Author Topic: Posted for Dean1  (Read 607 times)

Offline mudge

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Posted for Dean1
« on: Sunday 20 July 08 23:47 BST (UK) »
"The attached photos are supposedly all of the same gentleman - the hatless younger one could have been taken during or just after the Boer War, the second, standing one would definitely have been 1914 -1920 but the last one I have never seen before and quite honestly, even allowing for age wearying him and even something nasty and terminal, I just can't believe this is the same man - something to do with the bone structure I think.   Also he had curly/wavy hair and does not now.   I think his hair is dyed also - dark hair going grey has bits all over - just around the hairline is a great giveaway for dye (trust me, I am a dark haired "hairdyer").    I think the ears are different - no point on the left ear now.   There are no further photographs because he died in 1942 age 62 in the Home Guard.    In the photograph that is supposed to be him, he should be wearing Home Guard uniform - is this what it is - I thought the hat looked rather American?    This picture was sent to me a few days ago from New South Wales - it was from The Times 1942 and was to do with a write up on his very recent death which had earned him a posthumous award.

Offline Woodentop50

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scan your photos at 300to600 ppi..........or else
    • View Profile
Re: Posted for Dean1
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 July 08 00:23 BST (UK) »
The man in the midde and the officer on the right , appear to be the same man . The one on the left looks nothing like the other chap , not unless he was run over by a steam roller.   :o

Jim
WOOD in  Hunslet  area of Leeds , West Yorkshire
WOOD in Knottingley , West Yorkshire

Scan your photos at 300 to 600 ppi for best results

Online jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
Re: Posted for Dean1
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 July 08 10:12 BST (UK) »
Doesn't look the same man to me either,also as he served as an officer in WW1 is it likely
he would have served as an ordinary soldier in the Home Guard.
Jim
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline mudge

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile