Author Topic: 44 Great Marylebone Street, early 19th century COMPLETED  (Read 2894 times)

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
44 Great Marylebone Street, early 19th century COMPLETED
« on: Wednesday 16 July 08 18:30 BST (UK) »
Are there any trade directories for London for the earlier years of the 19th century? I am interested in 44 GREAT MARYLEBONE STREET. In Pigot's 1839 (I believe) my ancestor Henry Page is listed as a butcher at that address. I would like to know when he began to live/ trade in that place. His origins are still a mystery to me: the census records him born Charlwood, Surrey, though I can find no baptismal record. I'm hoping to find some information that might lead me back to his parents and birthplace.
For any help I should be most grateful

Offline Dave Francis

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cornelius Fisk Goodwin (1880-1961)
    • View Profile
Re: 44 Great Marylebone Street, early 19th century
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 July 08 19:15 BST (UK) »
Pigot’s Directory of London, 1836 (page 303)
Page Henry William, butcher, 44 Great Marylebone st

Can't see him in Pigot’s Directory of London, 1825. A bit too early?

But there is this later possibility...

Post Office Directory of London, 1843 (page 315)
Page Hy. & Elizth. tripe dressers, 11 Clare st. Clare market
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Surnames include: FRANCIS in Glamorgan / LANWORN in Monmouth / BLACKMAN, RUSSELL in Sussex / KEARSEY, BARLTROP in Essex / TOOKEY in Leicestershire / LASHMORE in London and Kent / GOODWIN, PASQUE, ATTOE, FISK, QUINTON, RUFFLES, CULLINGFORD and others in Suffolk / MAYOSS anywhere anytime! / GILMORE in Belfast

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 July 08 21:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave -
Many thanks for an informative and helpful reply. In fact the first entry (Pigot's 1836) solves a difficulty for me. My ancestor, Henry Page, had a son Henry William Page (who appears on his first child's birth certificate, 1838) as an innkeeper in Chertsey, though on his marriage certificate (Cheltenham 1837) he is a butcher of 44 Gt Marylebone St. I had been wondering whether the business was his or his father's, and your reply strongly suggests that it was his. In 1836 Henry William was 21 years old: at 29 he died of consumption. The search for the earlier life of his father, Henry Page, goes on!

My ancestor's wife in the 1841 census was Jane, and the family lived at 20 Bury Street, off Piccadilly - so I'm sure that the tripe dresser is not an ancestor.

Once again, many thanks for your help :)+
Ian in Cornwall

Offline Bryant

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Grandfather Bryant 1897
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 July 08 06:20 BST (UK) »
Hello Ian

The 1841 would certainly assist with trying to find Henry's earlier existence and I have to admit curiosity with the pecking order of this family!

BURY STREET, ST JAMES WESTMINSTER, MIDDX
HENRY PAGE                50   IND                       NO
GEORGE VENEPANY     25     M.S                     NO
THOMAS PAGE             15   GROCER                YES
HORACE PAGE            12                               YES
WILLIAM PAGE             9                                  YES
FRANCIS DOWNY          8                                  YES
LANE PAGE                   50                                 NO
\
CATHERINE STOKESBURY 25     F.S                   NO
----------------

*their is also an EDMOND PAGE age 20 living at Bury Street, he is a male servant and born "foreign" .......I don't suppose he is related but just in case.

WILLIAM HENRY PAGE..............B. 2 JUL 1831.....C.7 AUG 1831....ST JAMES WESTMINSTER....HENRY & JANE
HORACE HAVERHILL PAGE........B.8 NOV 1828....C. 5 DEC 1828                       "           "                 "        "

HENRY WILLIAM PAGE that died in 1844........is that the father?

Bryant
Researching names BRYANT (Camberwell), PASTERFIELD (Essex and all), RAY (Holborn/Islington areas back to Brentford), POWELL (Glouc & beyond?)
Fletcher (Glouc into Warwickshie into Lancs?), BUCKLEY (Chatham area), Watson (Chatham area).

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 July 08 09:42 BST (UK) »
Hi and thanks for your reply:
I obtained the marriage certificate of my ancestor Henry William Page (Cheltenham RO 1837), which gave his address prior to marriage as 44 Gt Marylebone St, his occupation as butcher and his father's name as Henry Page. Later I obtained Henry William Page's death certificate - he died 1 Oct 1844 at 20 Bury Street (of consumption age 29years 9months, giving him a DOB late 1814 or early 1815), the informant's name being Henry Page.

This led me to the census record you identify, and to Henry Page who I assume must be Henry William Page's father. I'm interested that you managed to decipher the enumerator's terrible handwriting in the name Horace. That it was Horace seems to be confirmed by the IGI record you mention of Horace Haverhill Page, 1828.

In the 1841 record, Francis Downey turns out to be the son of one of Henry Page's daughters, Mary Teresa, who married Francis Downey 11 July 1831, St James Westminster. I found Henry Page again in 1851 living in Hillingdon - described as an annuitant, 61 years old. Living with him was Catherine Downey, another child of his daughter Mary Teresa. I think Francis Downey was the son of a plumber in Duke Street. Henry's will of 1851 (see below) refers to his son-in-law as a plumber.

Henry Page died in the summer of 1851: in his will he lists all his daughters by their married names, noting that he did not know the present whereabouts of Mary Teresa. I have so far been unable to find Mary Teresa and her husband in 1841, and unable to find the Downey children in any later census. There is a possible Mary Teresa in 1851 - a Mary Downey, general servant, was an inmate of Westminster workhouse, and FreeBMD records the death of a Mary Theresa Downey in Westminster 1854. There is a possible record for Francis Downey in 1851 as a seaman, in a long list of seamen in Middlesex, Poplar.

I have failed so far to find any later mention of Horace Haverhill Page - he does not seem to be listed as a death, though many deaths, I suppose, went unrecorded. It is possible that he emigrated. In his will Henry Page does not mention his sons by name: he simply refers to 'such of my sons as may be still alive at the time of my death', and Admon was granted to a Charles George Page 'the natural and lawful son of Henry Page'. Charles George was born around 1824 and in 1841 is found as a butcher in Hillingdon, close to where his father would die in 1851.

So far I have found nothing that might help me find Henry Page's origins, or the origins (and maiden name) of his wife Jane.

Thanks again for your reply and for your interest, and if you have any suggestions that might help, I would be really grateful. I am still a novice in the field of family research
Ian in Cornwall

Offline Bryant

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 18 July 08 11:14 BST (UK) »
DUKES STREET, ST JAMES WESTMINSTER
FRANCIS DOWNEY   60  PLUMBER    YES
MARIA         "            45                    YES
GEORGE      "            15                    YES
MARIA          "            10                    YES
------------

SILVER STREET, ST JAMES WESTMINSTER
FRANCIS DOWNEY    35   PLUMBER    YES
MARY           "            29                      YES
FRANCIS      "            10                      YES
KATE            "            8                        YES
MARY           "             6                        YES
JANE            "             2                        YES
------------
Researching names BRYANT (Camberwell), PASTERFIELD (Essex and all), RAY (Holborn/Islington areas back to Brentford), POWELL (Glouc & beyond?)
Fletcher (Glouc into Warwickshie into Lancs?), BUCKLEY (Chatham area), Watson (Chatham area).

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 18 July 08 15:46 BST (UK) »
You are obviously better than I am at census searching. Although I did a Soundex search of Ancestry 1841, I failed to find Francis and Mary - the name mistranscribed 'Dowsey', although the original enumerator's handwriting seems clear enough. This is undoubtedly Mary Teresa [Page] and family. The 'Kate' is likely to be the same person as Catherine Downey who lived with Henry Page in Hillingdon in 1851; I found her details in IGI (born 6 Jul 1833, baptised 9 Mar 1834, St James, Westminster). 'Mary' will be Mary Eliza (same parents - IGI christened 2 Aug 1835, St James). The only minor mystery is why young Francis is recorded at both Silver Street, with his parents, and Bury Street, with his grandparents - but that I suppose is easily explained.

It looks as though between 1841 and 1851 Francis Downey, husband of Mary Teresa, either died, deserted ... or even emigrated. It seems likely that the Mary Downey I located as an inmate of Westminster workhouse was Henry Page's daughter - likewise the Mary Theresa Downey who died in Westminster in 1854. Shame, as when Henry Page died in summer 1851 (having no idea, according to his will, of Mary Teresa's whereabouts), she stood to inherit a tidy sum.

The Francis Downey you found in Duke Street looks like the father of Mary's husband. I think I find him again in 1851 living Kensington/ Paddington (HO 107, piece 1466, folio 338, page 30) ... though he is recorded as Thomas, rather than Francis. In 1851 he lived with his wife Maria (as in 1841), his daughter-in-law and a grandchild - and is again recorded as a plumber. I wonder why the change of forename?

Thanks again for your help and expertise
Ian

Offline Bryant

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 18 July 08 16:04 BST (UK) »
Ian

You found the marriage of Mary Theresa Page to Francis Downey on the LDS site........if you had clicked the batch number in the bottom left hand corner and then input Downey in the surname box it would have revealed..........

FELIX FRANCIS FOX DOWNEY married MARIA GRIMSHAW on the 6th Sept 1814 at ST JAMES WESTMINSTER..........and if this is Francis (senior) as seen in 1841...Maria wouldn't have been his first wife as you would think that Francis Downey aged 35 in 1841 is his son...........

those batch numbers are handy especially when looking for siblings

FIRST MARRIAGE?..............Their is a possibility that Felix Downey married Ann Newell on the 1st March 1806 at Saint Marys Portsea, Hampshire and then moved to the smoke where Francis (junior) was born?........although he does state Middx (YES) as his place of birth in 1841

Have fun
Bryant