Author Topic: Help needed with Combe/Comb E Lothian  (Read 6054 times)

Offline terry h

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • With Mum x
    • View Profile
Help needed with Combe/Comb E Lothian
« on: Monday 21 July 08 09:53 BST (UK) »
Clutching at straws here and hoping someone can help, my head is buzzing with this line!
I’m posting in East Lothian because I ‘think’ it might be the right area.

An outline:  My 3g gparents were Francis Combe/Comb & Elizabeth Randell  (Rendall Rendle Randle) but usually Randell.  Elizabeth was 1st child of John Randell/Helen Dickson b Duns Berwickshire 1805,  her last known 2 siblings were b East Lothian 1813/1816.   Francis/Elizabeth had 2 sons William (mine) b 1824 and John b 1826 (ages from Census’s and deaths).  I can find no marriage for F & E, and no births for Wm & John.  I am assuming here that William may have been the name of Francis’s father as second son was John (Elizabeth’s father).
Both Wm & John’s death certs say parents were Francis C & Elizabeth Randell, Combe and then Murdoch and that Francis was Brass Finisher/Jobbing Blacksmith. Oldest son’s of both are Francis.

Elizabeth turns up on the 1841 census in Hawick Roxburghshire with Benjamin Murdoch (no marriage found) and has 2 daughters Helen (abt1831) and Matilda  (abt 1833) Murdoch plus Wm and John.  (Benjamin d Hwk 1849 Dropsy & Eliz d Hwk 1849 Cholera).
Wm & John were the only 2 Combes in Hawick and I have followed these 2 lines successfully up to present day. 

Reason for posting here is Elizabeth’s family were in E Lothian, Wm states b Haddingtonshire EL and the name Francis Combe turns up again as first son of George Combe/Euphemia Cowe b 1861. I bought George’s death from SP but only gives mothers name as Elizabeth Comb. George was b 1843 so not my Elizabeth. There are two other Combs with sons called Francis being born  in the 1860’s E Lothian.

On SP  there is only 1 birth (and it’s in the correct time span) for a Francis b 1797 Cupar Fife to William Comb/Anne Dalyell. Could this  be him??? Because  I cannot find a death for Francis I really have no idea where family were pre 1841 except that Wm states b Haddingtonshire and John Midlothian.

Also Elizabeth’s sister Helen married Benjamin’s brother Joseph, they too were in Hawick in 1841 census again no marriage but I do have births of their 7 children all b Hawick.

Questions…..Did Elizabeth marry neither ‘husband’ and where can I look now?……..Where are her marriages and births of her 4 children? Benjamin and Elizabeth’s daughters were b  Hawick but unlike her sister Helen none recorded!!……..Why no records of any of these on SP surely something was recorded?………Should I post elsewhere?
Is your head buzzing now? I really would appreciate any help or contact with any other Combe/Comb researchers. Many hours have been spent on this family as I tear my hair out!!

Pleading now
Terry
g grandfather Thomas Borthwick 11/11/1882 - KIA 25/9/1915 aged 33 Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Brothers & cousins to Thomas (Both KIA same day)
Robert Johnstone Borthwick 1898 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 21 North Staffordshire Regiment

George Lowden Borthwick 1899 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 19 Royal Scots Fusiliers

gr Uncle Walter Combe b1893 - KIA 12/7/1915 aged 22  Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright  GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline fiona g

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed with Combe/Comb E Lothian
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 July 08 11:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Terrie

found this on Freereg -
Francis Coomb married Elizabeth  Randall 10 Nov 1822 Haddington,
groom occ - smith
witnesses - William Haldane & William Robertson
1st Banns

2nd Banns 17 Nov 1822 with same info as above.

Hope this helps.
Fiona

Offline terry h

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • With Mum x
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 July 08 11:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Fiona
Wow!! I could give you a great big hug. Why did I not think of Coomb, now need to do some more digging.  I can't believe how long I've been at this and you find it in minutes. You've restored some of my sanity!!

You cannot know how grateful I am.

Thanks
Terry
g grandfather Thomas Borthwick 11/11/1882 - KIA 25/9/1915 aged 33 Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Robert Johnstone Borthwick 1898 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 21 North Staffordshire Regiment

gr Uncle Walter Combe b1893 - KIA 12/7/1915 aged 22  Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Offline fiona g

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 July 08 11:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Terrie

found this marriage on Freereg -
Elizabeth Randal married Benjamin MacMurdo 27 April 1828 Haddington
Bride parish Haddington
witnesses Thomas Dickson & Samuel Burry
1st Banns

2nd Banns 4 May 1828 with same info as above
Fiona

Offline terry h

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • With Mum x
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 July 08 12:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Fiona,

What can I say...thanks you thank you thank you. If you're ever in the Scottish Borders I will give you that hug. Husband thinks I'm crazy can't understand the genealogist brain!!

Best Wishes
Terry

Offline fiona g

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 21 July 08 12:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Terry

Glad to have helped.
Fiona

Offline fiona g

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 21 July 08 14:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Terry

There is an Agnes Randal b1808 Berwick parents as Helen Dickson/John Randal,I assume you have John & Martin her brothers.
Fiona

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Christmas 2011. My daughter Clare with me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 21 July 08 14:42 BST (UK) »
Have you been in touch with Familydigger?
She's also researching Comb in Roughly same area - perhaps there's a connection.  Even if not, you may be able to share searches?
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=316520.new#new

Dave
-------------------
FORREST (Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Stirlingshire and Dunbartonshire)
ROONEY (Co Down, Co Antrim) 
BORTHWICK, FORTUNE, BARKER, SIVES (Lothians)
ANDERSON (Moray, Caithness)

Offline terry h

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • With Mum x
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 21 July 08 15:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave,

I have been in touch with Familydigger re transcribing some MI's for her and I noticed then that she had Combes in her family. I sent her a PM on Friday telling her I was looking for Francis Combe and she PM'd me back asking for Francis's details. Therefore today I decided to put the info I had on the 'open market' so to speak also hoping Family digger would recognise something.
Still looking for Francis's birth and also births for his son's William and John but at least now I have the marriage and perhaps some clues with the witnesses.

Thanks for taking the time to point me in this direction.

Regards

Terry