Author Topic: FRYER & NUTTING in Baldock  (Read 1441 times)

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
FRYER & NUTTING in Baldock
« on: Wednesday 09 July 08 09:34 BST (UK) »
I am looking for any information about my Fryer & Nutting families in Baldock in the 18th century and earlier.  My direct ancestors were James Fryer (probably bapt 1682 in Royston) who married Elizabeth Nutting (d/o Henry) in 1717 in Baldock.  I have the IGI records of baptisms for 9 children of this couple. 

There is no mother mentioned on the baptism record for Elizabeth Nutting,  so I don't even have her mothers first name,  the eldest child I could see of Henry's was Martha bapt 1673 so I am looking for a marriage around that time for Henry Nutting to ? 

The Fryer family were involved in the brewing industry in Baldock later on but I am not sure how far back this connection goes.  I would really like to 'put some flesh on the bones' of the members of these families which is not easy in the era before the census.  Any snippits will be very welcome

:)

DebbieG
Pay(n)ton, Payton, Pe(a)rton all Oxfordshire and Berkshire - particularly Abingdon

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Fryer & Nutting in Baldock
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 July 08 23:40 BST (UK) »
Hi DebbieG,

I just did a quick google of

"James Fryer" "Nutting" "Hertfordshire"

and had success/hit with the website "the Peerage.com"

They don't have much info but at least your ancestors are mentioned in high places  ;D

Try various versions of Fryer or Nutting and Herts or Baldock on Google - you may find lots of info in a book called "Antiquities of Hertfordshire" by Chauncy. - It's available to download in full from Google Books and has been a tremendous help with my 16/17th cent. rellies.

Good luck

Di

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Fryer & Nutting in Baldock
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 July 08 09:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply Lady Di - yes I have seen the entry in the peerage and been in touch with the guy who runs the site,  cos it is wrong,  its OK back as far as James Fryer & Elizabeth Nutting but when he checked it he admitted he had mixed up two different Fryer families and put the wrong inof on,  he was going to change it but its still there 3 months later   :-\

Great tip about the Hertsfordshire history book (I love Google Books)  I will try and see what I can find

:)

DebbieG

Pay(n)ton, Payton, Pe(a)rton all Oxfordshire and Berkshire - particularly Abingdon

Offline RichardK

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: FRYER & NUTTING in Baldock
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 July 08 07:12 BST (UK) »
If you look at Hertfordshire Names Online:

https://www.hertsdirect.org/ufs/ufsmain?esessionid=6A4F9BD526E8AA79E21527D109AC16EF_1&formid=HALS_INDEXES

there's a 1711 mortgage of a messuage in High Street,  Baldock by Henry Nutting.
Regards
Richard.
Kelly, Birkenhead & Co. Kildare
Marshall, Luton & area
Reid, Co. Kildare & Dublin
Cox, Barnack Northamptonshire
Edwards, Pagham, Sussex & area
Scott, Roxburghshire & Perthshire
Mitchell, Warwickshire
Savage, Hampshire