate the gap I've caused?  I don't want to print out a report with half a page of wasted space in the middle.
Shirl

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 July 08 02:34 BST (UK) »
I can't understand if you've deleted notes that there should be a big gap.  When you look at the individual note page for that person, is the blue slider at the side blue or colourless? If blue, maybe they didn't delete properly, you could perhaps try deleting the whole blank individual note page again

I have just tried with my own tree, deleted a whole page of notes for one man, then looked at the report and the space for notes for him on there was only about 1"

Barbara  :-\
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline downside

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Make my day
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 07 July 08 09:49 BST (UK) »
It is possible that when you deleted the notes that you left 'end of line' markers in place, that are not visible.  Basically there are formatting characters characters that tell the notes section to use word wrap when you get to the end of a line so that text automatically goes on to the next line.

If you have a program like MS Word for instance and turn 'view formatting' on you will see all the background stuff that positions text and spacing that is normally hidden.  Included are paragraph markers that tell the text to wrap and go to the next line.  If you deleted the text in a strange way then these paragraph markers may still be there and causing this space problem.

You may want to COMPACT FILE to fix the space problems.

Click on Tools >> Compact File and follow the instructions i.e. make a backup first.
Sussex: Floate, West
Kent: Tuffee
Cheshire: Gradwell
Lancashire: Gradwell

UK Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rickandshirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 July 08 03:39 BST (UK) »
Brilliant!  All fixed, thank you for your help Barbara & Downside.
Shirl