Author Topic: US Census 1880  (Read 1070 times)

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
US Census 1880
« on: Tuesday 08 July 08 18:47 BST (UK) »
Looking for help with US census. I understand that the census was taken by enumerators over a period of weeks not on a particular day. I have a Toohey family Patrick head of family in Norwich city Chenango county New York in 1880. I am aware that the family moved shortly afterwards to Colorado. But in the 1880 JGolden Twp Jefferson Colorado have found a Patrick Toohey and 16 yr old son William who could be the same family. Is it possible that people could have been recorded twice in different locations.

Would welcome any suggestions
Annclare
Kerrisk, Healy, McGuire, Duggan - Kerry and US
Tuohy/Toohey,Gorman, Purcell, Fanning- Holycross Tipperary

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: US Census 1880
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 July 08 01:50 BST (UK) »
Yes, it is possible.  Just helped KASCON with a man that appears twice on the Utah 1880 census with two different women.  The men were listed as being several years different in age, just as the Patrick Toohey.  I looked at both the census pages you identified, and the New York one was taken on 3 June 1880 and lists Patrick (45), a wife Bridget, and 6 children.  The Golden, CO listing was taken 15 June 1880 and includes Patrick (42) and William (16) only.  If this is the same man, what happened to Bridget and the other 5 children?  I'll look at the 1900 census and see if I can find the family group.

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 July 08 02:19 BST (UK) »
There is a possible match in 1900 for a family group living in Montana.  It is possible that Patrick and the oldest son went West looking for their pot of gold in 1880 and made it to Colorado.  The Patrick Toohey (63) in Montana is listed as a miner with wife Bridget (61) and children: Richard 35, Patrick 27, Annie 28, Mary 23.  It also states that they immigrated from Ireland in 1874, except Mary, who was born in New York.  Patrick and Bridget have been married 40 years and Bridget has had 7 children of whom 5 are still living.  All the males are miners.

What other possible spellings are there for this name.  How is it pronounced?  How would it sound with an Irish accent to a person living in the states?

Offline nickgc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • GGF J. James McLellan 1864-1908
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 July 08 02:26 BST (UK) »
Genealiza beat me by a hair...

Here is the 1900 Silver Bow, Montana cite:  Series: T623  Roll: 914  Page: 154
McLellan - Inverness
Greer - Renfrewshire
Manson - Aberdeen & Orkney
Simpson - Hereford, Devon, etc.
Flett - Orkney
Chisholm - Scotland
Wishart - Orkney
Shand - Aberdeen
Pirie - Aberdeen

-----
Theology is never any help; it is searching in a dark cellar at midnight for a black cat that isn't there.   -Robert Heinlein

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 July 08 09:09 BST (UK) »
Genealiza and Nickgc

Thank you both very much for the amazingly speedy replies. Yes the Patrick Toohey of Norwich 1880 and Butte 1900 are the same family. They remained in Butte from then. Bridget's  -Patrick's wife- obit gave the information that they moved to Butte c.1898 having spent about 18 years in Colorado. I have information on most of the family and their children except for Thomas b. c. 1865 whom I have not been able to find after Norwich. The family show up in directories in Denver in the early 1890's but not in the 1885 Colorado census. so when I came across the Golden Jefferson entry I wondered if Patrick the father with his eldest son had gone out to Colorado to establish themselves with the rest of the family following later. I'm wondering if Thomas died in Colorado.
The surname sounds like 2hee and other variants are Tuohy Touhy/ey Toohy

Many thanks again
Annclare

Offline Ohio Susan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 July 08 05:24 BST (UK) »
Just in case you don't have this

SCHOFIELD - Lancashire, Manchester, Oldham

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 10 July 08 09:45 BST (UK) »
To Ohio Susan
Thanks for that - I did have a copy of it and have got death certificate from Mexico. I don't know if it refers to Patrick the son of Bridget and Patrick Toohey or not. There is a mystery about this son as family lore has it that he lived after 1902 married and had a family but had some difficulty with the law moved to PA - and changed his identity but not his surname. So am having trouble finding him in PA. I have found another Patrick Toohey of the same era with supposedly different parents. There are quite a number of inconsistencies about this person which makes me wonder but the paper trail seems to show they are not the same person. So the search goes on!!

Many thanks again
annclare