Author Topic: Which Regiment?  (Read 4244 times)

Offline Andy Pay

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Which Regiment?
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 23 August 08 21:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Pam,
I trust that you had a good holiday??
Re these Territorial Battalions, each Regiment had it's own Record Office which can be seen on the MIC's, i.e.
A = Cork Record Office, responsible for the Royal Irish Regiment, Connaught Rangers, Munster Fusiliers & Leinster Regiment
B = Dublin Record Office, responsible for Royal Dublin Fusiliers, Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, Royal Irish Fusiliers & Royal Irish Rifles
C = Exeter Record Office, responsible for D.C.L.I., Wiltshire Regiment, Hampshire Regiment, Dorset Regiment, Somerset Light Infantry & Devon Regiment.
D = Hamilton Record Office, responsible for the Royal Scots, Royal Scots Fusiliers, Scottish Rifles, H.L.I. & K.O.S.B.
E = Hounslow Record Office, responsible for Queens Regiment, Middlesex Regiment, East Surrey Regiment, Royal Sussex Regiment, East Kent Regiment, Royal West Kent Regiment & Cyclist Corps.

These can be seen on the MIC's as code letters denoting what Record Office was responsible for their records.
In your MIC's case it is TP which denoted the London Record Office whereas the M code letter would denote the Winchester Record Office which were responsible for the K.R.R.C. & R.B.

These seven Territorial Battalions, the City of London Territorial Association agreed to assume responsibility for their administration, so all records where kept by the London Record Office.
Hope this all makes a bit of sense, clear as mud as they say.

Andy
The Rifle Brigade in WW1, particularly the 8th Battalion.

Offline Andy Pay

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 23 August 08 21:34 BST (UK) »
The postcard of Abbassia makes perfect sense as on the last day of February 1916 the battalion moved to Abbassia with two companies guarding prisoners at Maadi.

Andy

Offline pammyw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 23 August 08 21:58 BST (UK) »
Andy that's brilliant and yes it does make sense, I'm over the moon to find out so much about him thank you so much.
Pam
Mackenzie, Smith, Oxley all Northumberland. Masters Glos. Wilkins Berks. Vowles Bristol. Griffiths Forest of Dean.

Offline Andy Pay

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 23 August 08 22:14 BST (UK) »
Pam,
Glad that we have been able to help you on this. Send me your e-mail address in a message and I will get this lot over to you.

Andy