Author Topic: Badge & Medals ID please  (Read 1114 times)

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Badge & Medals ID please
« on: Monday 07 July 08 17:23 BST (UK) »
I'm posting this on behalf of a cousin who's not a member here, and these are the best photos she has available. The first one is William Arthur MORLEY (b. 1886) in his WW1 uniform. Can anyone identify the cap badge, please?

Before and after the war he was in the Metropolitan Police, and the second photo shows his medals. Can anyone tell me what they are, please?

I can't get in touch with my cousin at present with any queries, but even if I could, I don't think she has anything to add to the above - hence the questions  :)

Thanks for any help,
Arthur
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline neil1821

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Badge & Medals ID please
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 July 08 18:33 BST (UK) »
Arthur,
The cap badge might be identifiable if we're given a fighting chance!  :)
In other words it needs to be rescanned at a much bigger scale/better resolution (just the cap, rest of the photo is superfluous). All I can make out at the moment is a blob.
But he is a sergeant I notice.

Second photo much better!
Left to right:
British War Medal
Victory Medal
?? but will check my books
some coronation or jubilee medal (again I'll check)
Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.
Military History & Medals

Offline neil1821

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 July 08 18:40 BST (UK) »
My first thoughts on the other two............

Left to right:
British War Medal
Victory Medal
1911 Coronation (police version)?
1935 Jubilee Medal?
Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.
Military History & Medals

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 July 08 19:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Neil. What you say about the medals would certainly fit - I forgot to mention that he retired in 1936, so maybe this is a retirement photo?

As I said, I can't contact my cousin at present, but when I can, I'll see if she can do another scan of the cap badge.

Arthur
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 05 September 08 16:35 BST (UK) »
Sorry it's taken a while - I've only just been able to get back in touch with my cousin. Unfortunately she tells me that the photo with the cap badge was blown up from a very small original, and she can't get the badge any clearer. Anyway, thanks for the help on the medals.

Arthur

Offline kyt

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.cfww2.com Commonwealth Forces of WW2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 06 September 08 01:15 BST (UK) »
I don't know whether you have tried accessing his records (or whether they were part of the 1940 blitzed group) but have you tried the Met Police Museum for his records? They maybe able to shed some light:

http://www.met.police.uk/history/records.htm

K

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 06 September 08 14:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the link - I'll pass it on to my cousin. She has been in touch with the Met in the past, but they weren't able to tell her anything about his military service, unfortunately. However, some of the other links on the page might be useful.

Arthur