Author Topic: mobility amongst shoemakers  (Read 2031 times)

Offline Carole A

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
mobility amongst shoemakers
« on: Wednesday 16 July 08 19:23 BST (UK) »
I am trying to work out why a particular family of mine had a couple marrying in Manchester in 1799, and had a child in each of Falmouth in 1806 and Battle in 1811 before settling in Wiltshire by the mid 1820s.

One thought I had was that one son was a cordwainer/boot and shoe maker (the other a carpenter) - is there any itinerant tradition here?

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: mobility amongst shoemakers
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 June 12 12:26 BST (UK) »
just browsing..........

I wonder if the father could have been a “journeyman”?   ::)

That was the name for someone who had been apprenticed to a master, and completed a fixed term of usually 5 to 7 years to learn his trade, but had not yet submitted a master piece of work to the relevant guild for evaluation in order to be admitted to that guild as a master himself.  The journeyman was able to travel and would be paid for his days work, but not to employ others. 

I feel Manchester to Battle via Falmouth is logical enough by sea, but Wiltshire ………..

If you think of Hardy’s “Jude the Obscure” who was a journeyman stone mason, (if I remember correctly,) he walked massive distances to join building projects, and I have been told of people who walked from Plymouth to Falmouth to get work harvesting cauliflowers. :o

At least a shoemaker could repair his own shoes!!  :)
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Carole A

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 June 12 20:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that pondering. I'm no closer to finding a solution as I can't find evidence of the man concerned in terms of birthplace, occupation or death, only the woman (born and married in Manchester).

Their children were, however, strict Baptists, so I am also following up on the itinerant preacher angle.

Maybe they settled in Wiltshire to save souls/ soles? :)

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 June 12 21:01 BST (UK) »
I like the preacher angle.   ;D
That could indeed be why they stepped out.

It does get soooo hard pre-registration, but hopefully one day you will strike lucky.
 :)
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 16 June 12 22:11 BST (UK) »
How about a shoemaking connection to the military? Mt own great grandfather was a bootmaker who followed the work. He worked last at his trade at Queensferry when the Forth Bridge was under construction. The builders needed boots.

Skoosh

Offline Carole A

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 16 June 12 22:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks, I did wonder about that. Or the navy. Facts known (not that I am expecting anyone to do a miracle for me!) - my GGgrandfather, Edward Curtis, was born to Christopher and Martha Curtis at Falmouth Harbour (?naval connection?) in 1806. They then had a son, Christopher, in Battle in 1811. Census, IGI and parish records pretty well substantiate this. IGI has a marriage of a Christopher Curtis and Martha ?Burgady? in Manchester cathedral in 1799 and census records indicate her place of birth as Manchester, so this could be them. Christopher snr is nowhere to be found on any digital records I can locate. Edward and his brother both live in Westbury Leigh/Dilton Marsh in Wiltshire, both are Strict Baptists attached to the Providence Chapel, Penknap. There are indeed other Curtis' around but none are listed anywhere as related, so far as I can ascertain.

The shoemaking connection was a guess, as Edward certainly passed the trade on to his sons so long as the local trade lasted. He was literate, which strengthens the Baptist connection, perhaps. The chapel certainly attracted preachers from all around the country (who would also have had other trades) so whilst speculating, I have this image of fiery Baptist preachers banging out leather shoes whilst quoting the Old Testament...

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 17 June 12 08:36 BST (UK) »
Troubled with his "sole" Carole. True to the "last".

Skoosh.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 17 June 12 09:29 BST (UK) »
Good one Skoosh............

Did he preach in a country "brogue" I wonder?
 ::)

Offline Carole A

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 17 June 12 18:59 BST (UK) »
His family were certainly very straight laced...